BANGKOK 21 July 2019 11:17
kiwinz

Savannakhet, a visa to die for ?

3 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

I try my best not to be arrogant and tell others what to do. We need to take responsibility for ourselves and do the right thing. Thailand doesn't owe us anything and we are not covered by their health insurance. We need to follow their immigration laws and comply with the minimums.  I can't comment about people in uniform making up rules because I don't see it. 

This subject has reverted to arguing so leaving things be and "I'm outa here" 

Are you a Vicar.......?   🤣

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

Only silly people let other people "push in".

In the thirteen years I have lived in Thailand lots of people have tried to jump in at the head of any queue I was in, from at supermarket checkouts, to board the train at Swampy, to wait for the bank doors to open, at an ATM etc, etc. No one has yet succeeded, and they never will.

• Like 1

I visited today (Wednesday) at about 10am, super short queue and waited only about 15min to submit my documents.

In the shade the whole time.

IMG_20190612_094459.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

when I went to Sav, 90% were philipino and well under 40yrs old.  I dont think they were getting tourist visas, more like work visas, but I may be wrong.

1 hour ago, FredGallaher said:

It seems a lot of effort and hassle to circumvent doing the right thing. If it's a tourist extension it can be done at any immigration office. If it for a type O for retirement or marriage, either show money as foreign transfer monthly or money in the bank. A back door approach seems fruitless. If you don't have the money to stay in Thailand you should consider going somewhere else.

If someone doesn't want to wait in a queue, they can always get an appointment in Vientiane. If they can plan ahead and get an appointment. 

Not true, there are certain visas you can get at Savakkanet that you cannot get at Vientiane. One in particular.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wombo1 said:

I visited today (Wednesday) at about 10am, super short queue and waited only about 15min to submit my documents.

In the shade the whole time.

IMG_20190612_094459.jpg

you're lucky mate!  Enjoy the next 24hrs, if your staying at Avalon you can stay in their aircon lobby and use their internet till checkin.  They let us checkin 2hrs early.

1 hour ago, myjawe said:

What kind of visa these people want ?

If I was a grumpy old Thaivisa member I would say that nobody should be given any visa in any country around Thailand, and everybody should have to go back home to get one ! But luckily I am not so old and grumpy to think like this !

Don't give the Thai authorities or Thai  immigration any ideas.

As I wanted a Non O multi-entry visa, I travelled down from Vientiane where I reside. I sauntered up to the consulate at 11.50 a.m. on the Thursday (6th June) thinking all would be quiet. However, as others have shown it was a nightmare with the queue. However, the Thais coped well allowing all into the compound before they closed the gate, and the group organized itself into a triple bend queue. As I was not in in hurry, I just sat down to read. I later joined the queue and noticed only one reception window was open. I was served at  1.20 p.m. (given number 279), so the people behind the desk were really efficient.

A few pointers: 1. I noticed there were several groups of Chinese;  2. A large number of applicants seemed to be applying for Non B visas as teachers - given that many of these would have started teaching at the beginning of May, it is likely this was the reason why so many were applying for the visas, so maybe  this represents a spike in the number of visa applicants; 3. Everyone was well behaved and kept to the queue., and I noticed people were popping in and out to obtain refreshments so recognition to the Thai staff for understanding the situation

Next day, I returned to the consulate to collect my visa. On the basis of the previous day's queue, I elected to go at 3.15 p.m. and when I arrived there was no one in sight and I collected my visa, in and out in a minute.

I agree that many more people will now head to Savannakhet, hence there is every likelihood that an appointment system will be introduced.

6 minutes ago, CelticTam said:

I noticed there were several groups of Chinese

It is unlikely they were from mainland China. My recollection is that Chinese must apply for visas back home in China. Were they perhaps from Singapore, Taiwan or Hong Kong?

1 hour ago, BigT73 said:

you're lucky mate!  Enjoy the next 24hrs, if your staying at Avalon you can stay in their aircon lobby and use their internet till checkin.  They let us checkin 2hrs early.

The Aura residence right next door to the Avalon would let you check in before noon, I checked in 8:00am, put my stuff i my room and walked 15 minutes to the consulate plus way nicer rooms for an extra 100 bht.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

A friend of mine went today and he said almost empty. A 10 min affair and he was done.

You think that's good?

I went today and had my visa 25 minutes before I actually arrived at the embassy...

58 minutes ago, time2093 said:

The Aura residence right next door to the Avalon would let you check in before noon, I checked in 8:00am, put my stuff i my room and walked 15 minutes to the consulate plus way nicer rooms for an extra 100 bht.

Ha...!

They let me check in 2 days before my booking, I did my visa, then I was back in Thailand an hour and a half before I left...!

Posted (edited)

I just cannot understand why everyone surprised that SAV. is full...

of course.. what were you thinking after whats happening with VIEN.

i was expecting more ppl tbh

in few weeks... SAV will get tired of this and going to do as the same as VIEN. 

Edited by problemfarang

Seems like the queues are up and down.

My experience of dropping off my passport (Tuesday) and picking up the next day was with a queues of about 20-30 people.

As mentioned in another post, the guy that helps with applications across the street confirmed that other days of the week are very busy.

I will just watch the reports ahead of what eventually happens at this consulate as to whether Ingo back again next year.