BANGKOK 26 June 2019 01:42
webfact

Hong Kong protesters storm key road next to government offices amid chaotic scenes

16 hours ago, Traubert said:

No they won't. They didn't in 2015, why would they today? Who is China murdering?

The legislation will go through and the protest will fizzle out. Then the leaders will go on a world tour like they did last time and accept their awards in America.

It's so transparent it's laughable.

The report above says ' against a proposed extradition bill that would allow people to be sent to mainland China for trial.' The legislation also includes Taiwan and Macau. There is no mention of that or the case that spurred the debate.

A Hong Konger murdered his Taiwanese girlfriend and fled back to HK. With no extradition agreement in place, all they could charge him with was money laundering. Talk about muddying the waters.

I'm not Chinese, nor do I have residency in Hong Kong. Seems it is the business of the two factions to work it out.

On 6/12/2019 at 9:12 AM, webfact said:

China denies accusations that it tramples on human rights.

Wait, wait! China and human rights violations in the same sentence?

Must be a typo. Say it ain't so.

If true, my world view has been shaken to the foundations.

<heavy sarcasm alert>

Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2019 at 10:24 AM, sweatalot said:

The people have a voice and they speak

Reminds me on Germany 30 years ago when they shouted "WE are the people"

Local groups have called for citizens to participate in the “three suspensions” in protest of the bill: to skip work and school, shut down businesses and exchange your Local money into foreign currencies.  

Now this is power of the people.   Unlike another country I won't mention.

Xi definitely has his hands full these days... 555

Edited by Nowisee

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:35 PM, Thakkar said:

That is not going to happen. 

Xi does not need the negative attention in the midst of various social problems at home, a slowing economy, and escalating trade tensions. 

Xi is meticulous and calculating, not reckless. Better to withdraw and try a different tack. Back home, with total control of information, he can spin it any way he wants and most Chinese will shrug and accept. 

Carrie Lam, on the other hand will be out on her ears soon as things settle down. She has lost the confidence of both Beijing, and Hongkongers

Thakkar  seems  your prediction was spot on .