Stopped On Re-entry For Too Many Tourist Visas

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Not at the airport.

They/she told him that Imm' offices have stopped issuing 30 day extensions at all the offices. 

Sorry, I read that as swampy, being the airport. 

I would expect us to hear about something so major from someone being turned away. 

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Sorry, I read that as swampy, being the airport. 

I would expect us to hear about something so major from someone being turned away. 

Yep, I just don't see them stopping doing it. Makes you wonder what else people are told and we never see it posted on here as the visitors won't  be TV members.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:
14 hours ago, overherebc said:

Sort of related. Met a guy today who claims he was told by a female IO in swampy that they had stopped issuing 30 day extensions on a VE entry and he would have to go to his own country after 30 days and get a visa. His outbound ticket is dated 6 weeks from now.

No-one believes it but he is concerned about it.

Why would immigration officials at the airport be issuing Extensions?

It's not hard to believe that with the language differences & "Chinese Whispers" effect of a guy telling a guy, it could have been the IO on arrival told That One GUY that HE would not be able to get another Extension/ VE Entry but would need to go to his own country to get a Visa

In other words stopped just short of denying him entry this time which she would have been well within her rights to do as he didn't have an outbound ticket within the duration of his permission to stay (Another possibility is that she was warning him of this for next time he enters - I.e. If you're staying longer than 30 days you need to get a Visa).

On a semi-related point, I don't think I've ever come across a report where an IO has suggested going anywhere else but your country when it comes to getting a visa.

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

It's not hard to believe that with the language differences & "Chinese Whispers" effect of a guy telling a guy, it could have been the IO on arrival told That One GUY that HE would not be able to get another Extension/ VE Entry but would need to go to his own country to get a Visa [In other words stopped just short of denying him entry this time]. 

On a semi-related point, I don't think I've ever come across a report where an IO has suggested going anywhere else but your country when it comes to getting a visa.

Not just wrong info' at entry points. I've been told that I can't be 'legal' in Thailand when I say each of my 1 year visas I can make last 17 months, by 'knowledgeable' ex-pats? 

11 hours ago, Khun Ed said:

Now is time to hit Mont Kiara and drink my sorrows down

Theres a new bar called Social there thats not bad. I prefer healy macs at publika nearby.

Or a quick walk up to Seni apartments. Bar there called Hubba Hubba. From 6pm beer is Rm6. Goes up rm1 every hour.

You could try flying up to Alor Setar. Then 40 min taxi to Bukit Kayu Hitam. Its a pretty cruisy Land border then spend the night in Dannok before moving on up.

If you want a number for a thai guy at the border who will get u thru, for a price, then pm me. He gets the hostess girls here their visas every 30 days. You dont need to meet him prior. He works at the border every day.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Not just wrong info' at entry points. I've been told that I can't be 'legal' in Thailand when I say each of my 1 year visas I can make last 17 months, by 'knowledgeable' ex-pats? 

If you're on a 1 year Visa then I'm assuming you're on a Non-OA which can be made to last 24 months, If you're on a 1 year Non-O ME then you can make this last 15 months (With Border hops every 90 days)

If you're actually on an 1 year Extension to a previous visa, then you can only make this last until the "Permission to Stay Until" date, as you can apply for the extension 30 days (even 45 in some places) early, then technically you can make it last 17 months, but really the 1st month is on the old extension/visa 

Edited by Mike Teavee

10 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

If you're on a 1 year Visa then I'm assuming you're on a Non-OA which can be made to last 24 months, If you're on a 1 year Non-O ME then you can make this last 15 months (With Border hops every 90 days)

If you're actually on an 1 year Extension to a previous visa, then you can only make this last until the permission to stay until date, as you can apply for the extension 30 days (even 45 in some places) then you can make it last 17 months, but really the 1st month is on the old permission to stay/visa 

Non O multi, leave/enter one day before expiry get 90 days, then 60 days extension to stay issued locally ( 1900 baht ) makes 17 months give or take a few days.  

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

i haven't read all the pages but have you considered getting a new passport while you are in the UK and then returning with a new SETV via a land border ?

edit:  then you can consider marriage ?  or another alternative while here in the kingdom.

Edited by buick
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Non O multi, leave/enter one day before expiry get 90 days, then 60 days extension to stay issued locally ( 1900 baht ) makes 17 months give or take a few days.  

Ahhh... Sorry, I forgot to add the 60 day extension to the final 90 days stamp - you're absolutely right, 17 months it is ???? ... 

Ironically I'm also on a Non-O ME but am trying to get the extension as soon as I can (Not easy when you're in & out 1-2 times a month) so plan is to get stamped in (for 90 days) 3 weeks before the Visa expires, get a Re-Entry permit, carry on in/out 1-2 per month until 30 days before the permit expires, then get the extension 60 days after that. 

All this palaver because of people abusing the Visa Exempt set-up ???? 

3 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Ahhh... Sorry, I forgot to add the 60 day extension to the final 90 days stamp - you're absolutely right, 17 months it is ???? ... 

