International driving permits NO longer available by post from The AA in the UK

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Just because other people don't obey rules there is no excuse for us not to obey them'

Rules are made because authorities want us to obey them so we should respect their wishes.

So if they tell you to stick your head in a bucket of water, you comply? Hitler made some pretty devastating rules, should they have been obeyed? I assume your comments are meant to be taken lightly?

5 hours ago, gamini said:

An international driving permit is not valid in the country you reside

Have no idea what the ell you on about when I first come here to Thailand I just had my UK DL and went about getting my Thai DL.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

So if they tell you to stick your head in a bucket of water, you comply? Hitler made some pretty devastating rules, should they have been obeyed? I assume your comments are meant to be taken lightly?

I cannot quote on rules that were made before I was born, but rules made by governments and immigration and everything else are made to be obeyed, and it is up to the people to obey them.

I just got a new UK IDP at the main post office in Swansea. There's been a few changes, as mentioned already it can now only be obtained at one of the specific post offices allowed to issue them. There's no need to fill in an application form any more, just take your photocard licence and a new passport photo and they'll do everything else for you at the counter. Cost is still £5.50. The new IDP also has a different look, there's no mention of the AA any more, it's now an official Department for Transport document. The vehicle validity stamps are the same, no AA rubber stamp, they use a Department for Transport stamp now. All painless and simple as long as you're able to visit the UK and have a valid UK licence. Of course, if you're out of the country for more than 6 months you're supposed to hand in your UK licence until you return to live there again, but I doubt if many people do that.

15 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I cannot quote on rules that were made before I was born, but rules made by governments and immigration and everything else are made to be obeyed, and it is up to the people to obey them.

Baa Baa

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:23 PM, Dumbastheycome said:

If you have a UK license check out  if  a Thai  conversion has the same  requirements as a "start from scratch " license. From what I have seen/read an IDP is only  valid in Thailand for  3 months despite  at place  and time of issue  being  valid  for  1 year.

It does, every applicant has to do a colour blindness test.

19 hours ago, giddyup said:

Is there a rule somewhere that you have to put your head in a bucket of water and by that I, obviously, mean has a rule as daft as that been implemented, anywhere?  This isn't Hitler's Nazi Germany in the 1940s.

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

Is there a rule somewhere that you have to put your head in a bucket of water and by that I, obviously, mean has a rule as daft as that been implemented, anywhere?  This isn't Hitler's Nazi Germany in the 1940s.

It was posed as a question, thought that was obvious by the question mark. My point was that people will follow rules/order blindly, without questioning them.

• 1 month later...

Archived