In Iowa, Biden slams Trump on trade, China

webfact

In Iowa, Biden slams Trump on trade, China

By James Oliphant

2019-06-11T224044Z_1_LYNXNPEF5A1VM_RTROPTP_4_USA-ELECTION-BIDEN-TRUMP.JPG

Democratic 2020 U.S. presidential candidate and former Vice President Joe Biden speaks at an event at Iowa Wesleyan University in Mount Pleasant, Iowa, U.S. June 11, 2019. REUTERS/Jordan Gale

OTTUMWA, Iowa (Reuters) - Speaking in Iowa hours ahead of Donald Trump, Democratic presidential hopeful Joe Biden ripped the Republican president's trade policies, saying that farmers were being caught in the crossfire between the United States and China.

Biden, who served for eight years as vice president under former President Barack Obama, and Trump were visiting the early voting farm state on the same day for the first time in the 2020 campaign cycle.

Their separate appearances on Tuesday will offer voters an early glimpse at a potential general election matchup between the Democratic front-runner and Trump, who is seeking a second four-year term.

Both men kicked off their visits trading insults.

“President Trump is in Iowa today, and I hope his presence here will be a clarifying event," Biden told a crowd at a campaign stop in Ottumwa.

The state's farmers are being hammered by the administration's tariff war with China, he said. He called U.S. workers "pawns" in Trump's "game."

"It’s really easy to be tough when someone else absorbs the pain," said Biden, who called Trump "an existential threat" to the country.

Before leaving the White House for Iowa, Trump lashed out at Biden as he has done in the past, calling him a "loser" and a "dummy."

"His whole campaign is to hit Trump," the president said. "When he mentions my name that many times, I guess I should be complimented."

Trump is due to visit an ethanol plant in Council Bluffs on Tuesday before delivering remarks at an Iowa Republican Party dinner in Des Moines. Biden is making a four-city swing over two days.

TRADE WAR

Biden and Trump will be competing for the same white, working-class voters in Iowa and elsewhere who helped Trump win the 2016 election. Iowa holds the first Democratic nominating contest next February. Trump won the state in 2016, but Democrat Obama carried it in both 2008 and 2012.

The agriculture industry has been hit particularly hard by Trump's 10-month tariff war with China, and Beijing recently warned that U.S. farmers could lose access to the Chinese market entirely.

The Trump administration last month unveiled a $16 billion farm aid package to help offset the industry's losses.

Trump's tariffs on steel and other metals have also hit U.S. automakers, which are also concerned that future tariffs could be imposed on everything from critical technologies and components to fully assembled vehicles.

Biden hit Trump hard on China, saying the president's policies were exacerbating the economic threat posed by the country.

"We can out-compete China every single solitary day," Biden said.

Trump promised this week to go ahead with a new round of tariffs on Chinese goods if no progress is made with Chinese President Xi Jingping at the G20 summit later this month in Japan. Trump has said he expects to meet with Xi, but the Chinese have declined to confirm any summit.

Biden called for more investment in scientific research, infrastructure and a modern workforce to help counter China, and to build a united front with allies to challenge China's "abusive practices."

(Reporting by James Oliphant in Iowa and Doina Chiacu in Washington; Editing by Colleen Jenkins and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-12

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Donald is an easy target and I personally don’t like burning ethanol In any of my engines it’s hard on them.so many ways to get at Donald tax scam health care trade war women’s health and that’s just the domestic stuff just a tiny fraction of the epic failures of Donald go get him joe hammer down!!

19 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Biden is the only candidate, Republican or Democrat, who wants to surrender to China. This is yesterday's man. Get him out of the running early.

It's completely plausible that with a softer touch of negotiations that we can convince China to give more entitlements and adopt the new green deal.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

"His whole campaign is to hit Trump," the president said. "When he mentions my name that many times, I guess I should be complimented."

As odious as the T word is, it’s way easier to say than “individual number one” every time someone needs to mention “individual number one”,  but perhaps that’s exactly what they should say, given he’s “individual number one”

Biden is leading in the polls , crushing Mr. Trump! Biden has  16 months to turn the incumbent in office has never lost a second term election when the economy is  choo chooin along, jinx!

9 minutes ago, riclag said:

Biden is leading in the polls , crushing Mr. Trump! Biden has  16 months to turn the incumbent in office has never lost a second term election when the economy is  choo chooin along, jinx!

And no president with the economy turning in these kind of numbers has ever performed so poorly in the pools. It's pretty pathetic when a president boasts about a 50% approval rating.

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

And no president with the economy turning in these kind of numbers has ever performed so poorly in the pools. It's pretty pathetic when a president boasts about a 50% approval rating.

Russia Russia, 24 /7 for 21/2 years has come to a end ! The swing voter's want to see numbers, the dems , they are still in denial as I mentioned before! 

