Nimmanhaemin Rd. chosen as pilot to transform Chiang Mai into a smart city

webfact

Nimmanhaemin Rd. chosen as pilot to transform Chiang Mai into a smart city

Nimman-Chiang-Mai.jpg

Nimmanhaemin Road in Chiang Mai has been chosen as the location for the pilot project in the transformation of this northern province, famous for its rich culture, into a smart city.

The project is estimated to cost about 350 million baht. All the overhead electrical and communication cables will be moved underground and, at the same time, a new water pipeline will be laid, along with improvements to footpaths and the installation of a CCTV system.

The project is expected to be launched on October 1st and to be completed within 12 months. Chiang Mai is one of the seven cities, in provinces including Phuket, Khon Kaen and Chon Buri, to be developed into smart cities in the first stage of development. In the second stage, 30 more cities in 24 provinces are to be developed.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/nimmanhaemin-rd-chosen-as-pilot-to-transform-chiang-mai-into-a-smart-city/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-06-12

The definition of a "smart city" is underground wires, a new water pipe, fixing footpaths and CCTV?

I would call that the very basic that Governments should be doing for it's people, especially for a city that is supposedly so "rich in culture".

Fail. Please try harder.

Nimmanhaemin road is about 1.3km long. 350 million baht for the project means about 270k THB per meter for putting the cables underground, new water pipes and new footpaths. Do they fly in German engineers and craftsmen to do the work?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The project is estimated to cost about 350 million baht. All the overhead electrical and communication cables will be moved underground and, at the same time, a new water pipeline will be laid, along with improvements to footpaths and the installation of a CCTV system.

You mean, instead of cars, motorcycles, utility poles and trees - the sidewalks will actually be available for pedestrians instead of them having to walk on the road.  Yeah - that would be smart.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

So at least a year of traffic nightmares and construction, dirt and dust.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

to be completed within 12 months

For such an ambitious project, 12 months sounds a bit unrealistic. Try 24 to 36.

30 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Nimmanhaemin road is about 1.3km long. 350 million baht for the project means about 270k THB per meter for putting the cables underground, new water pipes and new footpaths. Do they fly in German engineers and craftsmen to do the work?

Don't know, but a fair amount of this money goes into the pocket of the person/s in charge of the deal.

All the overhead electrical and communication cables will be moved underground and, at the same time, a new water pipeline will be laid, along with improvements to footpaths

I think this is actually called infrastructure. What is "smart" about it?

As for the CCTV I think they already have that.

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

So at least a year of traffic nightmares and construction, dirt and dust.

Possibly true, but IMHO step 1 would be for the authorities to give a specific definition of 'Smart City' then some specifics of what will be installed in/around Nimmanhaemin and why, clear objectives and the real desirable value to the community of these objectives. Ain't holding my breath. 

If it just means putting cables underground, that's already happening in a number of area in LOS, with mixed results, and it was started and stopped along part of the side road near the river just down from Dukes restaurant, just before you turn left to go to the Gymkhana Club, then it all went quiet, perhaps 18 months ago.

So why the big new sudden claims for Chiang Mai / Nimmanhaemin Smart City?

45 minutes ago, cmsally said:

I think this is actually called infrastructure. What is "smart" about it?

As for the CCTV I think they already have that.

Yes they do have CCTV but a couple of years ago some bar steward crashed into my parked car and did a runner, I went to the police station opposite the zoo and asked them to look at the tape, apparently the camera that was pointing in the direction of my car was not working! I suspect that they couldn't be arsed as I had told them that it was fully insured and they replied, so what's the problem.

The key element of the smart city project is the sharing of business information among the private sector, which remains to be realized because of their reluctance to share confidential information

Sounds like their the smartest kids on the smart city block.

11 hours ago, teacherofwoe said:

If there are planning on a 5G smart grid, neither I or my family will be going anywhere near Nimmanhaemin Road.

You can bet your life they are. Along with a smart environment, smart economy, smart energy, smart mobility and smart governance etc.

Smart people will instantly recognise the language as from the Smart Growth element of the UN Agenda21/Agenda2030 programme. This little-publicised plan seeks to control and manage all the world's assets - not least its people.

Thailand is the ASEAN coordinator for the programme's so-called Sustainable Development Goals, of which the smart cities initiative is a part. Its implications go far beyond just burying a few power cables, laying new water pipes and fixing broken paving stones.

This link includes a revealing video from the US, at the sharp end of the Agenda21/2030 global roll-out: http://iagenda21.com/

46 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

You can bet your life they are. Along with a smart environment, smart economy, smart energy, smart mobility and smart governance etc.

Smart people will instantly recognise the language as from the Smart Growth element of the UN Agenda21/Agenda2030 programme. This little-publicised plan seeks to control and manage all the world's assets - not least its people.

Thailand is the ASEAN coordinator for the programme's so-called Sustainable Development Goals, of which the smart cities initiative is a part. Its implications go far beyond just burying a few power cables, laying new water pipes and fixing broken paving stones.

This link includes a revealing video from the US, at the sharp end of the Agenda21/2030 global roll-out: http://iagenda21.com/

Way ahead of you bro, but thanks for posting the link.

Toronto's Smart City plan is facing increasing opposition due to concerns over privacy and data harvesting.

“It is a dystopian vision that has no place in a democratic society.”

See Guardian article: 'Surveillance capitalism': critic urges Toronto to abandon smart city project.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/jun/06/toronto-smart-city-google-project-privacy-concerns

18 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

If you're interested, there is a global petition to stop 5g. The Prime Minister of Poland Mateusz Morawiecki has just signed and endorsed it. Please take the time to read it (do your own research if need be) and share with everyone you know.

Here's the link; it's been translated to over 25 languages but not Thai yet.

https://www.5gspaceappeal.org/the-appeal

Archived