Farang escapes serious punishment for anti-govt song, apologises, removes video

snoop1130

Farang's anti-govt song - "not actionable" but way left open for private prosecution

9pm2.jpg.c311d84a44988dedc88d3304c4c57948.jpg

As the Thai public and foreign community continued to share a viral song criticizing the country's government comes news about the possibility of a prosecution.

Channel 7 reported that contact with the legal affairs department of the National Council for Peace and Order and the Thai technology police had been made by reporters.

Both of these organisations suggested that the content of the song would not lead to official action.

But the way has been left open for someone to bring a private prosecution.

The Thai media said that the song had caused much laughter especially as the singer was a foreigner and one who spoke Thai very clearly in the song.

Channel 7 quoted Pol Gen Burin Thongpraphai of the NCPO's legal division that the song did not incite or cause division in society, things that could make it actionable.

The video was only made for clicks and likes he said. Though he left the way open for a possible private prosecution.

The RTP tech division agreed with this assessment that it was not actionable in an official capacity.  But they also said that a private prosecution could be brought.

The singer of the song Yan Marchal had posted on Facebook and YouTube and his like and share count was rapidly approaching 2 million this afternoon.

He has not responded to Thaivisa requests for comment though he said earlier that he was surprised at the big reaction to his song.

Source: https://news.ch7.com/detail/346422

Update - 19.38:

According to a post made on his Facebook page, Yan Marchal was visited by two policemen earlier today who requested he remove the video.

Yan agreed and apologised for posting the video.

He signed a document promising he would not share videos of that nature again.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-06-12

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

He has not responded to Thaivisa requests for comment though he said earlier that he was surprised at the big reaction to his song.

A man whose future may well include any number of surprises, for instance he may soon find himself on an unexpected journey abroad...

26 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

But the way has been left open for someone to bring a private prosecution.

And you can pretty much bet your last dollar that some "face" obsessed idiot will do precisely that, if for no other reason other than to grab some publicity themselves. Very sad that people can't take something meant in the spirit of fun to be accepted as such.

10 minutes ago, buanmeerugsaa said:

Thais are sadly incredibly insecure. If they feel they have lost face, even to a minuscule extent, they’ll push to have you gaoled. 

What makes you think most Thais don't actually agree with what he said?

40 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

And you can pretty much bet your last dollar that some "face" obsessed idiot will do precisely that, if for no other reason other than to grab some publicity themselves. Very sad that people can't take something meant in the spirit of fun to be accepted as such.

The powers that be in Thailand are prickly, and always have been. Going against that reality puts you at risk of a one way trip out - permanently.

Foreigners who publicly mess with the local politics are walking on thin ice,  regardless of what colour shirts they might be wearing, and even if they are making their point behind the smokescreen of a joke. 

54 minutes ago, firestar said:

What makes you think most Thais don't actually agree with what he said?

Many agree but it's different when a foreigner is the one saying it. 

I can call my wife a dumb hag, but no other man shall. 

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

No way around it, we have a bunch a dumb fluff bunny farangs here in the kingdom. I would suggest he looks out for open manhole covers because if there is one, this numbnut will fall in.

10 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Many agree but it's different when a foreigner is the one saying it. 

I can call my wife a dumb hag, but no other man shall. 

Sorry to go against the "Farangs are always the victims" grain but I would bet good money that if a Thai made this song he would be in a lot more trouble than just signing a piece of papaer...

6 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

No way around it, we have a bunch a dumb fluff bunny farangs here in the kingdom. I would suggest he looks out for open manhole covers because if there is one, this numbnut will fall in.

What is your problem exactly?

I just watched one of his videos. Quite amusing; 

Just now, JamJar said:

It is amusing .... but the government likely takes a dim view and this numbnut is essentially clueless to that fact so yes, He is a fluffbunny heading for an open manhole.

ooops .........  "Yan Marchal was visited by two policemen earlier today who requested he remove the video." well there you go ..............

What about this post do you not understand?

12 minutes ago, JamJar said:

I just watched one of his videos. Quite amusing; 

Who is this guy talking to? He's only got 130 subscribers. He's done loads of other anti-junta videos too. I think, no I am certain this guy is a fruit cake, the nutty kind. Also, has he been kicked in the head by a donkey? Maybe that's why he's a loon.

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

The nearest I can come up with in the other direction was when Smiley Culture came up with this and gave everyone a good laugh ????

45 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Who is this guy talking to? He's only got 130 subscribers. He's done loads of other anti-junta videos too. I think, no I am certain this guy is a fruit cake, the nutty kind. Also, has he been kicked in the head by a donkey? Maybe that's why he's a loon.

130 subscribers, but "a like and share count approaching 2 million". What makes you so bitter?

Some of his videos only have 11 views I I clicked on it so now its 12 views.

Another wannabe Youtuber who wants to go viral and earn money while wasting his life away in Thailand. 

Archived