Stopped On Re-entry For Too Many Tourist Visas

After coming in and out of Thailand on tourist visas for the last few years, yesterday on my way to KL an officer scribbled something in my passport with out explaining. After speaking with Thai friends at the airport they told me I'd had the 24 hour rule written ie; I can only come in to Thailand for 24 hours on my return. Painful. I am returning to my home country. Does any one know if I can come back on a different visa ie Education visa. I have a Thai GF so we could get married. Or am I screwed. No more Thailand? I am in my 40s.

Your own suggestion, getting married, will be the best solution, immigration is not happy these days with people living in Thailand on tourist visa or visa exempt entries.

But never seen that one before.

• Like 1

Yes, that's what the script in Thai says - you can come, but only for 24 hours. Never heard of this before, it's almost like a minimal grace period so one can collect belongings / tidy affairs etc. Harsh, if Thailand has been your home for years.

• Like 1

Yes understood. I will research ed visas. Hopefully this wont put me on some kind of blacklist. The rules are not easy to dig up. during those years I did take a few months out in Bali, Cambodia etc so it was not a 3 year block.

Edited by Khun Ed

9 minutes ago, Khun Ed said:

Would you suggest I speak to the Thai embassy when I'm home in the UK for the best way forward?

No! Thai embassies/consulates are a terrible source of advice on how to deal with Thai immigration. Trust them only on the services they provide themselves.

In the short term, you can continue to use tourist visas, but will need to enter Thailand by land. One reasonable routing is a ticket to Kuala Lumpur, then Air Asia to Vientiane, cross to Nong Khai, and onward travel via Udon airport.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, mstevens said:

Yes, that's what the script in Thai says - you can come, but only for 24 hours. Never heard of this before, it's almost like a minimal grace period so one can collect belongings / tidy affairs etc. Harsh, if Thailand has been your home for years.

Could understand it if it said not permitted to re-enter for 24 hours (if he'd been doing "Turn Around" style border hops) but very harsh to say he can come back but for only 24 hours - Never heard of that one before 

OP as has been mentioned, a land border might be your best option.

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

"has been home for years"

How is that possible using TOURIST visas.

OP has been remarkably lucky

Of course if one's base / home / call it what you will is Thailand then a long-term visa is a better solution, but certainly many consider Thailand their home despite coming and going on tourist visas. Questionable to do that, of course, but I still maintain it's very harsh on someone who had considered Thailand home and may for all we know be an honourable person in every way, taking care of a Thai lady, extended family etc.

54 minutes ago, Khun Ed said:

I spoke to Airasia stewardesses and sent the photo to my GF. I will post it here

I very much doubt that AirAsia hostesses would be knowledgeable about visa stuff  / able to clearly translate the real meaning in Thai let alone translate the meaning clearly from Thai to English. Then again perhaps that's not what your meaning in your comment. 

Good luck.

15 minutes ago, mstevens said:

Of course if one's base / home / call it what you will is Thailand then a long-term visa is a better solution, but certainly many consider Thailand their home despite coming and going on tourist visas. Questionable to do that, of course, but I still maintain it's very harsh on someone who had considered Thailand home and may for all we know be an honourable person in every way, taking care of a Thai lady, extended family etc.

True....however OP stated "few months out" over last 3 years. So something like 80%+ time living in los on tourist visas. That's a good effort. I'm surprised. One thread couple months back member refused entry at DM arriving from Saigon. With setv. Was returned to Saigon was refused there then to UK. That person had far less history than the op

The OP has been lucky. 

Edited by DrJack54

17 minutes ago, mstevens said:

Point taken, but how could the Immigration services of any country sort out who is honourable etc., etc., and is that really why Immigration offices exist?

It's in everybody's best interests for him to get his ducks all in a row with the right visa etc., perhaps, as he's already mentioned, get married and get a visa based on marriage to a Thai lady, from my understanding not that difficult to get up and running, then on-going no problems at all, no need to have all this stuff about 'will they let me in this time' etc.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Khun Ed said:

Yes understood. I will research ed visas. Hopefully this wont put me on some kind of blacklist. The rules are not easy to dig up. during those years I did take a few months out in Bali, Cambodia etc so it was not a 3 year block.

No, no worries about blacklist.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mstevens said:

If it does say that I don't see how it can be enforced? If he arrives on a TV and they grant him entry he will be given 60 days as normal - they are hardly going to come looking for him after 24 hours just because a Immi Officer has scribbled something in his PP however if it is spotted by the Officer at entry then it may cause a problem in regards to being granted entry

As far as I know there is no 24 hour entry stamp for Thailand

OP I wouldn't worry about the 24 hour thing but if you have been here for a few years on TV then you have done very well - maybe it's time to look at other options - the ED Visa is a good one

That is a very strange annotation. My guess is that it is code to similarly minded immigration officials to deny entry. Probably, if you had a ticket out of Thailand within 24 hours, they would allow you to enter. Otherwise, if entering at the entry points that enforce the unofficial, unannounced rules, you would be denied entry. I do not think it would have any effect at those entry points still following only the law and publicly announced restrictions.

12 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

s far as I know there is no 24 hour entry stamp for Thailand

A few years ago when lots of people did back to back monthly visa exempt entries at Mae Sai the guy in front of me was told on returning to Thailand he  had only 24 hours. I didn't see his passport so don't know if there was a stamp. He left for Chiang Khong/Huay Xai.

1 minute ago, my friend I said:

A few years ago when lots of people did back to back monthly visa exempt entries at Mae Sai the guy in front of me was told on returning to Thailand he  had only 24 hours. I didn't see his passport so don't know if there was a stamp. He left for Chiang Khong/Huay Xai.

Well that is good feedback that this sort of thing can happen. But to be leaving Thailand with a bit of scribble in your passport you cannot read, only to find out when you next fly in, is harsh treatment indeed. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Be grateful you have scammed the visa system for so long and not getting caught before. 

Could you do the same thing in the UK????

Hardly a scam muppet, when there are no official number of times you can go in and out. Its 2 months plus one month as people on this board know. We are talking about t how many visa runs you can do.

Edited by Khun Ed
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Khun Ed said:

Hardly a scam myuppet, when there are no official number of times you can go in and out.

I think the allowed is 180 days as I recall per year

I am sure someone much more knowledgably will give the number  

However you have staed you are not a tourist but a resident >>

Edited by RJRS1301

I accept that I cannot continue to go in and out on tourist visa though now I am heading to the UK I would like to return and will research how to get an Ed visa whilst abroad. I can only be married once Im in Thailand to my Thai GF so its catch 22. Thanks for the constructive comments.