Savannakhet, a visa to die for ?

Seems you really need to avoid Mondays and Thursdays due to the visa run companies.

I lodged my application the day before and it was quiet.

I did see the huge queue for lodging the next day when I arrived to pick mine up.

As for the queue jumpers, I agree.

I arrived to pick up my visa at 1220 and there were half a dozens bags

left at the front. I moved in front of the bags. IMO, that's the advantage

you get for queuing up an hour and a half early.

Dropping a bag off 2 hours early and then buggering off and expecting

to come back and go the head of the queue is a bit untidy I think.

Just as an aside, would it really hurt for the embassy to put a couple of fans up and maybe some bench seats! After queuing for over 90 minutes I was sweating like a rapist.

Definitely think appointments will be compulsory if the volume keeps up.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yup, the absolute a-holes who show up late and cut in line brings my blood to a boil. A few years ago it used to be absolute chaos at Vientiane when the time came to pick up your passport (in the building to the left, back then). People with ticket number 300+ would barge up to the front of the queue, elbowing people with numbers below 20 out of the way, completely unashamed. The place was so packed you couldn't really do much but try to squeeze oneself closer to the counter.

It became so much better when they actually started to enforce the queue numbers a few years later.

• Like 1

Will,  different strokes . . .

As for the first 50+ at the start of the queue, rather than standing in midday sun, which there is absolutely no protection from, it makes sense to drop bag as placeholder, and stand under the shade of trees ( for which those that are lined up along the roadside benefit from.)

After standing for hour+ and wanting to go across the road to buy cold drink or use toilet. l then, by leaving my bag there , have 'buggered off' thereby forfeiting my place in the queue.  This, is my reading of your comment.

As you stated : after 90min you were sweating like a Rapist. Some of us had the sense to stand in the shade. Im also not a fan of this type of queuing, but untill the authorities come up with a better system, what is the alternative, cheers.

1 hour ago, richiejom said:

Is this what its got like now?  I thought visa companies didn't go there?  when I went back in Feb only about 30 people maybe less

They do now. They leave Bangkok on Sunday and Wednesday evenings, so Monday and Thursday mornings are a lot busier than the rest of the week.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, transam said:

Dropping bags at the gate reminds me of going on hotel holiday in Spain to find creeps had dumped stuff on loungers in the best spots to actually use them later in the day....Complete a____oles...

In most countries an unattended bag would be deemed dodgy and remove it..Do it at Savv...

It was the same in Greece. Primarily Germans would wake up at 6 to put their towels on all the sun loungers, thinking they now owned them for the entire day. It was with great joy I threw those towels to the side and used the loungers myself. If you're not there, it's not your place.

• Like 2

There is a perfectly good solution having been caught in the queue this year I have sought a surrogate for next time a nice old Lothian lady who for a couple of hundred bht will save my place in the queue next time.

And please don't say that's wrong as it happens or did happen at chang mai and Bangkok to my certain knowledge

1 hour ago, onera1961 said:

Boggles my mind to see how farangs subject themselves to humiliation and inconveniences to live and visit a dump called Thailand. I wonder why. What is the lure? But I find the line consists of mostly non-farangs. 

"But I find" so you must submit yourself to the humiliation so you can live in the place you call a dump ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, onera1961 said:

Boggles my mind to see how farangs subject themselves to humiliation and inconveniences to live and visit a dump called Thailand. I wonder why. What is the lure? But I find the line consists of mostly non-farangs. 

Not much of a mind then, eh?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
4 hours ago, BuckBee said:
visa companies will ruin this consulate and thai border .

It sounds like they need to spread the visa runs over the week so Mon or Thurs aren't as bad

Think it's more cost effective to do it twice a week.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Make life easier for yourself and go on Tuesday.

would but flight and hotel are booked. I fly back wed morning ????

BTW I came third in the 1987 world queuing championships ......

Edited by geronimo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Caldera said:

Rule of thumb: Don't apply on a Monday or Thursday, when the visa run vans get into town, and in weeks with holidays.

It's only a matter of time until the visa runners start arriving on the quieter days too, i will go somewhere else in the region for a couple of days for my next one.