Savannakhet, a visa to die for ?

As I wanted a Non O multi-entry visa, I travelled down from Vientiane where I reside. I sauntered up to the consulate at 11.50 a.m. on the Thursday (6th June) thinking all would be quiet. However, as others have shown it was a nightmare with the queue. However, the Thais coped well allowing all into the compound before they closed the gate, and the group organized itself into a triple bend queue. As I was not in in hurry, I just sat down to read. I later joined the queue and noticed only one reception window was open. I was served at  1.20 p.m. (given number 279), so the people behind the desk were really efficient.

A few pointers: 1. I noticed there were several groups of Chinese;  2. A large number of applicants seemed to be applying for Non B visas as teachers - given that many of these would have started teaching at the beginning of May, it is likely this was the reason why so many were applying for the visas, so maybe  this represents a spike in the number of visa applicants; 3. Everyone was well behaved and kept to the queue., and I noticed people were popping in and out to obtain refreshments so recognition to the Thai staff for understanding the situation

Next day, I returned to the consulate to collect my visa. On the basis of the previous day's queue, I elected to go at 3.15 p.m. and when I arrived there was no one in sight and I collected my visa, in and out in a minute.

I agree that many more people will now head to Savannakhet, hence there is every likelihood that an appointment system will be introduced.

6 minutes ago, CelticTam said:

I noticed there were several groups of Chinese

It is unlikely they were from mainland China. My recollection is that Chinese must apply for visas back home in China. Were they perhaps from Singapore, Taiwan or Hong Kong?

1 hour ago, BigT73 said:

you're lucky mate!  Enjoy the next 24hrs, if your staying at Avalon you can stay in their aircon lobby and use their internet till checkin.  They let us checkin 2hrs early.

The Aura residence right next door to the Avalon would let you check in before noon, I checked in 8:00am, put my stuff i my room and walked 15 minutes to the consulate plus way nicer rooms for an extra 100 bht.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, time2093 said:

The Aura residence right next door to the Avalon would let you check in before noon, I checked in 8:00am, put my stuff i my room and walked 15 minutes to the consulate plus way nicer rooms for an extra 100 bht.

Ha...!

They let me check in 2 days before my booking, I did my visa, then I was back in Thailand an hour and a half before I left...!

I just cannot understand why everyone surprised that SAV. is full...

of course.. what were you thinking after whats happening with VIEN.

i was expecting more ppl tbh

in few weeks... SAV will get tired of this and going to do as the same as VIEN. 

Edited by problemfarang

Seems like the queues are up and down.

My experience of dropping off my passport (Tuesday) and picking up the next day was with a queues of about 20-30 people.

As mentioned in another post, the guy that helps with applications across the street confirmed that other days of the week are very busy.

I will just watch the reports ahead of what eventually happens at this consulate as to whether Ingo back again next year.

On 6/11/2019 at 3:13 PM, Will27 said:

Seems you really need to avoid Mondays and Thursdays due to the visa run companies.

I lodged my application the day before and it was quiet.

I did see the huge queue for lodging the next day when I arrived to pick mine up.

As for the queue jumpers, I agree.

I arrived to pick up my visa at 1220 and there were half a dozens bags

left at the front. I moved in front of the bags. IMO, that's the advantage

you get for queuing up an hour and a half early.

Dropping a bag off 2 hours early and then buggering off and expecting

to come back and go the head of the queue is a bit untidy I think.

Just as an aside, would it really hurt for the embassy to put a couple of fans up and maybe some bench seats! After queuing for over 90 minutes I was sweating like a rapist.

Definitely think appointments will be compulsory if the volume keeps up.

Agree. It's like the <deleted> putting their towels on the sun loungers at 7am and pitching up at 1pm.

But that's uneducated arrogance for you.

• Thanks 1

I was informed the other day this so called appointment system at Vientiane is a bit of a joke. He applied and was given an appointment got there in good time only to find so many others had the same appointment time. Correct or not?

Edited by fourpack

21 hours ago, BigT73 said:

you're lucky mate!  Enjoy the next 24hrs, if your staying at Avalon you can stay in their aircon lobby and use their internet till checkin.  They let us checkin 2hrs early.

The place next door to Avalon allows 12 o'clock check in. It is a bummer waiting several hours to get into a room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fourpack said:

I was informed the other day this so called appointment system at Vientiane is a bit of a joke. He applied and was given an appointment got there in good time only to find so many others had the same appointment time. Correct or not?

You make a appointment for a day not by the hour other than 9 to 12 am. You get a queue number (by email) when you do the application and they call them by groups for submitting your application.

Hey I was there Monday 10/06/19, read the horror stories about Mondays but had no option. Arrived the day before and got there at 6am, lucky the guy next to me was nice and time flied by. As you said, the buses soon turned up around 7am.

239748.jpg

Edited by SkyNets

1 hour ago, fourpack said:

I think they give about 50 people each appointment time. That should mean a wait of maximum about 30 minutes if you arrive at the consulate at the designated time.

7 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I think they give about 50 people each appointment time. That should mean a wait of maximum about 30 minutes if you arrive at the consulate at the designated time.

The designated time for the appointment is 9 to 12 on a particular day. Showing the appointment email allows you to enter the compound on the date the appointment is for. Then they call the queue numbers by groups of 50 or so.

If you are not there when you number is called it will not be a problem as long as you get there before noon.

If you register on the site and log in this is what you see (FYI that is first slot available as of now for a tourist visa application).

image.png.e890f5e702c6f5ab2da7a46b9fce7051.png

If you click on the button you have just made an appointment for that day (been there and done that by accident that I later canceled).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The designated time for the appointment is 9 to 12 on a particular day. Showing the appointment email allows you to enter the compound on the date the appointment is for. Then they call the queue numbers by groups of 50 or so.

If you are not there when you number is called it will not be a problem as long as you get there before noon.

If you register on the site and log in this is what you see (FYI that is first slot available as of now for a tourist visa application).

image.png.e890f5e702c6f5ab2da7a46b9fce7051.png

If you click on the button you have just made an appointment for that day (been there and done that by accident that I later canceled).

Thanks for the clarification. My recollection on the way it worked when first implemented was that the time given on the confirmation email depended on your queue number. I know there have been several iterations since.