Jump to content
BANGKOK 26 June 2019 01:38

Recommended Posts

I have a non Imm O visa applied for and recieved here in Thailand 2018. It will be coming up for renewal in 5 months. I have been using “search” function, but not getting all the information I need. This is for the straight  renewal of an extension made for retirement in 2018 (not based on marriage). Trying to get my ducks in a row and hope someone could comment on my points ... thanks
 

A) The 800k does NOT need to be sent in from out of the country. Or a verified source, from outside Thailand.  I could use transfer wise, all I need is 800 K in the account for the proper seasoning time. (I would want a wire, or swift transfer from foreign bank only to help wire money OUT of Thailand when at some future date I want to close out the account/visa.)


B) seasoning time, only 2 months before the time I make my application for extension at IO. NOW I am doing my extension at Chiang Mai and according to expats they want it 3 months ahead of application time. Given the information so far I assume that this is the prudent course of action.


C) I have an account at Krungthai bank that I use for expenses (ATM transfer for Condo rent etc) do I just dump the money in there OR should I take out a 2nd account and have that for just my retirement money? I guess that is more an opinion questions


D) I need to have a letter written by my bank within 7 days of application stating balance. I need to have an updated account balance. Making a deposit or withdrawal on the day of application. That is to show an updated passbook (?) or do I need a print out of it too? Can I do this at ATM or is this a Bank Office operation?


E) No questions a regarding the keeping of 800K in account afterwards for a couple months or the 400 k balance after that.


Thanks in advance for any responses, just trying to get my head around it all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dcheech said:

A) The 800k does NOT need to be sent in from out of the country. Or a verified source, from outside Thailand.  I could use transfer wise, all I need is 800 K in the account for the proper seasoning time. (I would want a wire, or swift transfer from foreign bank only to help wire money OUT of Thailand when at some future date I want to close out the account/visa.)

No, it does not.

 

1 hour ago, Dcheech said:

B) seasoning time, only 2 months before the time I make my application for extension at IO. NOW I am doing my extension at Chiang Mai and according to expats they want it 3 months ahead of application time. Given the information so far I assume that this is the prudent course of action.

Agreed!

 

1 hour ago, Dcheech said:

C) I have an account at Krungthai bank that I use for expenses (ATM transfer for Condo rent etc) do I just dump the money in there OR should I take out a 2nd account and have that for just my retirement money? I guess that is more an opinion questions

Since your Krung Thai account appears to have a card linked to it, I would personally strongly advise you to open a second account which does NOT have any linked card, into which you can deposit the required 800k. If you use your existing account for this purpose, there is a very real danger than some ATM fraudster could skim it for an amount which would take the balance below 800k - which could then leave you in deep, deep doodah come the time to apply for your annual extension of stay. 

 

1 hour ago, Dcheech said:

D) I need to have a letter written by my bank within 7 days of application stating balance. I need to have an updated account balance. Making a deposit or withdrawal on the day of application. That is to show an updated passbook (?) or do I need a print out of it too? Can I do this at ATM or is this a Bank Office operation?

Have you specifically checked whether Chiang Mai are content with a bank letter which is as old as 7 days? Most offices require this to be dated no earlier than the day before - or, even in the case of my office (Rayong), on the day of the application. However, you may not need to perform any transaction on the day of your application if it is possible for you to stick your passbook into an ATM that day and get a further line printed out confirming the latest balance (as is possible in the case of Bangkok Bank accounts, for example). I suggest that you do a test update of the passbook of the account which you intend to use for the 800k deposit beforehand, to see whether this will be possible in your case.

Edited by OJAS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A non O visa has a 90 day "life". You need to clarify what you currently have. 

Your follow up questions with answers pretty much correct. At first I thought you had an O-A visa, but you state you obtained in Thailand. Unless you did a conversion... Visas are not issued in los.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

A non O visa has a 90 day "life". You need to clarify what you currently have. 

Your follow up questions with answers pretty much correct. At first I thought you had an O-A visa, but you state you obtained in Thailand. Unless you did a conversion... Visas are not issued in los.

DRJack - this is where things get so confusing and balled up around here. I thought I did NOT have a NON O A because that is obtained in my country of origin right ? 
 

OK I had a tourist visa - I then applied for and got - a Non O for 90 days here in Thailand. Then I extended that non o for a year, for reasons of "retirement".  Whatever that is  I have that. All done in Thailand.

 

Ojas. Thank you I will indeed get another account with no card though Krung Thai and in fact that is what I will do this month or early July, then have money sent in to that. 

