BANGKOK 19 July 2019 02:19
bahtboy

Bike licence for Thai

I have a long time lady friend in the Pattaya area who drives a motorcycle everywhere but has never held a licence. I've told her that I would like her to get one and (amazingly) she wants to. She tells me that she's done some research and needs to get an appointment online and attend the Land and Transport office every morning before 07:30 and take 5 hour lessons each day, at the end of which she has to take an exam both driving and written, at the end of which, if she passes, she will be able to get her new licence.

I thought that was a very long process and was sceptical as to whether Thais actually did go through this process. I asked her to ask friends if there was an easier way and she came back to me that a friend of a friend who works at the Driving Centre could obtain a licence for her at a cost of 2,500 baht without any of the above procedure. Obviously this is an under the counter payment and hence illegal, but is this what Thais normally do?

Before she goes down either path I'd like comments from anybody who has obtained a Thai motorcycle driving licence in Pattaya and how did they go about it, price paid etc. Regards, bahtboy.

It's illegal but the licence is renewable, use to be 500 baht on top of other costs a couple of years ago.

If she wants to do it that way let her pay for it, if you get my drift.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bahtboy said:

an appointment online and attend the Land and Transport office every morning before 07:30 and take 5 hour lessons each day, at the end of which she has to take an exam both driving and written, at the end of which, if she passes, she will be able to get her new licence.

Each day? How many. Sounds harsh. Pattaya specific?

What I did here in the sticks 2015: appointment offline in the "big book".

Had to wait 3 weeks (!).

Office opens at 8 AM, registration, physical reaction/eyesight tests followed by some "lessons"
until the afternoon of the first day (many youngsters sleeping, much of it watching blurry videos).

Second day: electronic theory test (multiple choice) in the morning.

Practical "driving test" (a joke) in the afternoon on the yard.

Same procedure for Thai and foreigner except that the theory test for foreigners is in English and the questions are from a pool of only 90 questions (easier than for Thai people).

If she looks for a legal easier route: look for a driving school.

5 hours ago, bahtboy said:

2,500 baht without any of the above procedure

Not the first time that I hear about such corrupt procedure. Surprised?

Posted (edited)

When my GF made her motorbike driving license in Udon, it was like this, should be similar in Pattaya:

Called the DLT and had to make an "appointment" for the theory part (was not fully booked, appointment was the next day)

Went to the appointment in the next morning with ID card, copies, medical certificate and stuff like this.

Completed a form, had to do the reaction and vision test, then had to sit in the classroom for a few hours. After this she had to take the theoretical exam and was done at maybe 3pm.

She passed the theory test, so was told to come back the next morning for the practical exam, after passing this as well she got her driving license.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, jackdd said:

When my GF made her motorbike driving license in Udon, it was like this, should be similar in Pattaya:

A two day procedure. Only slightly different to what it was here.

when did they start bookings ONLINE never heard of this!!!

I just went to DLT Patts got a ticket and waited till called...had to sit and watch a stupid VIDEO...for 1 hour....which was all in Thai....even the subtitles were IN THAI...how stupid is this...5 or 6 thais were asleep, Ozzie bloke on left was playing game on phone...yank to my right was doing the same...!!!

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, essox essox said:

I just went to DLT Patts got a ticket and waited till called

And you are writing about doing a new driving license from scratch with theory and practical test?

I doubt that this can be done as a walk in and same day.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Posted (edited)

From the Chonburi DLT website (translated from Thai):

From Thursday 2 May 2019 onwards, 
people who want to book a training queue to make all types of driving licenses have to reserve a training queue via the DLT Smart Queue system only

dltsmartqueue.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

I bought my 14 year old son a copy of the Thah highway code from SE books this morning for 120 baht. All in Thai of course.

On 6/12/2019 at 10:10 AM, bahtboy said:

07:30 and take 5 hour lessons each day,

How many days please ??

I live on Koh Samui.  I obtained my car and bike license at a government-approved private driving school.

Being a retired member of a police force I was interested in finding out as much as I could about the Thai licensing process so I went the "Whole nine yards" of the process to see why Thailand has a huge problem with both licenses and driving skills.  I observed this:

1) The basic Thai road rules have got some horrible errors that confuse Thais, hence, they choose to ignore them. Giving way is their biggest problem. vehicle size and "bullying" is the norm here.

2) the online electronic theory for bikes and cars is identical but one must sit BOTH for both licenses.  The translation of the exam from Thai to English was done by an unemployed rice farmer and is horribly confusing and inaccurate.  in my particular instance the only way I could pass was to discuss each question with my Thai partner then listen to her choice.

3) the practical learning and exam was nothing but low-speed maneuvering around a small area with an emphasis on PARKING! - something that Thais NEVER do correctly! No high-speed work at all.  It is no wonder Thais cannot handle a vehicle high-speed correction.

4) All those long practical learning hours? - logging on and off with your thumb-scan? - The driving school was aware of my abilities and experience so it was a matter of logging on - go shopping - logging off until the hours were up - - - - -

My apologies to all.....I obviously misunderstood what this lady was telling me....it turns out now that she has contacted a friend who seems to work at a driving school. She attended this school last Monday and spent several hours there taking lessons. It was only when she sent a copy of a receipt for 1,000 baht to me for that first lesson that I realised it was a driving school.  She has to attend this coming Sunday from 06:30 until 18:00 for further lessons during which she takes a sight test, then she tells me that she will get her licence on the next Thursday or Friday. That's about as much as I understand. Her English is quite good and she tried to explain to me, but obviously not good enough for me to understand fully. So I now believe that the driving school is able to obtain a licence for her legally because they may be "accredited" by the Transport Office. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bahtboy said:

So I now believe that the driving school is able to obtain a licence for her legally because they may be "accredited" by the Transport Office. 

I was under the impression, when these new requirements came out, that you had to do the set amount of lessons with an accredited school.

Then take the receipt or proof to the DLT to be able to sit the exams. But maybe the schools can issue the licence ??

Is it just me or does anybody else get confused when Thais try to explain things? I'm guessing now....everybody! TIT, and I love it...but I get confused more each day! LOL!

• Haha 1

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 6:12 PM, billd766 said:

I bought my 14 year old son a copy of the Thah highway code from SE books this morning for 120 baht. All in Thai of course.

What other language would you expect the Thai highway code to be written in?

• Haha 1