Korat: Impoverished schoolboy asks for leave to take care of four younger kids

webfact

Impoverished schoolboy asks for leave to take care of four younger kids

By Prasit Tangprasert 
The Nation

c78ca52ecf215be6d969611df6b859f4-sld.jpe

A 12-year-old schoolboy has asked for a one-year leave from classes to take care of four younger children at home in Tambon Chum Phuang of Nakhon Ratchasima’s Chum Phuang district.

The Prathom 6 pupil – identified only by his nickname “Arm” –told his teacher last week that he needed the time off from school to take care of his three-month-old half sister with a cleft lip and two other siblings aged 1 and 6 – each of whom were born from a different father – as well as his maternal grandparents’ five-year-old son while the grandparents were working.

“I feel sympathy for the boy but I don’t know what to do. If we don’t work, there is no money to cover the household expenses -–which are at least Bt200 a day,” Arm's 44-year-old grandmother, identified only by her nickname “Daeng”, said. Daeng and her husband work as scavengers to earn money to cover the household’s daily expenses.

86d38ddbeda9b7c7461111cd7d1edbc2-sld.jpe

Daeng previously had four children whose father had long passed away, and so she had raised them on her own in a makeshift hut at the municipal dumpsite until her three children were grown and moved away. After being told to vacate the dumpsite, Daeng met her new and current husband, whose son allowed them to build a house to live on his land. Daeng’s 26-year-old daughter left Arm and three children under Daeng’s care when the daughter broke up with her husband and moved away to find work in Muang Nakhon Ratchasima.

Arm’s unusual request prompted his two Ban Mai Patiroop School teachers to visit his home, where they learned about the impoverished living conditions and reported this to school director Wattana Khankhaeng, who in turn reported it to Primary Education Area Office director Peerapong Surasen. That resulted in a visit by officials and an initial donation of rice, dry food, clothes and some money.

Peerapong said Arm needed to complete the compulsory education at Mathayom 3, and had asked the boy to continue studying and take days off as necessary. The boy could take home assignments for the lessons he missed, while his class teacher would check in on him regularly to make sure he catches up with peers, he said.

“I'm proud and happy to be able to take care of my brothers and sisters and lessen my grandparents’ burdens despite some tiredness and lack of my own playtime,” said the schoolboy, who also asked that kind-hearted people donate milk powder, baby clothes and diapers for his two younger siblings.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30370957

thenation_logo.jpg

1 hour ago, Mansell said:

Could somebody at ThaiVisa find out how we could donate food or money to help this family. It seems like a worthy cause, especially with this schoolboy taking on the load......poverty is a miserable master.

let's get a bank account number and see if we can raise 20,000 baht to help this poor family.

Come on Admin give us more details many on here are prepared to help, if we had the necessary info.

Myself and i am sure many other members will donate to help the poor boy.

Rooster Rooster where for art thou, you surely are the man to get the info.

21 hours ago, Matzzon said:

It seems like a very good boy, and able to make grown up decisions. However, It´s not his work. This is what GFM-pages should be for, instead of stupid tourists without insurance.

I am sure to help donate som cash for a maid, if they just give me a bank account. Then the boy can continue school and provide later.

Post it here and I will join you. Or info in a PM would be good. 

8 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Knowing how cash tends to get diverted, I would suggest there may be better/ other ways to help. 

I agree with you about cash sometimes getting diverted, but people here are prepared to help, just need somebody trustworthy to get the cash then use it for practical help, i.e. Nappies/ food/help to care for the young ones.

There was a case a couple of years ago in the north, similar situation, and the bank involved appointed employees to administer the cash, surely something similar could be done here.

12 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Knowing how cash tends to get diverted, I would suggest there may be better/ other ways to help. 

Tell us how Charlie. I see many willing members here. 

6 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I agree with you about cash sometimes getting diverted, but people here are prepared to help, just need somebody trustworthy to get the cash then use it for practical help, i.e. Nappies/ food/help to care for the young ones.

There was a case a couple of years ago in the north, similar situation, and the bank involved appointed employees to administer the cash, surely something similar could be done here.

I'm sure it could and indeed should be done that way as throwing cash at a 12 yr old spells trouble. I dont know how to go about this but perhaps ask "support" for a contact for the author of the article, or PM Webfact ? who may have more info ? or perhaps contact the Poo Yai baan for that area ?

Just suggestions

Just now, CharlieH said:

I'm sure it could and indeed should be done that way as throwing cash at a 12 yr old spells trouble. I dont know how to go about this but perhaps ask "support" for a contact for the author of the article who may have more info ? or perhaps contact the Poo Yai baan for that area ?

I have asked my wife to contact the school director, see if the school are prepared to set up something, if/ when i get more info i will post it here.

My wife herself being a school director might just help.

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

I have asked my wife to contact the school director, see if the school are prepared to set up something, if/ when i get more info i will post it here.

My wife herself being a school director might just help.

Colin, please be careful how you post info here, suggest contacting "support " for authorisation please.

We cannot have anything about "donating" to anyone as per forum rules.

22) Members are forbidden to ask for or accept donations, gifts or commissions from other members, any charities must contact support for approval before joining to be approved. https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/contact

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Colin, please be careful how you post info here, suggest contacting "support " for authorisation please.

We cannot have anything about "donating" to anyone as per forum rules.

22) Members are forbidden to ask for or accept donations, gifts or commissions from other members, any charities must contact support for approval before joining to be approved. https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/contact

Thanks for that, i was not aware if that requirement.

Not wishing to dump on you Thaivisa (Nation) but if you were really interested in this, it would be very easy for you to open a bank account in the boys name and administered to by yourselves to ensure money is properly managed and not going astray.

The boy could be given an debit card to collect money from a machine.

The account could receive no more than 1,000baht per week with a maximum single draw down of not more than 500baht twice weekly.

With proper consultation the amount could be raised in order to finance a sitter so the boy can continue with his daily school attendance.

This way the boy will be able to manage his finances as needed, and get educated.

Any extra donations received over and above the foreseeable needs of this family could be used to help other poor families who are sadly forgotten entirely by the uncaring Governments that have stood by and condoned the development of situations such as this.

You will not be setting a president but what you TV will be doing is sending a wake up call to the Government to get it’s act together.

I live in England but if you give out the details I will gladly send a donation to help the well being of this family.

So come on Thaivisa give it a go the corporate credibility alone will live with you forever.

On 6/13/2019 at 4:41 PM, colinneil said:

What a pathetic/ sad comment, my wife is a school director and drives an Isuzu pickup i bought.

For sure not. Yust google a little and you will find much much more. For sure not every school director is like this ... but there are much more as only one!!!

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/parents-file-complaint-school-director-alleged-school-lunch-cheat/

https://www.thephuketnews.com/school-director-accused-in-tea-money-scandal-62648.php

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=school+director+under&source=lnt&tbs=ctr:countryTH&cr=countryTH

Archived