DPM Prawit orders preparations for flooding in Bangkok

webfact

Deputy premier orders preparations for flooding in Bangkok

c2146ca78fcd721ec567e746a68da901.jpg

BANGKOK, 11 June 2019 (NNT) - Deputy Premier and Defense Minister Gen. Prawit Wongsuwan has instructed administrative, military and police officers to coordinate closely in preparations for flooding in all regions of the country during the rainy season, according to Defense Ministry spokesman Lt. Gen. Khongcheep Tantrawanich.

The authorities have been instructed to prepare for the prevention and containment of torrential waters, landslides and flooding in major provinces and to help victims promptly and reduce risks of damage to property and danger to lives. Local public health units are to prevent flood-related epidemics and dengue fevers.

Meanwhile, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration is coordinating with every community to conduct surveys on risk areas and set preventive measures for short circuits and road traffic management around construction sites. The authorities are ensuring that drainage systems, water pumps, water tunnels and canals will be operable to cope with floodwater. The police and military will alleviate traffic congestion caused by flooding, road accidents or vehicles with engine trouble.

nnt_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright nnt 2019-06-11

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Meanwhile, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration is coordinating with every community

Years ago the mayor of Bangkok was Samak Sundaravej who happened to be a colorful fellow. Once he was asked by reporters why he didn't go and see the flooded areas of the city.  He responded with "Why? I'm not Jesus, I can't walk on water." He later got in trouble for cooking food on TV... 

35 minutes ago, Jimbo2014 said:

That super smart democratically elected guy running the show said 5 years ago that Bkk would never flood again! - "its just water taking time to drain."

"...from my brain."

He needs a tap on the head.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Prawit Wongsuwan has instructed administrative, military and police officers to coordinate closely in preparations for flooding in all regions of the country during the rainy season

Rain like 7 or 8 yrs ago and you probably will need a Submariner to tell the time .. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Deputy premier orders preparations for flooding in Bangkok...

Another innovative, comprehensive, and well-thought out plan...to ensure that Bangkok will be thoroughly prepared to flood and will successfully become flooded with maximum effectiveness.

4 hours ago, missoura said:

Years ago the mayor of Bangkok was Samak Sundaravej who happened to be a colorful fellow. Once he was asked by reporters why he didn't go and see the flooded areas of the city.  He responded with "Why? I'm not Jesus, I can't walk on water." He later got in trouble for cooking food on TV... 

In a way, he is absolutely right. He had good intent however the corruption which is indemic throughout the civic system in Thailand crippled his ability to develop the water clearance systems to sufficiently reduce flooding levels in the wet season. The advancement of water treatment must be proactively overseen by the government, using government engineers and I would suggest the army to undertake the developments. Only when funds are not being exchanged for advancements, and those answerable to government overseeing these works, can an environment be created whereby success is not a possibility, but the expected and demanded outcome.

As he said, he cannot walk on water, and the system prevented him from stopping the water from coming. He was a good guy, IMO. Too bad they picked him off over such a small thing.

It because the long range forecast is for another heavy rainy season. As nothing has been finished on the revised drainage system and BMA has no clue, he has no option - its a potentially massive knife for the oppposition to plunge into the "governments" back.

Archived