Thailand, US ready to expand military cooperation

webfact

Thailand, US ready to expand military cooperation

282c189116d4f2788e87a2e74f1792e1.jpg

BANGKOK, 11 June 2019 (NNT) - The Commander of the United States Special Operations Command (SOCOM), Gen. Richard D. Clarke, said the US looks forward to expand military cooperation with the country to fight terrorism and support the International Military Education and Training (IMET) programme.

The Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister, Gen. Prawit Wongsuwan, welcomed Gen. Richard and his entourage, marking the first visit of a SOCOM general to Thailand in 20 years. The purpose of this visit is to expand military cooperation between the two countries while promoting the IMET programme.

The Thai and US military cooperation has established for more than 60 years. The US is ready to share its extensive experience and knowledge in anti-terrorism with Thailand.

Gen. Prawit expressed his gratitude and said the Thai military is ready to expand its cooperation with the US, with hopes that the cooperation, including the IMET programme, will continue to grow.

The Deputy Prime Minister said he would like to thank the US for supporting Thailand as the ASEAN Chair and hopes that both countries will work closer with one another, especially in the maritime security of the ASEAN.

nnt_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright nnt 2019-06-11

The reason the US has so much anti terrorism experience is they breed hatred toward themselves by way of unnecessary war profiteering and regime change. 

Thailand does not do this. They do not need help. US should take a lesson from Thailand in prevention. Oh, but we forgot, prevention of terrorism would not be as profitable. 

40 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Thailand has a civil conflict in the four Southern provinces that has been raging for 11/12 years now claiming over 7,000 lives.

Plenty of terrorist incidents there but the Thai government won't acknowledge it as a civil war or terrorist incidents. 

Nor will they acknowledge their own failures, human rights abuses etc.

I have been South of Thailand, its not a Civil war, Its a group of people who do not want to be Thai or Malaysian. Both Governments  aggravate the problem by supporting them by proxy. I dont agree in killing anyone, Both Governments are to blame, The UN got involved quite a while ago, they should intervene again.,

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Thailand has a civil conflict in the four Southern provinces that has been raging for 11/12 years now claiming over 7,000 lives.

Plenty of terrorist incidents there but the Thai government won't acknowledge it as a civil war or terrorist incidents. 

I actually personally remember this conflict over 26 - 27 years ago as they were shooting at trains. And as I understand it has been going on longer than that, but back then and now the abusers paths have changed.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The Commander of the United States Special Operations Command (SOCOM), Gen. Richard D. Clarke, said the US looks forward to expand military cooperation with the country to fight terrorism and support the International Military Education and Training (IMET) programme.

General Clarke should have some stern words with whoever scheduled this meeting as he met with someone who has literally days to go in this role and whilst we are not sure who will replace Prawit as DPM and/or defence minister there will be a new body in the role shortly.

6 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Note 1 to self: ask Chinese what Thailand should do with this US offer to help...????

Note 2:  Do as Chinese say...

Note 3: Take as much money as possible from both of them.

You cannot make this stuff up. As I have said before,  wait until Thailand gets on Trump's radar. The day's of Thailand playing Russia, China and the USA are about to come crashing down.  

Do they really think in a Trump led USA they get to have it like old times? 

Do they really think the EU is going to play along and give them a FTA with their history?

Do they not read the international news and see where Trump has thrown the hammer down just last week with Turkey?

Good grief!  There is a reason why, not just the USA,  but many other countries are standing up to the Chinese BRI. Military,  cultural and economic global expansion and control is what all superpowers want.

There is a contest going on right now, and if we are lucky, it won't get into a shooting match.  If not lucky, well, better pick your allies well.  

The three superpowers are at it again, except now, they are all startling to play hardball such not since the days of the Cold War and the Cuban Missile Crisis.  

Don't be on the wrong side is all I can say.

4 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

My point being, you ask for and get US help, things will get worse. 

That is all they can do, show their might, piss more people off, create more problems, and then "solve" them with more military might. 

Who do terrorists like to target? Best is to get advice from a country like Norway who dies not have a problem. Learning from the US about terrorism would be like asking Michael Phelps to teach you how to golf. 

3 hours ago, dcnx said:

That’s gonna go over well with China, Thailand’s new schmooze budddy.

'Huawei, agencies ready to turn Thailand’s 5G Testbed into reality.'

From another thread. 

Can't see USA being too keen on military co-operation without a lot of guarantees.

And China maybe thinking why do we help you and you make friends with USA?