I am from Iowa, I own soybean farmland in northern Iowa, and yes, the tariffs are going to hurt us in the short term. But the fact is, we have to stand up to China's grotesquely unfair trade practices. If not America, who? Spain? Italy? Great Britain? France? Sweden? We'd love to have some help from our "allies." Is Biden going to do that? Did Obama or Bush Jr? Biden is just another professional politico who's going to say whatever gets him elected. He's not quite as suicidal as Hilary Clinton, who waisted no effort expressing her contempt for rural Americans, calling them "deplorables." Biden is at least smart enough to pay fake mouth-honor to working-class and rural Americans. 

When was the last time any one of you, from the UK, Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Greece, and Scandinavia, ever stood up to China? Maybe America or Trump would not need to be so adversarial with China if the rest of you would actually do something other than sit on the neutral sidelines reaping the benefits whilst judging American in the process? 

28 minutes ago, OtinPattaya said:

I am from Iowa, I own soybean farmland in northern Iowa, and yes, the tariffs are going to hurt us in the short term. But the fact is, we have to stand up to China's grotesquely unfair trade practices. If not America, who? Spain? Italy? Great Britain? France? Sweden? We'd love to have some help from our "allies." Is Biden going to do that? Did Obama or Bush Jr? Biden is just another professional politico who's going to say whatever gets him elected. He's not quite as suicidal as Hilary Clinton, who waisted no effort expressing her contempt for rural Americans, calling them "deplorables." Biden is at least smart enough to pay fake mouth-honor to working-class and rural Americans. 

Because of Trump The allies of the US are now North Korea, Russia, Philippines. Im sure they will help.

52 minutes ago, OtinPattaya said:

When was the last time any one of you, from the UK, Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Greece, and Scandinavia, ever stood up to China? Maybe America or Trump would not need to be so adversarial with China if the rest of you would actually do something other than sit on the neutral sidelines reaping the benefits whilst judging American in the process? 

Hammer on the nail

6 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

It's not that Trump lies more than other politicians.  It's that he lies more than any human being I've ever seen. 

Emotional hyperbole, nothing more. You might as well say that Trump has lied more than any other human being in recorded or un-recorded history. Your wife or your girlfriend, trust me, has lied to you more. It's just that it would wound your vanity to think so. 

4 hours ago, riclag said:

I have no love lost for trump, but the poles indicate national popularity and do not give a breakdown by state, remember trump lost the popular vote last time and still won the presidency. 

It is fine to slam trump , god knows he needs slamming, But being anti trump was not enough for Hillary and might not be enough for  Biden.

Attacking trump on style is fine , but let's also hear some substance. Let's hear policy.

Being nice and moral is nice but we had nice for years and look where it got as, how is Biden going to be "Nice" and also get as better? That's what we need to hear,

36 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

It's not that Trump lies more than other politicians.  It's that he lies more than any human being I've ever seen. 

If you can tell when they're lying, they are not real politicians.

Biden is a strawman for the Clinton's. He will be the front runner but lack just enough votes at the convention so that Hillary can be the collective compromise savior candidate for president in 2020.

10 minutes ago, Kasane said:

Any other dem than plagiarist Biden.

Between now and the 2020 election the Democrat Party will select a candidate, the process of which will include handing off voter support in exchange for the candidate going forward taking on board the policy of the candidate(s) stepping down. 

The final candidate will have both policies of their own and policies they have taken on from other candidates. 

Away with you and your faux outrage over 'plagiarism'. 

3 hours ago, OtinPattaya said:

Emotional hyperbole, nothing more. You might as well say that Trump has lied more than any other human being in recorded or un-recorded history. Your wife or your girlfriend, trust me, has lied to you more. It's just that it would wound your vanity to think so. 

We are tired of being trolled by this (insert favorite name here)the dude is a laughing stock he is creating enemies among once allies he is sowing division amongst us he is a pariah among humans and all most of his supporters can do is say look at the economy there is more to America than just the economy much more.his mishandling of taxes health care foreign policy or lack there of will sink him not to mention of his stonewalling obstruction loose lips ect ect when it’s over he will be lucky to stay out of prison 

5 hours ago, OtinPattaya said:

If you had been more knowledgeable about the matters you are commenting on, you would have noticed that they are dealt with at the EU level only. 

You complain that that allies did not support Trump but you forget that Trump never asked for any support and instead started a trade war with the EU.

So we have the USA and the EU negotiating separately with China. Stupid, isn't? And whose fault is it if not for the Moron's?

Biden at a fundraiser tonight, on his desire to work with the Republican Party post Trump. Delusional.

“With Trump gone you’re going to begin to see things change. Because these folks know better. They know this isn’t what they’re supposed to be doing."

Archived