Ironically I'm also on a Non-O ME but am trying to get the extension as soon as I can (Not easy when you're in & out 1-2 times a month) so plan is to get stamped in (for 90 days) 3 weeks before the Visa expires, get a Re-Entry permit, carry on in/out 1-2 per month until 30 days before the permit expires, then get the extension 60 days after that. 

All this palaver because of people abusing the Visa Exempt set-up ???? 

Both me and she retired so do a lot of travelling, just time a holiday or weeks break somewhere to fit in with the in/outs, 60 day extensions etc.

60 days at the end of any 90 entry also makes it easy if we're not feeling like travelling. I know we could do the 800,000 thing but I feel it's more in my control to use the multi O and don't have to bother with 90 day reports if I don't feel like it.

One size doesn't fit all though.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, buick said:

i haven't read all the pages but have you considered getting a new passport while you are in the UK and then returning with a new SETV via a land border ?

edit:  then you can consider marriage ?  or another alternative while here in the kingdom.

Yes that is a good option. thanks

You are the very definition of the type of traveler Thai Immigration doesn’t want in Thailand. You’ve pretty much admitted that you are not a tourist. You’ve asked about marrying your girlfriend or getting an ED visa as another way to enter the country. It may not seem fair but it is the system you are confronted with today. 

I am a retiree and recently married my Thai girlfriend so I am not against marriage. I think few people would suggest you get married for this reason alone. You haven’t asked her up until now so if you go this route make sure it is for the right reasons. Plus you will have to meet the financial requirements and Thai Immigration will come to your residence to check that you are really married.

Someone suggested that retiree such as myself should not be criticizing your predicament. However when people “abuse” the Immigration laws it can lead to changes in the law that affect all of us. So I can’t really support getting an ED visa unless you really have a burning desire to learn something. It shouldn’t be used to skirt tourist visa problems. Plus Thai Immigration will check to see if you are at a legitimate school and are actually learning something. That is, are you using the ED visa properly. At best it may only get you an extra year or so.

I have followed Thai visa forums for a while and the only sure way for someone of your age to come and/or stay long term is the Thai Elite program. It is expensive up front but costs about $230/month. In my own case I am probably paying $1000/month less than if I rented in the US so $230/month looks pretty good. But I can totally understand why someone would not want to pay 500,000 baht for a 5 year commitment 

The Thai immigration system is more and more computerized. I don’t know if your specific 24 hour restriction was entered but it is likely you are flagged in the system for closer scrutiny. A new passport won’t help you. They can follow you passport to passport. I don’t see how a lawyer inside or outside Thailand can help your situation but it is your money. As you say, just showing up and testing the system hoping to get lucky is an expensive experiment from the UK.

They have financial requirements for expats married to Thais and for people over 50 years of age. It would be nice if they extended financial requirements to people of all ages.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Martyp said:

You are the very definition of the type of traveler Thai Immigration doesn’t want in Thailand. You’ve pretty much admitted that you are not a tourist. You’ve asked about marrying your girlfriend or getting an ED visa as another way to enter the country. It may not seem fair but it is the system you are confronted with today. 

I am a retiree and recently married my Thai girlfriend so I am not against marriage. I think few people would suggest you get married for this reason alone. You haven’t asked her up until now so if you go this route make sure it is for the right reasons. Plus you will have to meet the financial requirements and Thai Immigration will come to your residence to check that you are really married.

Someone suggested that retiree such as myself should not be criticizing your predicament. However when people “abuse” the Immigration laws it can lead to changes in the law that affect all of us. So I can’t really support getting an ED visa unless you really have a burning desire to learn something. It shouldn’t be used to skirt tourist visa problems. Plus Thai Immigration will check to see if you are at a legitimate school and are actually learning something. That is, are you using the ED visa properly. At best it may only get you an extra year or so.

I have followed Thai visa forums for a while and the only sure way for someone of your age to come and/or stay long term is the Thai Elite program. It is expensive up front but costs about $230/month. In my own case I am probably paying $1000/month less than if I rented in the US so $230/month looks pretty good. But I can totally understand why someone would not want to pay 500,000 baht for a 5 year commitment 

The Thai immigration system is more and more computerized. I don’t know if your specific 24 hour restriction was entered but it is likely you are flagged in the system for closer scrutiny. A new passport won’t help you. They can follow you passport to passport. I don’t see how a lawyer inside or outside Thailand can help your situation but it is your money. As you say, just showing up and testing the system hoping to get lucky is an expensive experiment from the UK.

They have financial requirements for expats married to Thais and for people over 50 years of age. It would be nice if they extended financial requirements to people of all ages.

Good luck.

Thanks. Yes you are right. I am now 47. 3 more years and life becomes a lot easier to stay in Thailand. I am lucky to have time to be able to pursue an educational course in the same way a retiree would for a hobby. I have a residual income from businesses abroad I worked hard to acomplish years ago. I am far from rich due to bad investments. But my income would pass the tests. My next doubt is how to return to Thailand to set up the Ed course (marriage still not 100% sure about despite 3 years) Some kind posters have offered solutions that may work.

