Starting to get scared of coming to Chaing Mai

Jwraith

My flight to Chiang Mai is in a few hours and it will be my first time in Thailand. I've lived in the US all my life and have traveled back and forth to Australia a few times. This will be the first country that I visit that doesn't speak English as their first language.

There seems to be many posts regarding scams and unfriendliness towards "farangs". I don't know anyone in Thailand, I'll be traveling alone (male), and I do not speak Thai. I originally wanted to come to Thailand because my initial impression was that the people were so friendly and it would be a peaceful place. Am I going to arrive and realize that there will be constant attempts to take advantage of me, rip me off, overcharge me, lie to me, etc? Maybe I'm just getting anxious because the flight is so soon and I'm getting cold feet. The whole purpose of coming to Thailand for me was to find beauty in humanity again. Land of Smiles. I worked in finance (equities) for ten years. I don't wanna see that side of human anymore. I want to see and be around kindness and compassion. It's almost a spiritual thing for me. Someone please tell me that opportunistic behavior here is no worse than anywhere else and that in general, the Thai people and culture are good to farangs. I'll be overwhelmed with sadness, not anger, if I arrive and the first taxi I get into turns around with a smile and says "that'll be 800 baht to Nimman".

2 minutes ago, Jwraith said:

if I arrive and the first taxi I get into turns around with a smile and says "that'll be 800 baht to Nimman"

They have fixed prices at the airport, it'll not be 800 baht more like 150-200.

Much ado about nothing. Thais are very nice. And most extremely honest. You will be fine. Once a songtha driver took advantage of me for 10 baht, .33 cents. 

Put google translate on your phone. Most Thais speak little English.

Maybe don’t mention women’s soccer. USA beat Thai women 13 to zilch. I’m Canadian for the next few days. ????

You made the mistake of reading this forum. Basically if you follow the mindset here then you are doomed. In reality you will be fine. Maybe someone will try to overcharge you $3-5 but it's not worth the time to worry about that after paying $2000 for a plane ticket. 

Get the free airport open electric shuttle bus (ask Information counter where it stops) to airport plaza mall (2 minutes away) and get a taxi from there after grabbing something to eat/drink in airport plaza....most people have basic English, you are not hitting a wall of no English as can happen in poorer remote places. Get Grab app on your phone and get an Grab taxi even...

From airport plaza probably 80 Baht.

RELAX ! I was a bit para on my first trip to Thailand nearly 20 years ago.

6 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Yes, that will help him get his wallet emptied 4sure.

With his NEWB in Thailand facial expression (trying to overlay a poker face over confusion and worry..all-in-1) ...better yet, don't leave CM airport and domestic flight down to Pat and RING THE BELL at busiest part of night....

1 hour ago, Jwraith said:

I don't know anyone in Thailand, I'll be traveling alone (male), and I do not speak Thai.

seriously you should think about a back up wallet that you leave in your hotel room safe.

spare credit card, ATM card and about 5000 baht in cash. leave your passport there too.

also never give your passport as a deposit for anything.

and always wear a condom.

Archived