BANGKOK 26 June 2019 00:33
webfact

Udon Thani: German pensioner electrocuted trying to do his own pump repairs

On 6/12/2019 at 12:40 PM, dddave said:

Multi meter best for sure but every toolbox should at least have one of the pen shaped electrical field testers.  Just wave it near wires or an electrical device and it will buzz if there is a live wire.  Less than B200 at all hardware and home improvement stores or online at Lazada:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/non-contact-electronic-digital-display-pencil-digital-test-pencil-super-safety-induction-pen-led-i262834774-s405288306.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistcategory.list.50.548c37f8wUCH2Y&search=1

Most importantly, MadMuhammad  wrote "TRY IT ON A KNOWN POWER SOURCE FIRST"..

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

What a ridiculous post. Why's the government responsible for the poor German man's death, when he forgot to pull the main fuse?

Accidents do happen, and they happen all over the world. 🙂-

See my ridiculous explanation just above your intelligent response. It is not about accidents that happen. No, these accidents can be avoided. Do you have a circuit breaker in your living area? Government should make them mandatory.

• Like 1

Just don't work on stuff where you have got no idea of how dangerous it can get. And that includes brakes on cars, motorcycles, etc....

I certainly agree with you as far as you go.

However, let me offer this bit:
If you are afraid of learning then you will always be ignorant.

I prefer to study, understand, and then fully informed of the technicalities AND dangers, I make a decision.

If I decide to make an attempt at the repair I carefully approach the situation with the right tools/knowledge and often seek further advice from others.

Sometimes I'm successful, sometimes not.

But I ALWAYS learn something I didn't know before.

Everything in life is a gamble. You can't learn to run if you are afraid to walk.

The more you know the more powerful you are when approaching new situations.

And what's actually perhaps the greatest reward for your troubles is that sometimes you can help others do simple things that they didn't know were simple.

"Teach a man to fish" and all that stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Just don't forget to switch your power off! 

That is the last thing to be connected as I plug it in.

My local Somchai fixit brought the Hitachi back this afternoon and the repair cost was only 500 baht and he delivered it personally.

A great fixer of anything electrical including water pumps, washing machines, TV sets etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hugocnx said:

See my ridiculous explanation just above your intelligent response. It is not about accidents that happen. No, these accidents can be avoided. Do you have a circuit breaker in your living area? Government should make them mandatory.

I have a Safe-T-Cut about 1 metre away from my desk followed by a circuit breaker box that isolates a/c, shower heaters, lights and sockets individually or in groups.

1 hour ago, hugocnx said:

Government should make them mandatory.

Oddly enough, they are, at least on new installations.

Just like back home, the regulations are not retrospective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Oddly enough, they are, at least on new installations.

Just like back home, the regulations are not retrospective.

As I wrote myself >>All electrical installations should imo have mandatory circuit breakers (maybe already declared a law).<<

Yes, I know it's not all that easy and if a new law isn't that harsh it is easier to have it retrospective.

Silly example maybe, but true; The law on wearing a helmet when riding a moped or heavier 2 wheeler. Nobody was wearing one; protected by the Gods. Now suddenly everyone must buy a helmet and wear it. For what? Not to possibly die in an accident? Does the government care?

A circuit breaker is more expensive and that hurts for many Thai. So should the government not subsidize to protect it's citizens.

It feels like a double standard. It's okay to die from electrocution but not when having a traffic accident.

Okay, enough.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, hugocnx said:

As I wrote myself >>All electrical installations should imo have mandatory circuit breakers (maybe already declared a law).<<

Yes, I know it's not all that easy and if a new law isn't that harsh it is easier to have it retrospective.

Silly example maybe, but true; The law on wearing a helmet when riding a moped or heavier 2 wheeler. Nobody was wearing one; protected by the Gods. Now suddenly everyone must buy a helmet and wear it. For what? Not to possibly die in an accident? Does the government care?

A circuit breaker is more expensive and that hurts for many Thai. So should the government not subsidize to protect it's citizens.

It feels like a double standard. It's okay to die from electrocution but not when having a traffic accident.

Okay, enough.

My house water pump is simply a socket connected to our second house.

Having said that it runs through a 6 way cct breaker box and before that is a Safe-T-Cut out box.

56 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Having said that it runs through a 6 way cct breaker box and before that is a Safe-T-Cut out box.

56 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Way to go. If you get a shot at least you won't die. It almost feels like a real shot; got some myself. Just stupidity.

• Like 1