25 minutes ago, Khun Ed said:

Thanks. Yes you are right. I am now 47. 3 more years and life becomes a lot easier to stay in Thailand. I am lucky to have time to be able to pursue an educational course in the same way a retiree would for a hobby. I have a residual income from businesses abroad I worked hard to acomplish years ago. I am far from rich due to bad investments. But my income would pass the tests. My next doubt is how to return to Thailand to set up the Ed course (marriage still not 100% sure about despite 3 years) Some kind posters have offered solutions that may work.

If your going the marriage route and you have been married before get a original copy of your divorce cert whilst you are home.  I went the marriage route after 8yrs being together and all types of tourist visas inbetween. Best option since slice bread! no more stress,  the immi getting harder on ed visas and new passport is your best option with setv.

10 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

If your going the marriage route and you have been married before get a original copy of your divorce cert whilst you are home.  I went the marriage route after 8yrs being together and all types of tourist visas inbetween. Best option since slice bread! no more stress,  the immi getting harder on ed visas and new passport is your best option with setv.

A new passport won’t help. They can follow you passport to passport in their computer system. 

It is is prudent to have the original divorce documents but when I got married earlier this year all they wanted was the notarized affidavit from the US Consulate. No one actually looked at my documents.

2 minutes ago, Martyp said:

A new passport won’t help. They can follow you passport to passport in their computer system. 

It is is prudent to have the original divorce documents but when I got married earlier this year all they wanted was the notarized affidavit from the US Consulate. No one actually looked at my documents.

yes the notoization etc need to be done here, new passport will just get rid of the pen writting when you go to the local immi office and they thumb through your passport for every extension. but you could be right on the linking, my personal experiences whenever I had a new passport i got less scrutenized coming in and out of Thailand.

4 hours ago, Khun Ed said:

If you have the finances and it seems no overstay problems 500,000 baht elite visa would give you 5 years to think things through.

Sorry if it's been suggested before. ????

2 hours ago, Martyp said:

Not annoyed at all. I feel bad for the people under 50 years of age who are not accommodated by the Thai Immigration system. Many of these people don't follow the visa forums and are caught unaware when the enforcement changes or the rules change.

Whatever people believe is behind the many changes in the Immigration system a tourist visa is not the appropriate visa for long term stay. If you are aware of this and continue to use it that way then you are abusing the system. Of course Immigration is scrutinizing people more closely because people are not using the tourist visa as intended. On that we can agree to disagreed.

No, people on tourists leave the Country when their visa expires  , so, they only stay three months at a time . 

There is no limit to the amount of tourist visas you can get 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, sanemax said:

No, people on tourists leave the Country when their visa expires  , so, they only stay three months at a time . 

There is no limit to the amount of tourist visas you can get 

I am not sure what your point is. There is a six month multiple entry tourist visa that can be extended I think up to three months. Of course people leave when their visa expires. You can try to get a new visa and you can try to come back. Getting a visa still doesn’t guarantee you will be admitted into the country. Admission is up to the discretion of the Immigration Officer. A tourist visa is for temporary stay for the purpose of tourism. It is not intended for long stay to live in Thailand. That is where the discretion of the IO comes into play. What makes you a tourist? What makes you a long stay resident? From the reports I read on this forum and others it seems to depend party on the number of days per year you are inside Thailand and partly the number of entries and frequency of your coming and going. And then there is the question of how long is too long? If you are spending more time in Thailand than in your home country with no means of support then you are of greater chance to attract scrutiny and possibly be denied entry. That is about as precise as it gets. You can claim there is no limit on the number of tourist visas But go tell that to the OP and the many many people with complicated travel histories that are being denied entry.

The OP said he has been coming here for at least three years on multiple tourist visas. We don’t have the statistics of how long and how many visas distributed over that time period. Apparently he reached a limit in the eyes of the IO he last encountered. Maybe he will get back in on an ED visa. Maybe he will show up at a different entry and get lucky and be allowed in. I wish him luck. He is in a difficult but not uncommon position with Thai Immigration 

Edited by Martyp
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

The Ed visa is another sham of yours. You don't seem to want to do it for honest academic pursuits, but as a way to beat the system. As already mentioned your best honest options are putting B500,000 to get an Elite Visa (which might not work with your record) or waiting three years for a retirement visa. Since you aren't sure about marriage, I can't see why you don't see what's holding you in Thailand. 

Sorry but I question why this dialogue keeps going on forever. Time to end.

yes you're not constructive please leave the conversation

• Sad 1

Crazy Update In proceedings.  A lawyer who looked over the image said infact I overstayed 8 hours (which is true) and the words written in the passport simply states the fact I had an overstay of 24 hours. My GF says otherwise and so did the girls at the AirAsia counter - they said i would have 24 hours left in the country if i returned. Does anyone read Thai?

12 minutes ago, Khun Ed said:

Crazy Update In proceedings.  A lawyer who looked over the image said infact I overstayed 8 hours (which is true) and the words written in the passport simply states the fact I had an overstay of 24 hours. My GF says otherwise and so did the girls at the AirAsia counter - they said i would have 24 hours left in the country if i returned. Does anyone read Thai?

GF read it and said it says "allowed not to stay for over 24 hours"

Edited by lovesthespicy