Video: Farang thief at the checkout got 2,000 baht, Thai shopper tells Thaivisa

webfact

Video: Farang thief at the checkout got 2,000 baht, Thai shopper tells Thaivisa

Fa1.jpg

Video screenshot

A Thai woman working in Pattaya has told Thaivisa how she lost 2,000 baht at a checkout at the Friendship Supermarket in South Pattaya. 

A video showed that the money was picked up by an old farang who police are hunting.

But she stopped short of blaming every farang for her misfortune and revealed that she is in a long term relationship with a Westerner herself. 

Pratumrat Maymum or Jeab, 32, confirmed what Thai TV Channel 8 were reporting that she had lost 2,000 baht that fell while she was completing a purchase at the checkout.

The foreigner in the video thinks no one is watching as he puts his foot on the notes - then pockets the money. But it was on CCTV and is now all over the news in Thailand. 

Je.jpg

Jeab with her boyfriend of two years Robert Gulliver

Jeab told Thaivisa: "Everyone is different. It doesn't depend on where you're from". 

She agreed that the theft was "terrible" saying that the man in the video should be nice to people. 

Asked what punishment he should receive when caught she said it would depend on whether he accepted what he did. She was not sure about Thai law. 

She said that she had been in a relationship with a man called Robert Gulliver for two years. 

Asked if having a foreign boyfriend meant that she normally trusted farangs she said:

"No, I trust myself. People should respect no matter if they are a girl or a man, farang or Thai". 

Jeab is from Korat and has been living in Pattaya for three years where she is an office worker at a property firm. 

She hoped that the press coverage would result in the resolution of the case.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-11

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given the sweeping generalisations I daily see from many Thais about Farang (and vice versa), it's nice to see she's not tarring everyone with the same brush after something bad has happened to her. A few people on here could learn from her...

13 minutes ago, webfact said:

Pratumrat Maymum or Jeab, 32, confirmed what Thai TV Channel 8 were reporting that she had lost 2,000 baht

14 minutes ago, webfact said:

But she stopped short of blaming every farang for her misfortune and revealed that she is in a long term relationship with a Westerner herself

No worries then .. 

If I had seen a lady at the checkout drop some money it would of made my day to smile and say ' Excuse me ' and given the point of the week at her money on the floor be it 20 B or 20,000 B. This fat git needs to see this along with everyone he knows. If he had any friends I bet he lost them all!

9 minutes ago, JamJar said:

I see just 1 x 1000 baht. Where is the second note? 

He doesn't look as if he has ever been short of a meal. So what a low thing to do. He saw her drop it from the very beginning. 

The other 1,000 baht is the interest she now wants on the money now that the thief has been identified.

Thai style!

7 minutes ago, JamJar said:

I see others are saying that it was just twenty baht. So either she is lying too or the reporter has added something to the story for effect.

Having watched the clip (with 1 dropped banknote), Miss Jeab, must have lost one of those rare 2,000-baht banknotes... 

9 minutes ago, mike787 said:

To Thais, his actions impact all of us.  Sad things are this desperate for him...

His actions in no way impact on me!  I have done nothing wrong. I wouldn't blame every Thai resident in the U.K. if the situation was reversed, so why should they?

A selfish or a bad-hearted person is just that, regardless of their country of origin.

Any Thai or foreigner who views it that way is as stupid as the moron who took the money!

38 minutes ago, webfact said:

She said that she had been in a relationship with a man called Robert Gulliver 

40 minutes ago, webfact said:

Asked if having a foreign boyfriend meant that she normally trusted farangs she said:

" Lilliput it this way I can't see myself getting tied down with one " ..

12 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Having watched the clip (with 1 dropped banknote), Miss Jeab, must have lost one of those rare 2,000-baht banknotes... 

Could easily have been 2x crisp 1000 baht notes folded.... Fresh from the machine the notes sometimes stick together.

The publicity for him is going to be a shocker - everyone has seen him now (well, many have)

I'm assuming he'll charged with theft. 

The publicity for her is good and her attitude towards the whole situation is to be commended. 

36 minutes ago, JamJar said:

He saw her drop it from the very beginning. 

Absolutely, and he started to stare and stump nervously waiting for his chance. Creeping forward as he would like to push her out.

Scum.

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Could easily have been 2x crisp 1000 baht notes folded.... Fresh from the machine the notes sometimes stick together.

And some people can proof the opposite from such blurry video :closedeyes:

40 minutes ago, JamJar said:

I see others are saying that it was just twenty baht. So either she is lying too or the reporter has added something to the story for effect.

I honestly can't tell if it was 20 bt or 1,000 bt or 2,000 bt.  But if it was only 20 bt, that's even more lame.  The old dude was eyeing that note like a hyena stalking a wounded gazelle, just itching to pounce on it.  And being ever so careful that the woman didn't catch on.  For 20 freakin bt??

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Silly old bugger is in for it now when plod get hold of him, 2000 baht, hells teeth, his is gonna be in the doo-doo.

Unfortunately:

"Asked what punishment he should receive when caught she said it would depend on whether he accepted what he did."

I suspect she will settle for the money being returned and a reasonably convincing wai, which the police may go along with.

An excellent opportunity for a publicised display of her "compassion and forgiveness" and, of course, some first class "merit" to be earned for it.

While many on TVF, brought up on "Gods Vengeance", will be "a gnashing and a wailing" at insufficient "retribution".

Still, we live in hope.

the time for reckoning will be when they front themselves

- or will it be when she has to answer to his Suing her for putting his image onto social media, and ruining his reputation?

8 minutes ago, tifino said:

the time for reckoning will be when they front themselves

- or will it be when she has to answer to his Suing her for putting his image onto social media, and ruining his reputation?

What are you talking about?  It's all over the news.  Is he going the sue the news outlets? 

Gf dropped 3000 after I passed it to her for our shopping in Tesco, gone in 20 seconds as we scanned the floor back where we guessed it fell.

She said go to see the cameras, I just left it, as after minutes I'm sure the lucky person would be out the door heading straight for some Chang...

Archived