Crossing the Thai/Camb border, with VN scooter.

Rainville

Hi all!

I'm planning a roadtrip where I would buy a scooter (Yamaha Nuovo) in Saigon and ride through Cambodia all the way to Koh Chang in Thailand.

Now, I did my fair share of research and it looks like crossing the Vietnam/Cambodia border will be a breeze, so that's good news. 

Bad news is, crossing the Cambodia/Thai border in Cham Yeam (South, near Trat) will be a whole new ballgame ???? and pretty much impossible. 

Is this correct? Looks like they won't let me in with the bike if I don't produce a temporary import permit which states that I need to return the bike at one point, which I'm not planning on doing. 

My plan is to gift the bike to a local in Thailand before leaving by plane from BKK.

Now, I've also seen some blog where some lucky travelers were able to cross without issue (2 Honda win), as seen here: https://twomonkeystravelgroup.com/motorbike-trip-across-cambodia-to-thailand/#comment-313982 

What are my chances?

Worst case scenario, I will leave/sell the bike a the border and take a mini bus to Trat/Koh Chang. 

Cheers and thanks for the help!

I cross there often on a Vietnam bike. They know I am going back to Koh Kong tho.

Things seem to be fairly flexible on whats done compared to other border crossings.

Crossing Vietnam to Cambodia is easy but some places are better than others. At Moc Bai/ Bavet you can't see the bike from in the office.

Ha Tien is excellent. 

2 hours ago, my friend I said:

I cross there often on a Vietnam bike. They know I am going back to Koh Kong tho.

Things seem to be fairly flexible on whats done compared to other border crossings.

Crossing Vietnam to Cambodia is easy but some places are better than others. At Moc Bai/ Bavet you can't see the bike from in the office.

Ha Tien is excellent. 

Thanks for the tips! 

I'm indeed looking to cross a the Ha Tien crossing which seems to be quite easy. 

Is this correct? Looks like they won't let me in with the bike if I don't produce a temporary import permit which states that I need to return the bike at one point, which I'm not planning on doing. 

My plan is to gift the bike to a local in Thailand before leaving by plane from BKK.

1st, bike needs be n ur name on all documents to enter Thailand

you get the temp import at thai customs, very easy at Koh Kong/Hat Lek.

Legally... bike only gets 30 days and ur name is on the computer that you entered with a bike.

will this affect ur future pans for Thailand? Dont know but... with everything nowadays in computers......

Archived