Premchai convicted of bribery in poaching case, handed another year in jail

webfact

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Just one question when is he actually going to start any sentence????

A really challenging question … :whistling:

6 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

When/if the appeal process he, as well as all other Thais, is entitled to, is exhausted either way.

Doesn't stop Thaigeezers from jumping on the Outrage Bus though.

People tend to forget that the big thing with people like this is not the fine or sentence its the loss of Face.

Well well, he loses again. And do not forget the charges he beat they are bringing them back and going to try him a 2nd time. It's funny to see people say how the rich get off and the poor don't. The very first sentence of this story says they acquitted his aid of bribery. They pinned it all on premchai and he's got time to serve for it. So much for your theories.

And I can't believe there are still people that bring up the so called mushroom pickers. They were never accused, tried, or convicted for picking mushrooms. Don't be so gullible. It's funny because it is actually some of you people who are so biased. If Premchai said he was out picking mushrooms and had nothing to do with the black panther you would call him a liar and become angry. But if a poor person is caught red handed felling trees in the forest and says he was just out picking mushrooms and had nothing to do with it you just believe them. That's blatant bias. And you could care less about the other people at the camp. You simply care about one man because he is rich and if everyone else goes free you say nothing and don't care. You need to look at your reeking, biased viewpoints.

I also find it hard to believe that old fat fingers could have been the shooter. C'mon guys this wasn't a petting zoo. He probably couldn't hobble 10 feet into the forest without falling over and die of a heart attack. But even as not the shooter he's guilty as sin for his involvement and deserves the book to be thrown at him (as does EVERYONE there) and i am glad charges are sticking and they are methodically trying him a 2nd time for ones that didn't.

What I don't understand most is why Ital Thai continues to stand by and do absolutely nothing. Not only does it make them look bad, but this must be harmful to their business and it's not going away.

6 hours ago, tubby johnson said:

Silly charade.

This monster will never spend a second behind bars. The dust beneath his feet, his underlings will take the blame.

The cops arrest him. The cops save face.

The media scream "prosecute him!". The media save face.

The judge sentences him. The judge saves face.

It's all for show to hoodwink the common folk.

Standard operating procedure probably applies. Unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

People tend to forget that the big thing with people like this is not the fine or sentence its the loss of Face.

Jail time would be good for him. He would lose some belly as well as face.

2 hours ago, Psimbo said:

When/if the appeal process he, as well as all other Thais, is entitled to, is exhausted either way.

Doesn't stop Thaigeezers from jumping on the Outrage Bus though.

That's a very big face to loose????

9 hours ago, JAG said:

A good question - perhaps when the "right person" has "acquired sufficient influence" to take over his business assets?

This could very well be the only accurate post in this thread. But then again his rivals for the high speed train projects or some other mega projects could be getting down and dirty.

Another year in jail for Premchai over bribery bid

By The Nation

6d0b8161aeea8e58bd3cf4b245f6c4cd.jpeg

Premchai

Construction tycoon out on Bt200,000 bail, plans to appeal

CONSTRUCTION tycoon Premchai Karnasuta was sentenced to one year in jail yesterday after being found guilty of trying to bribe officials while being arrested at the Thung Yai Naresuan Wildlife Sanctuary in Kanchanaburi early last year. 

The Criminal Court for Corruption and Misconduct Cases Region 7 meted out the guilty verdict against Premchai after hearing during the trial that Premchai had asked arresting officials: “Can you help me? Or do you have any condition? If you release me, I will bring whatever you wish for”. 

The court said that though Premchai did not specifically say what exactly he would give the officials in return for his release, his words strongly suggested an intention to bribe.

Under Thai law, offering bribes to induce officials to do, not do or delay their duties is a crime punishable by a maximum jail term of five years and/or fine of Bt10,000. 

Premchai’s aide Yong Dodkhruea, who was arrested along with the tycoon at the wildlife sanctuary last year, was also named in the bribery case, but the court acquitted him of the charge. 

