Video: Farang thief at the checkout got 2,000 baht, Thai shopper tells Thaivisa

webfact

11 minutes ago, moutamine said:

Technically, this is not stealing.  He did not reach in her pcokets or her purse. The note fell off of her and dropped on the floor.  At that point, it's like picking up a lost item.

Was he dishonest, sure. Was he stealing, nope!  Good luck trying to convict him Thai system.  

So if a girl puts her bag on the chair whilst having a coffee and someone sees it accidentally fall off the chair, it's ok for him to pick it and walk off with it?

You need your moral compass fixing. It's all twisted.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

A friend of mine was in big C, shopped and paid, went back in to get other stuff.

Security hauled him on the way out. 

They called the police. 

HE could not find the receipt. 

All the stuff in big C bags..

No CCTV cameras that captured him paying for the stuff? :whistling:

Rule of thumb.

If it illegal in your country very good chance it is illegal in Thailand.

If it is immoral or unethical then it may be illegal in Thailand.

If you see Thai's doing something does not mean it is legal in Thailand. 

20 hours ago, mike787 said:

To Thais, his actions impact all of us.  Sad things are this desperate for him...

Unfortunately, you are right. members of a minority (and we Farangs are a minority, guests in Thailand) should be on their best behaviour, as a misdeed by one impacts us all!

9 hours ago, JamJar said:

I did, frame by frame. Also blows away your assertion that it happened around the ten second mark.

5.jpg.c4da5e93876eb8ab5b6d5bd664a870d7.jpg

I've circled the moment when it dropped from between her arms....at fifteen seconds.

Are you an acquaintance of his....or the man himself?

I am sure the guy is a film star. He had a leading part in "Those Magnificent Men". He did everything by the book of instructions.

30 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Rule of thumb.

If it illegal in your country very good chance it is illegal in Thailand.

If it is immoral or unethical then it may be illegal in Thailand.

If you see Thai's doing something does not mean it is legal in Thailand. 

In England it is classed as theft.Stealing by find.

Let's try to put this in another perspective. here we have an old farang. Obviously- he failed to learn that thieving was wrong. I could expand and say that he is what we call in the US "white trash". It is how you are brought up. "if" your tree- your parents acted this way, then no surprise. I could offer comments based upon the video- like many have done so. All I need to see is the culprit at hand...to see his obvious "grifting' tactics (and hey old man...you'll be dead soon- you've learned nothing before you bite the dust). Sad that this older person has not learned decency by now. And so.......if this person depicted in the video chimes in- for whatever  reason, please know that I feel sorry for you. And sadly, many people just do not get it. they have no clue how their selfish actions affect others. In this case, you "stole" from another.

I assure you that I will NEVER in my latter years nor will I ever do so.....resort to the theft (yes- theft) that this over-the -hill farang (please let me know which country he is from). He is on his way out anyway...perhaps God will make sure that is hastened. There is no excuse for this affront to ANYONE...if I could be there physically and speak to this "marginal" person, then most likely I would advise to go home- wherever that may be. You are NOT welcome anywhere based upon the video. Anyone who knows of the ethnicity of this scum bag, please let me know. He will be forever highlighted, black-listed, and hopefully self-assessed. Either stay or get the <deleted> out of there. And if you stay and you ever "think" about doing a similar thing, then you will be cast away in one form or another. Not a big deal...people like you need to be called out AND driven away.

5 minutes ago, TMNH said:

Let's try to put this in another perspective. here we have an old farang. Obviously- he failed to learn that thieving was wrong. I could expand and say that he is what we call in the US "white trash". It is how you are brought up. "if" your tree- your parents acted this way, then no surprise. I could offer comments based upon the video- like many have done so. All I need to see is the culprit at hand...to see his obvious "grifting' tactics (and hey old man...you'll be dead soon- you've learned nothing before you bite the dust). Sad that this older person has not learned decency by now. And so.......if this person depicted in the video chimes in- for whatever  reason, please know that I feel sorry for you. And sadly, many people just do not get it. they have no clue how their selfish actions affect others. In this case, you "stole" from another.

I assure you that I will NEVER in my latter years nor will I ever do so.....resort to the theft (yes- theft) that this over-the -hill farang (please let me know which country he is from). He is on his way out anyway...perhaps God will make sure that is hastened. There is no excuse for this affront to ANYONE...if I could be there physically and speak to this "marginal" person, then most likely I would advise to go home- wherever that may be. You are NOT welcome anywhere based upon the video. Anyone who knows of the ethnicity of this scum bag, please let me know. He will be forever highlighted, black-listed, and hopefully self-assessed. Either stay or get the <deleted> out of there. And if you stay and you ever "think" about doing a similar thing, then you will be cast away in one form or another. Not a big deal...people like you need to be called out AND driven away.

Another Vicar.....????

So all folk who had a great upbringing all turned out angels, and folk who had a shit upbringing are all thieves......????

1 hour ago, moutamine said:

Technically, this is not stealing.  He did not reach in her pcokets or her purse. The note fell off of her and dropped on the floor.  At that point, it's like picking up a lost item.

Was he dishonest, sure. Was he stealing, nope!  Good luck trying to convict him Thai system.  

Not a very good perspective. Steal-take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.

It fits for me. The note remained her property,

2 hours ago, dallen52 said:

It's been mentioned in several other posts, 

Finders is NOT keepers in Thailand. 

(Well not for farangs anyway)

It's called stealing. 