....same old story

4 hours ago, dcnx said:

That’s gonna go over well with China, Thailand’s new schmooze budddy.

and to prevent China's monopoly in Thailand the US came to offer service...now let's wait for China comments but I expect them to be similar to the ones they said after Trump commented on HK extradition marche

This is, in my opinion,  is a pretty good article.   But, on a more personal note.   Last year as I finished my work with the NGO I volunteer for in Vietnam,  I had the opportunity to have dinner with an American State Department individual and a fairly high ranking Vietnamese government employee.  The conversation was interesting,  because at the time, China was pressing for 99 year leases on Vietnam coastal resorts.  You don't  need to be a rocket scientist to understand why. It was clearly not something most Vietnam wanted discussed at dinner, but some government officials were pressing for it.

Here is a big difference between Vietnam and Thailand.   Social media was not suppressed regarding this issue,  and the average Vietnamese citizen was very vocal about their government's decision. 

And! There were public demonstrations against the 99 year lease proposal.  The proposed change in lease terms and potential control of Vietnamese coastal areas was defeated.   

Plus, Vietnamese citizens enjoy a level of free speech not allowed in China or Thailand.  In that Vietnam already has plenty of experience dealing with China,  and it's expansionist policies, it is easy to see why Vietnam is not jumping up and down extolling the virtues of the BRI.

Thailand would be well served to pay attention to it fellow AEC country,  Vietnam and how they operate in this ever increasing competitive and complex region of the world.   Time will tell.

https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/05/article/how-china-sees-vietnams-tilt-toward-america/

13 hours ago, CaptainJack said:

You cannot make this stuff up. As I have said before,  wait until Thailand gets on Trump's radar. The day's of Thailand playing Russia, China and the USA are about to come crashing down.  

Do they really think in a Trump led USA they get to have it like old times? 

Do they really think the EU is going to play along and give them a FTA with their history?

Do they not read the international news and see where Trump has thrown the hammer down just last week with Turkey?

Good grief!  There is a reason why, not just the USA,  but many other countries are standing up to the Chinese BRI. Military,  cultural and economic global expansion and control is what all superpowers want.

There is a contest going on right now, and if we are lucky, it won't get into a shooting match.  If not lucky, well, better pick your allies well.  

The three superpowers are at it again, except now, they are all startling to play hardball such not since the days of the Cold War and the Cuban Missile Crisis.  

Don't be on the wrong side is all I can say.

Interesting

7 hours ago, CaptainJack said:

Thailand would be well served to pay attention to it fellow AEC country,  Vietnam and how they operate in this ever increasing competitive and complex region of the world.   

Seems clear to me that Thailand has already decided to ally itself with Communist China. It is becoming part of the Chinese Communist bloc and will soon be an official enemy of the US. The US military should be making no agreements with Thailand, because any information the Thais get from the US will go straight to Beijing. 

16 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

They do not need help. US should take a lesson from Thailand in prevention. Oh, but we forgot, prevention of terrorism would not be as profitable. 

Geez... really? What do you think is going on in the south with the muslims. Get real dude!

Only reason we know America is in the shites is because it is broadcast on mainstream media, whereas Thailand is quite efficient at blocking out hurtful news.

only today on TV

I think you should do your homework before you state bleeding heart propos in favor of the Thais.

14 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

Have a look at that picture, the American General, sitting upright, lean and looking fit.

On the right of the frame a hunched blob in a suit 

Wait...OK...I had to take a second look at the photo. For a moment I thought you meant Trump showed up for this meeting. 

Thailand reputedly avoided being colonised in the past by playing powers off against each other and cooperating. This requires great skill. I'm am not convinced that today's leaders in Thailand have the necessary skills to pull the same trick off in today's big power games. The photo showing Prawit, fills me with despair when I think he is the de facto number 2 guy in Thailand.

24 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

This requires great skill. I'm am not convinced that today's leaders in Thailand have the necessary skills to pull the same trick ........

Probably not plus today's leader in Thailand is more interested in self enrichment than country enrichment. China is probably more in tune with kickbacks than USA.

19 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai and US military cooperation has established for more than 60 years. The US is ready to share its extensive experience and knowledge in anti-terrorism with Thailand.

Guys, US already more than 10 years helps to have a deal with terrorism in Afganistan. But there is one problem - result is opposite. Similar story in the Sirya, Iraq, Libya and other countries. Perhaps, cooperation with Russia in such area will be wore productive.

4 hours ago, zydeco said:

The US military should be making no agreements with Thailand, because any information the Thais get from the US will go straight to Beijing. 

As Greeneking said in Post #14:

'Huawei, agencies ready to turn Thailand’s 5G Testbed into reality.'

From another thread. 

Can the U.S. military trust any confidential data and communication exchanges with Thailand leadership?

20 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

General Clarke should have some stern words with whoever scheduled this meeting as he met with someone who has literally days to go in this role and whilst we are not sure who will replace Prawit as DPM and/or defence minister there will be a new body in the role shortly.

News reporting that  the PM will also assume the Defence Portolio and Prawit will retain his Vice PM position.

Archived