Changing from retirement extension to non immigrant o marriage.

I have over the past 6 or 7 years had multi entry non immigrant O visas based on marriage, most of which have been obtained from Laos. Last year decided to switch to a retirement extension, using an agent as I did not have adequate funds to do the extension myself. That extension ends in around one month and now am considering going back to Savannakhet to obtain a fresh non imm O, based on marriage instead of continuing on down the agent path with a retirement extension. I should note that the extension was done at an upcountry immigration office even though I am residing in Bangkok and, my 90 day report is due today (11th of June) but I have not asked the agent to do the extension for me (I tried to do it myself online but it was rejected as the address where the extension was granted does not match my Bangkok address.)

I have received some very helpful advice from people both on and off this site about the pros and cons of both. With the agent retirement extension, (for which the agent used previously has quoted 14k), the main drawbacks are that the extension is granted from an upcountry area so the address does not match one's real address if in Bangkok so 90 day reports are done by that agent, at a cost of around 600 baht every 3 months and one can not work on such a visa extension obviously. The pros are that no visa runs are required and therefore little additional expense during the year to cover such plus one's passport is not filled up with visa and entry/exit stamps every 3 months.

The non imm o multi based on marriage allows one to apply for a work permit and just seems to be a more "legal" way to do things. Sure, visa runs are required every 3 months but sometimes a short holiday outside the country is not a bad thing to do however the agent extension can be done quite conveniently and quickly without the running around. I am also not guaranteed of being granted the marriage visa at savannakhet when and if I go to the consulate however I do have all the required documentation so I think there should not be a problem but, as I said, it is not guaranteed. (potential problems on leaving Thailand given I have used an agent and current 90 day report "problem" because of address issues. I understand from previous advice that this should not be a problem when leaving Thailand at the land border and also at the consulate at Savannakhet.

If you were me, given the above,  would you continue on with the agent option or switch back to the non immigrant o visa application at Savannakhet?

Get the multiple entry non-o visa. I do not recall any recent reports of a application not being accepted or denied as long as you have all the supporting documents.

Then you could save the money paid for agent and add some more to reach 400k baht in the bank to apply for an extension based upon marriage.

• Like 2

Under no circumstances use an agent that's not going to get you an extension from the office in the Province where you live. That will just lead to further complications down the road.

There must be other agents in the area that use CW, maybe more expensive, but cheaper than the cost of obtaining a Non O and all those border run trips.

Is your financial position such that you can't transfer 40k per month, or save 400K.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Get the multiple entry non-o visa. I do not recall any recent reports of a application not being accepted or denied as long as you have all the supporting documents.

Then you could same the money paid for agent and add some more to reach 400k baht in the bank to apply for an extension based upon marriage.

Mine was denied today in Australia.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Then you could save the money paid for agent and add some more to reach 400k baht in the bank to apply for an extension based upon marriage.

Will do. So on entering thailand could there be issues at the border with the address on my tm6 (i think it is) form, being my actual address in bkk supposedly being different from the upcountry address used by the agent on the expired retirement extension previously?

6 hours ago, johnny1966 said:

Will do. So on entering thailand could there be issues at the border with the address on my tm6 (i think it is) form, being my actual address in bkk supposedly being different from the upcountry address used by the agent on the expired retirement extension previously?

Absolutely no problem entering the country due to previous address issues.

19 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Under no circumstances use an agent that's not going to get you an extension from the office in the Province where you live. That will just lead to further complications down the road.

I have seen a report that a Bangkok agent will quit frequently visit an immigration office in northern Issan and has been seen with quite a few passports talking to the contact in that office. 

So I'm not surprised by the OPs report. 

It has happened that one or more people have had a problem with an extension obtained via an agent. So @Tanoshi is giving good advice. Even better is not to use an agent at all.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I have seen a report that a Bangkok agent will quit frequently visit an immigration office in northern Issan and has been seen with quite a few passports talking to the contact in that office. 

So I'm not surprised by the OPs report. 

It has happened that one or more people have had a problem with an extension obtained via an agent. So @Tanoshi is giving good advice. Even better is not to use an agent at all.

"Even better is not to use an agent at all."

I personally don't use one, but if I had plenty of money I would. In my opinion it's what the IOs want you to do and is therefore a bombproof method. Can you see an IO, from the bottom to the top man killing off the golden goose. That's why we have all these complicated rules encouraging you to use them.