Looking for recommendations for resorts

MartiniMan

Howdy expats! Well I have some family coming to visit and they will be bringing some family in their young 20s and they have got the idea of a thai resort sounds like a dream holiday and well when they heard their uncle lived here it was a done deal

I have never gone to a resort so can anyone give me some recommendations I just dont trust the online reviews on their sites because you get a lot of fake reviews hopefully some one here can point me in the right direction

The resort would be in or near Phuket patong or rawai area is good

Thanks very much in advance guys!!!

The little mermaid in Kata is great value
I stayed there for many months,and was friends with the owner Carlson
Not sure if he is still there,haven’t been back since 2004
Nice place,swimming pool as well,worth checking out [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

13 minutes ago, KC 71 said:

Nice place,swimming pool as well,worth checking out emoji106.png

Thanks very much!!! Im looking into this one my friend

1 hour ago, MartiniMan said:

In the fall and around $100 a night is ok but could go higher if it was worth it

Hotels offer low season prices until around mid-November, so they should be able to get a great four star or even a five star hotel for between $50-$100.

They should probably stay in Patong if they enjoy walking distance to lots of nightlife and a big selection of restaurants, with the occasional short drive to karon or kamala for beach swimming days. 

Look at the following good ones in Patong: Millennium Patong, Adaman Embrace, Indigo Hotel, Swisshotel Patong, Duangitt Hotel. 

If they want to be near to a good swimmable beach, but not too far from Patong nightlife, consider the Sunwing Hotel in Kamala, or Kamala Regent condo rental in Kamala, or the Movenpick Karon or Novotel Karon.

1 hour ago, KC 71 said:

Nice place,swimming pool as well,worth checking out emoji106.png

Closed a year ago! And was very run down!

OP, you'll probably find that, like you, most expats rarely go to resorts in Phuket as we live here!

Come before November 1st and you'll find bargain prices at many resorts. Look at the reviews on Booking.com rather than Tripadvisor; you can't post reviews unless you've stayed there. Personally I think they should decide where in Phuket they want to stay first.

Closed a year ago! And was very run down!

OP, you'll probably find that, like you, most expats rarely go to resorts in Phuket as we live here!

Come before November 1st and you'll find bargain prices at many resorts. Look at the reviews on Booking.com rather than Tripadvisor; you can't post reviews unless you've stayed there. Personally I think they should decide where in Phuket they want to stay first.

Patong is lame

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

40 minutes ago, KC 71 said:

If its closed why does booking .com still advertise it ?

The one on Booking.com is a different place. The original Little Mermaid, with a pool, changed its name to Kata Resort or something like that, and closed over a year ago. The one on Booking.com is a guesthouse in a different location; definitely not a resort!

little mermaid was never what i'd call a resort

Just look at agoda, plug in ur area and price range read the reviews.  As to place a comment u need to have stayed there, so MUCH better than TA> and you wont get 15 year out of date comments like from KC ????

Holiday inn and Merlin always are top rated

those of us that live here dont go to resorts as we know you never get what ur paying for..

Its empty now on the island, so great deals can be had

17 hours ago, champers said:

Try Khao Lak, an hours drive from Phuket airport. Many resorts to choose from there.

So your helpful advice is for them to go to another Province when their purpose for visiting is to meet up with a Phuket resident relative?

Why not tell them to go to Indonesia or French Polynesia? It would make as much sense.

To the OP - I haven't tried to make a recommendation because the details were vague.

Where exactly on the Island do they want to stay? There are scores of resorts all over Phuket (many more than Khao Lak).

How many people does the stated budget have to cover?  - "Some family bringing some family" doesn't help with recommendations.

Phuket has 3 seasons, none are described as "The Fall".  For non Americans, when are they planning to visit? It makes a difference to pricing.

When you know a little more detail, might I suggest you do some research online, there are many bargains to be had for bookings close to travel time, particularly outside "high" season. 

24 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

So your helpful advice is for them to go to another Province when their purpose for visiting is to meet up with a Phuket resident relative?

Why not tell them to go to Indonesia or French Polynesia? It would make as much sense.

To the OP - I haven't tried to make a recommendation because the details were vague.

Where exactly on the Island do they want to stay? There are scores of resorts all over Phuket (many more than Khao Lak).

How many people does the stated budget have to cover?  - "Some family bringing some family" doesn't help with recommendations.

Phuket has 3 seasons, none are described as "The Fall".  For non Americans, when are they planning to visit? It makes a difference to pricing.

When you know a little more detail, might I suggest you do some research online, there are many bargains to be had for bookings close to travel time, particularly outside "high" season. 

Khao Lak is only one hour from Phuket airport in a taxi. There are places on Phuket that take longer to get to. Who are you to judge if my suggestion is helpful or not? The OP can make his own mind up, I am sure. 

You haven't even suggested anywhere; now that is useless.

19 minutes ago, champers said:

Khao Lak is only one hour from Phuket airport in a taxi. There are places on Phuket that take longer to get to. Who are you to judge if my suggestion is helpful or not? The OP can make his own mind up, I am sure. 