And many Thai places delight in calling the police and prosecution. 

Think about this... A true story. 

A friend of mine was in big C, shopped and paid, went back in to get other stuff.

Security hauled him on the way out. 

They called the police. 

HE could not find the receipt. 

All the stuff in big C bags..

He was not of good health, frail, and he finished up in the monkey house, 2 nights.  Pending a court case.

Even that is corrupt and he said that people were smoking ice pipes, even having sex with inmates. 

75 people in the nights he was there. 

Many overstays doing one night for each 500 baht of overstay cost.

Big C pushed it. They always do I am told,

He offered to pay for the stuff again. 

Even though he already had. 

His Thai wife was not with him.

Court case, 10 times the value compensation. 

Plus he was fined 10,000 baht. 

A two months prison spell suspended for 2 years.

The police approached him to assist. 

They have their own way to deal with these issues. 

Work in teams,

Passport was not taken. 

Immigration were not informed. 

HE was told to cooperate...

His Thai wife was allowed to visit, even in the court.

They even gave her 1000 baht back for translation services. 

50,000 baht cash.  It cost him.

After the event the police even drove him home.

But two days and nights in chains and the Pattaya monkey house and court transportation in chains, were too much, 

He has left Thailand...

Sadly it's a corrupt system and a way of life for many.

If Thai find money,  lucky for them. Like win lottery.

If farangs find, it's not farangs money,  so stealing. 

Trouble...

last time I checked Big C has cameras all over the place that would of proved theft or not..

21 hours ago, HeyHeyHey said:

799,000 to go

.... no way it was 2,000 as it was a single bill flying, she is trying to make 100% profit

Do you have any proof it wasn't 2 notes folded up together? I always keep my nites folded up together there for easy if drop to drop more then one at a time. And depending on how they are folded together they easily would not seperate during a fall to the ground. And from a far like this cctv easy for it to not be able to be seen that it is 2 notes folded together. Ive myself given 40 baht or so when thinking i only gave 20 and the cashier gave me a 20 baht. Thats from folded notes together and didn't know i had 2 20s there as just took them from the table in apartment and stuck in pocket thinking it was only 1.

1 hour ago, JamJar said:

So if a girl puts her bag on the chair whilst having a coffee and someone sees it accidentally fall off the chair, it's ok for him to pick it and walk off with it?

You need your moral compass fixing. It's all twisted.

Come on use you head a little mate... However you are touching a good point, moral vs criminal.  Picking up money that is not yours is morally questionable but its not criminal.

2 minutes ago, moutamine said:

Come on use you head a little mate... However you are touching a good point, moral vs criminal.  Picking up money that is not yours is morally questionable but its not criminal.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=l5cAXeDvKuS0mgecsaCIDg&q=uk+law+stealing+by+finding&oq=UK+law%2C+stealing+by+f&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i22i30.2005.10307..12500...0.0..0.95.1760.21......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0j0i131.V5Xgi86LalU

4 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

last time I checked Big C has cameras all over the place that would of proved theft or not..

Also his prior shopping before he went in again is recorded in their computer - every single item. Hard to believe this story. 

43 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Not a very good perspective. Steal-take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it.

Tell me you've never found money on the street.  Did you leave it there in case his rightfully owner came back to pick it up?  Please!!

2 minutes ago, moutamine said:

Tell me you've never found money on the street.  Did you live there in case his rightfully owner came back to pick it up?  Please!!

What a crazy comment. Lady dropped money in a supermarket, in front of the farang,.

He blatantly covered the money and then picked it up and kept it, completely different from finding money on the street.

30 minutes ago, brian2f2f said:

Do you have any proof it wasn't 2 notes folded up together? I always keep my nites folded up together there for easy if drop to drop more then one at a time. And depending on how they are folded together they easily would not seperate during a fall to the ground. And from a far like this cctv easy for it to not be able to be seen that it is 2 notes folded together. Ive myself given 40 baht or so when thinking i only gave 20 and the cashier gave me a 20 baht. Thats from folded notes together and didn't know i had 2 20s there as just took them from the table in apartment and stuck in pocket thinking it was only 1.

Agreed. Highly unlikely she's lying IMO.

27 minutes ago, moutamine said:
46 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Tell me you've never found money on the street.  Did you leave it there in case his rightfully owner came back to pick it up?  Please!!

You're getting pretty ridiculous in your defense of this guy.  Your examples are terrible and nothing similar to what happened in the OP.  What is your point? 

3 hours ago, BigC said:

If she walked away and he found 2 k on the floor. The moment he asked whoes money it was anyone  could claim it was theira so you could  put in your pocket

Takkng money from  floor is not like taking a bag

But he saw when she lost it. It's the same if you take money from a floor, ar a bag, knowing that it belongs to somebody else you've just seen in front of you. And that is theft. 

3 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

That's not fair to call her that. Brand new banknotes can easily hang together, but it's not about 1,000 baht now,

it's about a foreigner who behaves nasty. 

Starting to wonder if any of these people calling her a lier have ever had more than a single 1000 baht note is their wallets before.

2 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

You're getting pretty ridiculous in your defense of this guy.  Your examples are terrible and nothing similar to what happened in the OP.  What is your point? 

Fink he loiters at ATM's...????

33 minutes ago, moutamine said:

What's wrong with you? The old guy didn't find money on a street, he saw the owner who'd lost it, covered the banknote(s) with his shoe and picked it up. 

Don't you get that? 

Archived