Hi there, so I am a Vaper returning to BKK tomorrow...and I need to know....

Namaste all, coming back to Tland after years away... only I quit smoking months ago and can't live without my vape. So is it really true that Vaping is banned?!? Hard to believe, but it's all over the internet. Can someone give me the truth? Can I bring in 2 small tubes of salts and a few small Jule-like devices? I know here in Nepal they could care less, but what about in BKK? Thanks so much... see you all soon! 

As I understand it... when there are reports that vaping is illegal what it really means is that as the Nicotine Liquid (the vape) has not been approved by the equivalent of the Thai FDA it is illegal to import. 

The Vape kit itself is just a 'heating device' and as I understand it, is not illegal. 

That said, try this argument with the Police if they want to try and charge you and it would be interesting to see what happens. 

Realistically, nothing will happen - I see people vaping without issue. Vape kit and liquids are apparently being sold on street stalls and via facebook outlets. 

Vaping is healthier, thus, if you must, Vape and take the limited risk of getting caught and having your kit confiscated, at the very worst having to pay a small fine. 

There are of course no deflates - but thats just the way I see it.

Theres some information here: https://vaping360.com/vape-news/77272/tourist-in-thailand-arrested-fined-jailed-and-deported-for-vaping/

Yes it's illegal ... yes people vape. TiT

45 minutes ago, StrandedBusinessPerson said:

Can I bring in 2 small tubes of salts and a few small Jule-like devices?

Depending how risk averse you are; batteries in carry on, everything else in checked in. If you can break the kit down best to do so (assuming you have more than a Jule).

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Vape kit itself is just a 'heating device' and as I understand it, is not illegal.

The kit is illegal, you get done for smuggling hence the hefty fines and potential jail.

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

at the very worst having to pay a small fine. 

Averaging out around the 15,000 Bht mark at the moment as I understand it.

Don't vape openly on the street, they go heavy after that atm. You are basically a running ATM for them.

That's why rooftop bars exists - they can't see you there ????

Getting controlled at the airport is really rare...you will have to pay a hefty fine if they catch you tho.

Nonsense. The "law" in Thailand us whatever Somchai with a badge says it is.

10 years Thai jail. https://thethaiger.com/news/vaping-could-get-you-ten-years-in-a-thai-prison-2

Stay in your country if you need to vape at best you are a walking ATM.

Thx for all of your replies! So, understood. I am so familiar with the culture, and I understand that my skin color makes me a walking ATM... okay with that, but this law sounds really nuts... I was a chain smoker for 20 years, now I'm 62 and finally quit the habit last October. They will have to pry my Minifit vaporizer from my cold dead lungs. Interestingly enough, I used to live in BKK years ago... have not been back since 2015. I guess some things change, and some remain the same. Cheers.

6 hours ago, StrandedBusinessPerson said:

Thx for all of your replies! So, understood. I am so familiar with the culture, and I understand that my skin color makes me a walking ATM... okay with that, but this law sounds really nuts... I was a chain smoker for 20 years, now I'm 62 and finally quit the habit last October. They will have to pry my Minifit vaporizer from my cold dead lungs. Interestingly enough, I used to live in BKK years ago... have not been back since 2015. I guess some things change, and some remain the same. Cheers.

It is nuts. They are out of their mind atm. 

Keep in mind prostitution, tax evasion, driving without a helmet or license, speeding etc are also illegal things here - u know how that's handled. 

15 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:
17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

at the very worst having to pay a small fine. 

Absolute BS information

Thats as I understand it from reading about this issue over the past year. 

I also agree that just because something is in print, it doesn't mean its correct and I can't pull up a definite law covering the illegality of Vaping.

We know it's illegal and the illegality concerns the importing of the Non-FDA approved Vape liquid. What I have also read is that while there have been attempts to Ban the 'heating device' there are no grounds to do so in Thai law - the rest is just smoke mirrors, he says, she says, no one really knows.... and besides... its all irrelevant, it's down to what the policeman believes who's trying to fine you unless you are prepared to get lawyers involved. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I also agree that just because something is in print, it doesn't mean its correct and I can't pull up a definite law covering the illegality of Vaping.

We know it's illegal and the illegality concerns the importing of the Non-FDA approved Vape liquid. What I have also read is that while there have been attempts to Ban the 'heating device' there are no grounds to do so in Thai law - the rest is just smoke mirrors, he says, she says, no one really knows.... and besides... its all irrelevant, it's down to what the policeman believes who's trying to fine you unless you are prepared to get lawyers involved. 

Vaporisers (like e-cigarettes and e-baraku) and refills are illegal in Thailand. These items may be confiscated and you could be fined or sent to prison for up to 10 years if convicted. Their sale or supply is also banned and you could face a heavy fine or up to 5 years imprisonment if found guilty:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/local-laws-and-customs

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You misunderstand as I clarified above. Please stop spreading misinformation.

Archived