BANGKOK 24 July 2019 15:26
webfact

Udon Thani: German pensioner electrocuted trying to do his own pump repairs

Udon Thani: German pensioner electrocuted trying to do his own pump repairs 

5pm_VI.jpg

Caption: Saying goodbye with incense to husband

Sanook reported that a 78 year old German pensioner was electrocuted trying to repair a pump at his house in the Nong Samrong area of Udon Thani in Thailand's north-east. 

Police said he had not unplugged the pump.

A video on Sanook showed his Thai wife lighting incense saying goodbye to her husband.

Mr Werrer (name transliterated from Thai) was found by the pump and a 2,000 liter water container.

His right hand had burns and there was a monkey wrench and pliers by the body. 

Warunee, 56, his wife said they had been pottering about the garden before her husband decided to mend the pump that had been broken for two days. She said he liked to do odd jobs around the house.

She found him lying dead a while later and alerted neighbors. 

Muang district police said that he had not unplugged the pump before attempting repairs and had likely been electrocuted. An autopsy has been ordered. 

Warunee said that the couple met more than ten years ago in Koh Samui where she was working as a traditional Thai masseuse. 

They got married and later moved into the house in her hometown five years ago. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-12

Before commenting on this topic, please consider the subject matter and be respectful that someone has died.
Any off topic and/or insensitive posts will be removed without warning and could result in those who made the posts being banned from the site. 
  • Like 1

Germans are usually pragmatic in their approach to such things as turning the electric off I guess at 78 he failed to do the basic test 🤔

• Like 1

I've always been surprised over here the general attitude to do it yourself fixing of electrical things. My landlord comes around and sorts out issues with fuse boxes, water pumps etc - stuff that back home we'd almost always outsource to a professional. A timely but sad reminder that some things are best left to those who are experienced. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Oh man. Silly bugger. RIP 

NOTE: If you must do your own repairs please buy a cheap multi meter from HomePro or whatever. Learn how to use it: YouTube.

Test on a known power source, test your appliance or whatever you plan to work on/touch, then test your meter again. 

very simple process that WILL save your life. 

Edited by MadMuhammad
  • Like 2

Thai electrics,??  no thankyou,

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Back when I was in the RAF I was always taught SIDE

Switch off

Isolate

Dump

Earth

But why did you flyboys need to go to the dunny though?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Muang district police said that he had not unplugged the pump before attempting repairs and had likely been electrocuted.

That´s brilliant! Almost like pouring gasoline on yourself at the same time as lightening a cigarette.

Depends if it was hard wired or a plug in,i have 2 houses one pump is a plug in,one hard wired ,wires are under the pump,so he would have had too turn off the main fuse box,even then knowing Thai electrics,still risky,somehow due to builders building opposite me,and wiring up to the meter box i ended up with a live fuse box inside the house!

• Like 1