Snake ID please

beachbuggy

You are correct.  Banded Krait.  Venomous, but not aggressive.  Bites happen when they are accidently stood on or touched.  They are nocturnal and eat other snakes.

I heard a story that these snakes like to come into houses in the cool season to get warm, and the warmest place is in the bed with a human.  One gets in, snuggles up to you in bed to get warm, but when you turn over in your sleep and squash it it will bite you out of defense.  Not sure how often that happens though lol.

zzzz.PNG

2 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

It is indeed a Wolf snake... 

The yellow bands on a Krait are similar width to the black sections. 

Wolf snakes yellow bands are much thinner than the black....

I am not sure about my ID now, but still think its a Krait.  Look at this photo of a wolf snakes.... the yellow bands are very thin, not like the photos in the OP: (just my personal opinion).

zzzzz.PNG

You are correct.  Banded Krait.  Venomous, but not aggressive.  Bites happen when they are accidently stood on or touched.  They are nocturnal and eat other snakes.

I heard a story that these snakes like to come into houses in the cool season to get warm, and the warmest place is in the bed with a human.  One gets in, snuggles up to you in bed to get warm, but when you turn over in your sleep and squash it it will bite you out of defense.  Not sure how often that happens though lol.

zzzz.PNG.74c8917817dcdf34e36ad46233bc19d4.PNG

We had one last yr nxt door
My brother and some friends took care of it
A pity really because they are actually quite shy and nocturnal
But they very powerful venom indeed !

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:07 AM, KC 71 said:

We had one last yr nxt door
My brother and some friends took care of it
A pity really because they are actually quite shy and nocturnal
But they very powerful venom indeed !

I have seen a few over the years, including one on our patio.  Really they are placid and docile snakes and don't come after you or strike out like a cobra would.  They only bite if accidently stood on or harassed a lot.  But, yes, they are potentially fatal!!!  

Thai name for them translates something like 'triangle snake' because their body is triangular shape in cross section.  They have a nice 'paint job' too.    

I have seen a few over the years, including one on our patio.  Really they are placid and docile snakes and don't come after you or strike out like a cobra would.  They only bite if accidently stood on or harassed a lot.  But, yes, they are potentially fatal!!!  

Thai name for them translates something like 'triangle snake' because their body is triangular shape in cross section.  They have a nice 'paint job' too.    

To be fair,its female mozzies and giant centipedes i have no time for
I will kill them in an instant !

You speak true [emoji106]

Its  a Laotian Wolf snake,that was killed, just because it was a snake,!

Krait's  have a triangular body profile,are a docile snake,leave alone

and would be no problem.

regards worgeordie

No it wasn't... Bands on Kraits are approx equal width, unlike a wolf snake, where the black segments are much wider than the yellow.

I aunt taking no chances
Thanks for the info though
My brothers didn’t seem keen on it
An they live here ,so i will take their word for it !
What do i know ?

Its  a Laotian Wolf snake,that was killed, just because it was a snake,!
Krait's  have a triangular body profile,are a docile snake,leave alone
and would be no problem.
regards worgeordie

Sorry to kill innocent snakes ,but you can never be too sure
Especially in this neck of the woods !

Archived