Advice regarding a phone purchase urgently needed...

Sawasdee khrap, 

I've just visited a Telewiz show and looked at new phones. I do not want a subscription package and finally had two I was interested in with the same price, 6,490 baht.

1. An Oppo A 7 that doesn't seem a bad phone at all, choice # 2 is a Huawei Y 9, as far as I remember a 2019 model.

I've checked online and the Huawei seems to have a better processor, a quick charging option, a bigger screen, etc.

Here're the specs, but I'd love to hear it from people who know the facts because they've made certain experiences with these phones.

https://www.gadgetsnow.com/compare-mobile-phones/Huawei-Y9-2019-vs-OPPO-A7

Which one would you buy? And what are the reasons for? Huawei has a 4,000 mAh, the other one 4,250 mAh, would that be a huge difference? And the batteries are totally different. One has a Li-Polymer, the Huawei, the Oppo has a Li-Ion. What's the difference? 

Or would it make sense to go for a Samsung in this price range? Please advise me, I know quite a lot about computers and notebooks but phones are relatively new to me. Thanks a lot in advance.

7 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Cannot comment on the model Oppo you have listed, but have had OppoR9 for couple of years and have found it good value for money.

Thanks a lot! Oppo seems to be okay, wasn't there something regarding Huawei's future? 

There are many good ones on the market these days
I don’t have a phone currently
Remember to take your passport when you do eventually buy one.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

1 minute ago, Psimbo said:

Not sure why you want to spend that sort of cash- up to you though. Huawei smart phones can be bought for under B3k these days on Lazada. Mine does everything I need it to do.

I'm so sick and tired of my Samsung with less than 1 GB of memory, which has the fourth new battery in it now. It's got way too low memory, the battery's always empty in a short period of time and it's as fast as a drunken snail. 

Just now, KC 71 said:

There are many good ones on the market these days
I don’t have a phone currently
Remember to take your passport when you do eventually buy one.

Thank you!

Im only mentioning this because of the price. Lost my ageing redmi note 3 that always gave  problems from day 1 and decided to buy a back up phone while I looked for a new phone. Well Im blown away it does everything the redmi note did and just as fast. Its made in Thailand and has a 12 month warranty..no idea how they make a profit but there service center replied via lazada chat immediately and in English!

im sticking with it, very good specs! (for the money) and no bloatware (android 7)

https://www.lazada.co.th/-i268324226-s451889795.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1

3 minutes ago, madmen said:

very good specs! and no bloatware

Does it have 2 physically separate SIM/SDcard  sockets  or one of those "hybrid"  rubbish SIM sockets  which either takes 1 SIM and  1  SDcard or 2 SIMS and no SD card ?

Also 1GB of RAM is a bit low..

11 minutes ago, johng said:

Does it have 2 physically separate SIM/SDcard  sockets  or one of those "hybrid"  rubbish SIM sockets  which either takes 1 SIM and  1  SDcard or 2 SIMS and no SD card ?

I don't remember but they are available via lazada chat .  I only use the phone for google search and browsing forums and netflix if Im on the rd and its very smooth. Ram seems plenty good just for the above 

Check out the Samsung A7... I just bought one... What sold me was the triple/wide angle camera and the great oled screen Android Pie (9) and no FUGLY screen notch .. I picked one up at a small local shop (via Facebook Marketplace) for 5,900 baht

1E9EF0CB-D23D-4024-B50A-65A1FF9C7DAB.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Thanks a lot! Oppo seems to be okay, wasn't there something regarding Huawei's future? 

Yes I believe they are part of the US trade sanctions, and being denied access to some Apps by US governemtn

My Oppo has duel SIM easy as to switch between them 

I've just bought the Y9 today as a birthday present for someone.

It was between that and the Galaxy A30.  The Oppo didn't factor in for me.  The Y9 won hands down.  Huawei are making some absolutely brilliant phones these days.  I've had the P20 Pro and now got the P30 Pro.  The Y9 looks really well built as well - and its got a really fast processor.  

1 hour ago, johng said:

It's got 4 GB of RAM which should be very fast with such a processor. 

I was in a large IT mall the other day, Samsung, Oppo, Vivo shops were all busy. Must have walked past the Huawei shop four times and not a single customer inside. I know they are saying current models are not affected but with all the problems they are having with the US I would play it safe and avoid for now. Oppo seems to be good value if you're not a Samsung fan. Try to avoid anything with less than 2GB RAM. Replacement phone batteries in Thailand never seem to last long, possibly fake but hard to know.

Can't really advise without knowing what you will do with it.  I just bought a new Huawei tablet M5 it has a sim and I use it as a phone with my Plaintronics Voyager 5200 ear piece.  Works great and I have a 9 inch tablet with me all the time with the best graphics available.  The tablet is only 11k.  

15 hours ago, kkerry said:

I was in a large IT mall the other day, Samsung, Oppo, Vivo shops were all busy. Must have walked past the Huawei shop four times and not a single customer inside. I know they are saying current models are not affected but with all the problems they are having with the US I would play it safe and avoid for now. Oppo seems to be good value if you're not a Samsung fan. Try to avoid anything with less than 2GB RAM. Replacement phone batteries in Thailand never seem to last long, possibly fake but hard to know.

Thanks, you're so right about the shit_y quality of copied batteries. I'm on my seventh battery in my Samsung now.

What a pain in the butt to find a decent battery these days.

I want to get one ,but if i get angry for 1 reason or another,i tend to smash it up !( i guess i need anger management ![emoji2])
I have got through 3 fans already like that
As i grow older ,i am learning to calm down
And [emoji1080] are the only ones who can teach me!
Must be the Gypsy in me [emoji846]

I finally ordered the Huawei via Lazada and was positively surprised. they delivered after two days and the phone is really a nice and fast one.

Great features, 4 GB of RAM and a 64 GB hard drive is pretty impressive. I just bought a 256 GB card for 500 baht via E-bay should space be not enough/ 

The local Telewiz shop sells the blank phone for 6,500 baht, from Lazada you'll get a cover, an extra film for 5,690 baht.

No restrictions on this phone so far, but that shouldn't be a problem, I've just installed NordVPN. 

Thanks for the posts!!! 

2 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

I just bought a 256 GB card for 500 baht via E-bay should space be not enough

Pop the card in to a computer and copy 200GB of data to it... just as a test... then see if you can open any files you copied on the card... never hurts to check...

12 hours ago, kkerry said:

Pop the card in to a computer and copy 200GB of data to it... just as a test... then see if you can open any files you copied on the card... never hurts to check...

I've copied 180 GB of different files on it. No problems. 

16 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

I finally ordered the Huawei via Lazada and was positively surprised. they delivered after two days and the phone is really a nice and fast one.

Great features, 4 GB of RAM and a 64 GB hard drive is pretty impressive. I just bought a 256 GB card for 500 baht via E-bay should space be not enough/ 

The local Telewiz shop sells the blank phone for 6,500 baht, from Lazada you'll get a cover, an extra film for 5,690 baht.

No restrictions on this phone so far, but that shouldn't be a problem, I've just installed NordVPN. 

Thanks for the posts!!! 

any problems installing apps from the google store, updates, etc?

if we say that current Huawei models including the Y9 will not be affected by the google restrictions to their apps and updates does that mean that only not yet issued models, Y10, and etc will see whatever restriction that may result from google?

I was wantin' to get me a Y9 too...but me 2 y.o. Y6 is still workin' fine so I ain't got no business gettin' a new phone...

Archived