After hearing the verdict yesterday, Premchai was granted bail on a Bt200,000 guarantee and has 30 days to appeal the verdict. As he walked out of court, he was surrounded by reporters asking about his next move. 

“I will appeal,” he said, refusing to elaborate and only saying that he needs to fully understand the situation first. 

The one-year jail term on bribery will be added to the 16-month term the powerful president of Italian-Thai Development Co was handed by the Thong Pha Phum Provincial Court on March 20 in relation to the poaching case involving Premchai and several accomplices, including Yong. 

The 16-month term included six months for carrying firearms in public without permission, eight months for “aiding others in hunting game in a wildlife sanctuary without permission” and two months for possessing the carcass of a protected species – a Kalij pheasant – without permission. 

Yong was jailed for 13 months for carrying a weapon and illegally possessing the carcass of a black leopard. Two other defendants, both of whom worked for Premchai, were also convicted of related crimes.

Premchai’s driver Thanee Thummart was sentenced to two years and 17 months in prison for several offences, including possession of the black leopard’s carcass and hunting inside a wildlife sanctuary. Premchai’s cook Natee Riemsan received a suspended four-month jail term and was fined Bt10,000 for possessing the leopard carcass. 

The Thong Pha Phum court also ordered Premchai and Thanee to pay Bt2 million plus 7.5 per cent annual interest in compensation to the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation, which oversees the Thung Yai Naresuan wildlife sanctuary. 

Premchai, Yong and Thanee are now out on bail pending a possible appeal. The Department of Appellate Litigation Region 7 in May appealed against the first court’s decision, saying Premchai should have been punished for other offences too

Premchai is fighting another court battle over the illegal possession of the tusks of endangered African elephants. 

His wife Kanitha and close aide Wandee Sompoom are also charged in this case. Police seized the tusks along with 43 guns during an investigation launched after Premchai was arrested for allegedly poaching wildlife in the Kanchanaburi sanctuary.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30370916

thenation_logo.jpg

It must be remembered that K. PREMCHAI is just one of many hi-so Thai people who seem to think that the law applies in a different way to themselves.

Many we never hear of as they are correct in their belief ...... we can see that although Premchai is been given a hard time, the authorities are having a devil of a time making a pretty clear cut case stick.

Far from being an example of justice at work it shows how it still is balanced heavily in favour of the rich and well connected.

17 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

I was thinking the same thing...

is going to serve the time, when does it start from (or is another stalling appeal going to drag it out further) or is going to be a suspended sentence?

Fining a multi-millionaire is pointless !

In another report when Premchai was asked for comment by s reporter in leaving the court armed with a walking stick, he said, “My leg hurts.” I assume that was play acting to lend credibility to all his no shows due to “bad health” which was not bad enough to prevent him from poaching wild animals in a national park.

Of course he will never spend a day in jail but at least he is getting a bit of a run around, allegedly due to having some enemies in the current regime.

I have my doubts that he will spend any time in jail. Appeal delay, appeal delay. 20 years later he will have died a natural death having never spent any time in jail.

20 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I am sure I am not alone in being convinced that one way or another this fat dog will never serve a day of any of the sentences behind bars. Money talks way too loud here and there is never any true justice for the rich.

Money talks and Hiso walk - It's only a matter of time before the books are balanced.

That tub of lard will never see the inside of a jail cell. He is too well connected, has more money than 98% of the so called Thai Hi So's and that my friends means that here in the Land of Smiles he is bomb proof. B.F.D. if he is sentenced to more jail time, that is pure twaddle and just a face facing way of making the Thai Judicial system look like they are actually applying equal justice for all.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, Ulic said:

I have my doubts that he will spend any time in jail. Appeal delay, appeal delay. 20 years later he will have died a natural death having never spent any time in jail.

A Thai friend told me that will never go to jail. If he fails to win the various appeals, then only his name will go to jail - he will not.????

Archived