German motorbike driver dies on Patong Hill, Phuket

webfact

German motorbike driver dies on Patong Hill, Phuket

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

34303.jpg

A German motorbike driver has died at the scene after colliding with a pickup truck travelling down Patong Hill in Phuket.

The Kathu police were notified of the accident on Monday night on Phra Baramee Road, on the Kathu side of the notoriously dangerous Patong hill road.

Police and emergency responders arrived to find the damaged motorbike. Nearby they found the body of a foreign man who was later identified by police as 58 year old Michael Erwin, a German national. His body was taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital and consular officials notified.

25 year old Rthit Ketsamut, the pickup truck driver, was waiting for police at the scene. An alcohol breath test was conducted on the pickup truck driver. It registered ‘zero’.

Witnesses told police that the motorbike driver had tried to overtake another vehicle but instead collided with the pickup truck which was driving in the opposite lane.

Police have checked CCTV footage and are continuing their investigation.

34301.jpg

34302.jpg

34304.jpg

Source: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/german-motorbike-driver-dies-on-patong-hill-phuket

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-06-12

1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

Looks like the pickup driver almost was driving in the middle of the road.

I doubt the pick up would have stopped dead where it was hit. It would have travelled for some distance and it had steering damage by the look of the pics. 

RIP to the guy.

For what it's worth, in my 20 years in Thailand I avoided riding on motorbikes. A dangerous mode of transport anyway, on Thai roads no way. (Even more so if on the back with a Thai driver, ie: motorbike taxi)

Maybe ok for tootling down deserted dirt tracks etc, and that's about it.

2 hours ago, PatOngo said:

That's the third story today about German fatalities...not an auspicious time for them, it seems! Duct tape, electrocution and road fatality.

Was about to say the same Swiss or Brits stay in bed tomorrow ????

3 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Looks like the pickup driver almost was driving in the middle of the road.

The last photograph show where it hit. The Thai not make it happen.

The thai not drunk, maybe the German drunk. On holiday, like to drink. Maybe not have lisense.

2 hours ago, Valentine said:

It is possible the pick up driver veered slightly to the right after hitting the motorbike

Exactly.... there is a photo which shows where the impact was made. 

It would appear that the pick-up took about 20m + to stop and in doing so his wheels veered across to the right... 

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 13.21.29.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 13.21.39.png

Maybe the answer is to put a solid barrier down the center of these dangerous roads and hills in Phuket making sure opposing traffic is forcefully separated - how many lives would be saved ?

Also introduce a strict speed limit across the island of 40kph - Phuket seems to be a real accident Hub, something needs to be done

28 minutes ago, Yinn said:

The thai not drunk, maybe the German drunk. On holiday, like to drink. Maybe not have lisense.

Yes Thais obey all the road laws and never have accidents - right ?

what a stupid comment

Wouldn’t your reactionary response be to turn the wheel away from the initial collision? If that is the case, the driver was further right than where he ended up....

i don't think where the trucks rests indicates where the collision was...many factors involved need to be looked at....

it looks like a head on so blame needs to be assigned...

lets hear from more than one party....easy to blame a voiceless dead person to protect oneself....

xenophobia and and lack of critical thinking skills sure raises its head in a previous remark....

55 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Was about to say the same Swiss or Brits stay in bed tomorrow ????

You should remember that nearly a million Brits holiday in Thailand every year. The vast majority have a great time and have no major problems. (I'm starting to sound like a British gvt dude!).????

2 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

You should remember that nearly a million Brits holiday in Thailand every year. The vast majority have a great time and have no major problems. (I'm starting to sound like a British gvt dude!).????

https://www.internationalinvestment.net/internationalinvestment/news/3502641/brits-behaving-badly-uk-citizens-arrested

This says otherwise, sorry i couldnt resist ????

27 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

I'm not saying that they're all well behaved, you can see them on any Saturday night in Britain in any city center. "Men" who can't take their drink.

However, it's still not many is it?:One-thirtieth as many Brits travelled to Thailand as Spain during the year in question – or 432,000 – of which, as noted above, 194 found themselves in trouble with the law, the data shows.

I have a figure of 987,456 British arrivals to Thailand per annum, arrests in the hundreds isn't very many at all, which is the point I made. In fact, knowing how many drunken-neanderthals there are in my country, I'm surprised it's so few!

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

RIP to the guy.

For what it's worth, in my 20 years in Thailand I avoided riding on motorbikes. A dangerous mode of transport anyway, on Thai roads no way. (Even more so if on the back with a Thai driver, ie: motorbike taxi)

Maybe ok for tootling down deserted dirt tracks etc, and that's about it.

RIP to the guy.

For what its worth, in my 40 years in Thailand I have ridden a motorcycle almost constantly.

22 minutes ago, Seismic said:

RIP to the guy.

For what its worth, in my 40 years in Thailand I have ridden a motorcycle almost constantly.

OK, I'm maybe just much more cautious. However:

"Yet, one thing remains the same; road traffic deaths among motorcyclists in Thailand are still the highest in the world. It is estimated that crashes and deaths cost the country about 500 billion baht,..."

Bangkok Post

Perhaps the CCTV will reveal how the motorcyclist and motorcycle manged to end up so far back from what seems to be the (presumed?) post-impact stopping point of the pick-up, and even further back from the presumed point of impact (which the policeman is indicating?).

German man dies in motorbike accident

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1560340349_1-org.jpg

The 25-year-old Thai man who drove the pickup truck may yet face charges for his part in the fatal accident. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET:-- Police may yet charge a Thai man for his part in a fatal head-on collision on Monday night (June 10) that killed a 58-year-old German man.

The accident occurred in front of the Suwanpupa hotel, next to the PTT petrol station, on Phra Baramee Rd on the east side of Patong Hill.

An officer at the Phuket Tourist Assistance Centre (TAC) stationed at Patong Police Station was informed that the German man* died at the scene. His body was taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town, said a report sent to The Phuket News.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/german-man-dies-in-motorbike-accident-71774.php#W90dJqtGwkTcG8wY.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-06-12

9 hours ago, Valentine said:

It is possible the pick up driver veered slightly to the right after hitting the motorbike

Kinetic energy comes into it also but Thaivisa posters just like to have a go at every driver in Thailand apart from themselves.

6 hours ago, smedly said:

Also introduce a strict speed limit across the island of 40kph - Phuket seems to be a real accident Hub, something needs to be done

A 40kph limit wouldn't do anything to help a bike doing 40 hitting a pickup doing 40 head on, that has the effect of an 80 kph impact.

6 hours ago, smedly said:
7 hours ago, Yinn said:

Yes Thais obey all the road laws and never have accidents - right ?

what a stupid comment

Yinn's talking specifics, not generalities, it seems from what was reported in the OP Yinn could be right, not "stupid"!

Edit: It also seems that since I made that comment an update has been posted that could implicate the pickup driver but at the time Yinn made the comment it was not stupid.

Archived