Geography is obviously not your strong point.

The OP asked for recommendations in the south of Phuket, you suggested the family travel for an hour by taxi, north into another Province, starting from the top end of the Island.  (Travel time for that journey is actually closer to an hour and a half)

How long would it take to travel from Khao Lak to the south of Phuket for a meet with the relative, and how much would the taxi(s) cost?

Thanks guys! Sorry to cause any confusion

Its Phuket we staying just looking for good resorts and there is plenty of good ideas here cheers

To some of the pedantic fellows in here you need to get out more! Fall = Autumn that means that time in the US out here - come on this isn't hard to figure out...

I got some people coming and as far I know 1 person or 10 is same price so just wanted resort and take it from there does it matter how many are coming? Seems like this is irrelevent to be fair there buddy

Thanks again expats

Another question but tell me if I should start separate thread would be about good places to get a yacht or charter? Thanks again!

4 hours ago, MartiniMan said:

Its Phuket we staying just looking for good resorts and there is plenty of good ideas here cheers

To some of the pedantic fellows in here you need to get out more! Fall = Autumn that means that time in the US out here - come on this isn't hard to figure out...

I got some people coming and as far I know 1 person or 10 is same price so just wanted resort and take it from there does it matter how many are coming? Seems like this is irrelevent to be fair there buddy

Thanks again expats

Another question but tell me if I should start separate thread would be about good places to get a yacht or charter? Thanks again!

https://sailescapesyachtcharter.com/ everything from join in tours to luxury yachts.

7 hours ago, MartiniMan said:

Thanks again expats

Sorry Buddy, perhaps you need to get out more.

Phuket is a Province, and if you are looking for recommendations it would be helpful to be more specific on which town or region in the Province you are going to. On a different scale, but It's a bit like asking for recommendations for a resort in California without being a little more specific about where you are actually staying.

Fall - No such season here in the tropics, only wet and dry with a hot period between. Your "Fall" covers about 3 months over a period where hotel prices can vary here. They are not static.

To be fair, Buddy, hotel costs are not the same for 10 people as for 1, unless the $100 figure you quoted was for each person.

6 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Phuket is a Province, and if you are looking for recommendations it would be helpful to be more specific on which town or region in the Province you are going to. On a different scale, but It's a bit like asking for recommendations for a resort in California without being a little more specific about where you are actually staying.

Fall - No such season here in the tropics, only wet and dry with a hot period between. Your "Fall" covers about 3 months over a period where hotel prices can vary here. They are not static.

To be fair, Buddy, hotel costs are not the same for 10 people as for 1, unless the $100 figure you quoted was for each person.

From the OP: " the resort would be in or near Phuket patong or rawai area is good ".

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

From the OP: " the resort would be in or near Phuket patong or rawai area is good ".

From his more recent post of which I was quoting:

"Its Phuket we staying just looking for good resorts and there is plenty of good ideas here cheers" 

23 hours ago, champers said:

BS:

1. 75 ++minutes min phuket airport to the middle of Khao Lak, from airport u can get anywhere on phuket island in an 1 hour, (except rush hour)

2. why on earth would he want to drive to khao lak when he is meeting people in Phuket

3. Many more resorts/hotels/gh's on Phuket island than at Khao lak

4. it will cost him over 1,500-2,000 baht for taxi, yet be less than 1,000 for anywhere on Phuket island

5. If his friends are staying in Patong it would take around 2 1/4 hours+ to reach there from Khao Lak

GET REAL

To the OP;
we dont have a fall or spring

we have;

hot (April- june)

rainy ( june- Nov)

dry- High ( end nov- April)

season.

7 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

BS:

1. 75 ++minutes min phuket airport to the middle of Khao Lak, from airport u can get anywhere on phuket island in an 1 hour, (except rush hour)

2. why on earth would he want to drive to khao lak when he is meeting people in Phuket

3. Many more resorts/hotels/gh's on Phuket island than at Khao lak

4. it will cost him over 1,500-2,000 baht for taxi, yet be less than 1,000 for anywhere on Phuket island

5. If his friends are staying in Patong it would take around 2 1/4 hours+ to reach there from Khao Lak

GET REAL

To the OP;
we dont have a fall or spring

we have;

hot (April- june)

rainy ( june- Nov)

dry- High ( end nov- April)

season.

Do you feel better now you've had your morning rant? I just have a coffee when I get so wound up. I hope your day improves.

On 6/18/2019 at 12:18 AM, Old Croc said:

Dude come on get a grip of yourself! What on earth how do you function...?

On 6/18/2019 at 9:41 AM, champers said:

Do you feel better now you've had your morning rant? I just have a coffee when I get so wound up. I hope your day improves.

Hilarious I love the characters I found here look forward to meeting at the bars - what nationality gets this riled up over just asking about resorts in phuket?? its insanely anti social and just hilarious how you think its normal conversation guys you sound like a bunch of crazies

Archived