BANGKOK 18 June 2019 11:41
Khun Ed

Stopped On Re-entry For Too Many Tourist Visas

After coming in and out of Thailand on tourist visas for the last few years, yesterday on my way to KL an officer scribbled something in my passport with out explaining. After speaking with Thai friends at the airport they told me I'd had the 24 hour rule written ie; I can only come in to Thailand for 24 hours on my return. Painful. I am returning to my home country. Does any one know if I can come back on a different visa ie Education visa. I have a Thai GF so we could get married. Or am I screwed. No more Thailand? I am in my 40s.

This is not something I've come across before, I doubt it's any form of official policy.

Can you post a photo of the "scribbled something"?

Did you speak to Thai friends in English, Thai or a combination?

It is surprising how badly things get translated between languages and come back as something completely wrong. 

• Like 2

I spoke to Airasia stewardesses and sent the photo to my GF. I will post it here

@Khun Ed Interesting, did you overstay at all (less than 24 hours)? 

No overstay. I was on my way out to KL to get a new tourist visa. I have been existing in Thailand on tourist visas non stop for a few years

Your own suggestion, getting married, will be the best solution, immigration is not happy these days with people living in Thailand on tourist visa or visa exempt entries.

But never seen that one before.

• Like 1

Would you suggest I speak to the Thai embassy when I'm home in the UK for the best way forward?

• Haha 1

Yes, that's what the script in Thai says - you can come, but only for 24 hours. Never heard of this before, it's almost like a minimal grace period so one can collect belongings / tidy affairs etc. Harsh, if Thailand has been your home for years.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yes understood. I will research ed visas. Hopefully this wont put me on some kind of blacklist. The rules are not easy to dig up. during those years I did take a few months out in Bali, Cambodia etc so it was not a 3 year block.

Edited by Khun Ed