waterproofing overflow drain ?

SlyouThai

Hi guys , i help a friend to renovate his villa. We are currently regrouting the pool and i decided to remove all the rocks inside the overflow drain and clean it all with high pressure water since it was very dirty. Now i see we have just concrete and i guess this should be waterproof since we will have ponding water in there.

Is it a must do ? and if so what kind of product is best there ? i used SIKA 501 liquid waterproof membrane for flat roof but they write that its not suitable for ponding water.

Thanks

20190610_170116.jpg

When you say pond what do you mean , the picture you show is an infinity pool where the pool water flows over into the open tank then goes back into the pool .it looks like sand wash around the sides and I presume it is sand wash at the bottom where your funny looking blue drain is . That blue plastic is not a proper drain and could effect your water flow back into the pool . I have similar to this in my pool design the difference is that I have used slatted decking as a cover to stop any green water I suggest you go to the local store and buy a waterproof sealer cost around 800 baht for 5 Ltd brush it on and refill I would suggest you place a chlorine block in the overflow once a week to keep it clear of any green water if the overflow is used all the time and the water is correctly balanced you should not have green water. I have a salt pool but when it rains I always sprinkle two handfuls of chlorine granules as a matter of precaution . You also need to place a proper drain cover  instead of that blue thing you have cost you about 500 baht  hope this helps .

On 6/13/2019 at 9:54 AM, crazykopite said:

When you say pond what do you mean , the picture you show is an infinity pool where the pool water flows over into the open tank then goes back into the pool .it looks like sand wash around the sides and I presume it is sand wash at the bottom where your funny looking blue drain is . That blue plastic is not a proper drain and could effect your water flow back into the pool . I have similar to this in my pool design the difference is that I have used slatted decking as a cover to stop any green water I suggest you go to the local store and buy a waterproof sealer cost around 800 baht for 5 Ltd brush it on and refill I would suggest you place a chlorine block in the overflow once a week to keep it clear of any green water if the overflow is used all the time and the water is correctly balanced you should not have green water. I have a salt pool but when it rains I always sprinkle two handfuls of chlorine granules as a matter of precaution . You also need to place a proper drain cover  instead of that blue thing you have cost you about 500 baht  hope this helps .

by ponding water i meant that when the pool overflow , and it does a lot of hours every day well there is water staying in the drain all the time. Its different than a roof with a slope where the rain doesnt stay there. On Sika 501 roof seal product they say its not suitable for ponding water.

I went ahead and bought this : lanko 227 waterproofing mortar. Hope it will do the job .

Screenshot_20190614-120025.jpg

Archived