 

 

Quote

Have you specifically checked whether Chiang Mai are content with a bank letter which is as old as 7 days

 

Thats the porblem with pulling up old posts with search function. Yes people have done it 7 days back, will that work for me, I assume it will but I will continue to look at all new information. Most people are making a transaction on the day of their application, however I have no clue if you HAVE TOO or not. This is from people using the CM IO  .

 

Thanks for your comments

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dcheech said:

OK I had a tourist visa - I then applied for and got - a Non O for 90 days here in Thailand. Then I extended that non o for a year, for reasons of "retirement".  Whatever that is  I have that. All done in Thailand.

Your non-o visa become invalid on the date it was stamped in your passport and you got the 90 day permit to stay from it.

You have been extending the 90 day permit to stay  you got from it not the visa itself.

 

For the 800k baht in the bank for 2 or 3 months before you apply I think by the time you apply it will be 2 months since immigration in CM has been giving people outdated info.

For the letter from the bank I suggest to be safe you get it the day before apply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ubonjoe said:

Your non-o visa become invalid on the date it was stamped in your passport and you got the 90 day permit to stay from it.

You have been extending the 90 day permit to stay  you got from it not the visa itself.

So I have been extending it - the 90 day permit, for a years time ?? See I just do not understand this. Whatever I have it is good until the end of November 2019. I'm getting money in account by August 1 because I want to apply for the new years extension,  say November 5. Yes CM should have the two month sorted by then BUT, it's my retirment so I am not taking any chances and putting it in for 3 months before I submit my new years extension documents

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be foolish to only have the money in for 2 month prior, already one report on here of an applicant being refused as the staff insisted it was still 3 months, he had to leave the country and get a new visa.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

It would be foolish to only have the money in for 2 month prior, already one report on here of an applicant being refused as the staff insisted it was still 3 months, he had to leave the country and get a new visa.

Have to draw a happy median. Put the money in there 2.5 months before you apply, and apply a month early, giving enough time to try again later, if maybe! :post-4641-1156694572:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like you have a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement. If you have already met the requirements for a 1 year extension of stay then it should be the same process this time except for the new seasoning requirements for the 800k and possibly the requirement of a TM30.

 

I don’t know about Chiang Mai but for Bangkok I have 1 Kasikorn bank account for both my 800k and my monthly expenses. I have an ATM card for that account.

 

Just get your bank letter same day or the day before. Why worry about a 7 day window? Your extension is important. Set aside the time to do it properly. Also, do this as early as possible. If you encounter a problem then you have time to fix it and return.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dcheech said:

So I have been extending it - the 90 day permit, for a years time ?? See I just do not understand this. Whatever I have it is good until the end of November 2019. I'm getting money in account by August 1 because I want to apply for the new years extension,  say November 5. Yes CM should have the two month sorted by then BUT, it's my retirment so I am not taking any chances and putting it in for 3 months before I submit my new years extension documents

You will be fine since you are doing everything ‘above board’ you shouldn’t need this forum at all.  The only thing is the ‘seasoning’ and ‘maintaining’ amounts of money which was introduced to stop the use of agents but remain in place in spite of being ineffective and can be used to disqualify honest applicants. 

 The best thing to do is open a separate account with Bt800,000 and leave it untouched.  Front-line IOs are not trusted so all manner of copies are required to convince higher levels that all is in order, these are inconvenient rather than disqualifying.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Dcheech said:

Ojas. Thank you I will indeed get another account with no card though Krung Thai and in fact that is what I will do this month or early July, then have money sent in to that. 

You may, however, wish to be aware that, according to a recent comment by @Tanoshi on another thread, passbook updates are only possible without a transaction being performed in the case of Bangkok Bank accounts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2019 at 6:14 AM, OJAS said:

You may, however, wish to be aware that, according to a recent comment by @Tanoshi on another thread, passbook updates are only possible without a transaction being performed in the case of Bangkok Bank accounts.

In the case of Krungsri (BAY), if you put a regular savings passbook into the passbook update machine but if there has not been a transaction made since the last update, the machine will not print anything and just spit the passbook back out. Note that a transaction doesn't have to be performed by you, like interest earned.

 

FYI, Krungsri has a savings account that offers a slightly better interest rate. I keep the B800,000 in there and don't have a ATM card for it. But it can't be updated by the machine, you need to go inside the branch and get an officer to do it. I think you will still have to make a small deposit or withdrawal to show an updated balance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...