4G for home internet? Is it possible?

Thomas J

I am living in Thailand however inside a housing sub division that does not have Fibre Optic Cable.  I have internet via VDSL and 3bb.  The speeds bounce all over sometimes too slow to get television reception.  I see advertisements which are as clear as mud on getting Mobile 4G home internet and what is advertised as speeds up to 128mbps.  Can anyone tell me if you can get home internet that is streamed to television and mobile devices.  If so, do you have a recommendation of a service? Lastly, with those packages are you limited to one device connection at a time or could you have 3 or 4 devices connected simultaneously? 

8 minutes ago, shady86 said:

I think VDSL is much more stable than 4G which fluctuates following bandwidth and no of users. You can tethering with your phone and see the speed.

Maybe but my VDSL fluctuates to at times less than 3 MBPS and it never crosses 20.  By contrast the 4G advertises speeds of up to 128.  I would settle for 15 consistently. 

Line connections are definitely more stable so you might want to check with isp why you are not getting advertised speed? Maybe because of international server? 4g mostly are capped and unlimited packages are expensive.

39 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Line connections are definitely more stable so you might want to check with isp why you are not getting advertised speed? Maybe because of international server? 4g mostly are capped and unlimited packages are expensive.

They have checked it numerous times.  We have a VPN so we have tried multiple servers.  Some 4G say they offer unlimited and that speeds are up to 128 MBPS.  That is why I posted in this forum to see if what is advertised is true and if they are or are not expensive. 

Forget about it. You aren't likely to get an unlimited data connection at the speeds that you describe.

DTAC offer 10 Mbps. Their LINE mobile brand offers up to 100 Mbps, but you'll need to see what speeds you can get at your particular location.

Yes, It's possible. If you're near a cell-tower, you can get good speeds.

I did it for about a year and got speeds between 30 and 50 Mbps.

Make sure you get a max-speed unlimited package. I used one from AIS for about 1200 Baht per month.

Also I bought a 4g modem/router connected directly to my computer, so I didn't have to use my phone for that.

USB tethering from your phone will give you the same speed.

The router will allow multiple devices as well (both via cable and wireless).

6 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

do you have the 3bb international package? or your browsing / tv is just local thai websites?

3BB International is a farce. You get nothing but an additional B200 on your bill.

15 hours ago, Thomas J said:

They have checked it numerous times.  We have a VPN so we have tried multiple servers.  Some 4G say they offer unlimited and that speeds are up to 128 MBPS.  That is why I posted in this forum to see if what is advertised is true and if they are or are not expensive. 

Your problem is the VPN. They all slow your connection down.

Try connecting without your VPN and see if you get better results.

9 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

3BB International is a farce. You get nothing but an additional B200 on your bill.

Your problem is the VPN. They all slow your connection down.

Try connecting without your VPN and see if you get better results.

how do you know its a farce?  I have the fastest vdsl 50mb and international package, my speedtest thru testmy.net report 52mb to singapore and 36mb to aust and US is similar. The username is xxxx@3bbinter so not same as other users

2 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

how do you know its a farce?  I have the fastest vdsl 50mb and international package, my speedtest thru testmy.net report 52mb to singapore and 36mb to aust and US is similar.

I had the Int package and never got the speed advertised. I kept complaining about it to 3BB.

They finally sent their head engineer to my home who told me that I'm throwing good money after bad and to cancel the INTL Package

He did some magic in  the 3BB box and I never had a speed problem since.

I just checked my speed to Singapore and it's 226.But I do have Fibre Optic.

3 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I had the Int package and never got the speed advertised. I kept complaining about it to 3BB.

They finally sent their head engineer to my home who told me that I'm throwing good money after bad and to cancel the INTL Package

He did some magic in  the 3BB box and I never had a speed problem since.

I just checked my speed to Singapore and it's 226.But I do have Fibre Optic.

Thanks for the explanation! Im in a condo no fiber for me :(. Your speeds are amazing, its getting harder to explain to my friends back home why I have twice their internet speed in a thirdworld country. Not that I think it is. lol

9 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

Thanks for the explanation! Im in a condo no fiber for me :(. Your speeds are amazing, its getting harder to explain to my friends back home why I have twice their internet speed in a thirdworld country. Not that I think it is. lol

Thailand is not a Third World country either by the historical or modern definition.

Google the definition and you might be surprised as was I.

9 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Thailand is not a Third World country either by the historical or modern definition.

Doesn't matter what Google claims. IMO, Thailand is a 3rd world country.

When a country does not supply clean water and electricity to everyone, it's 3rd world.

25 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

My friend's condo does not have fibre either. He called 3BB and they ran a fibre line to his unit. Give it a try.. nothing to lose.

10 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I couldn't agree with you more mate especially since living here.  Some of my friends back home remember those tv adds from years ago where you could sponsor a child for a dollar a day (Thailand was one), just sticks in their mind.  I try tell them how some Thais are really wealthy here and no they aren't riding buffalo and cart.

4 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

When a country does not supply clean water and electricity to everyone, it's 3rd world.

Thats a good point, the welfare here sucks too, its not like their not getting enough money now from different sources.

1 hour ago, hvdkerkh said:

Yes, It's possible. If you're near a cell-tower, you can get good speeds.

I did it for about a year and got speeds between 30 and 50 Mbps.

Make sure you get a max-speed unlimited package. I used one from AIS for about 1200 Baht per month.

Also I bought a 4g modem/router connected directly to my computer, so I didn't have to use my phone for that.

USB tethering from your phone will give you the same speed.

The router will allow multiple devices as well (both via cable and wireless).

I assume that package gave you cell phone service as well so you don't have to buy two packages one for your cell phone and one for your home internet? 

Mobile data (4G) is rarely a viable substitute for most consumer broadband services. Yes, it can be used in a pinch, as a back-up, as a supplement, even full-time for minimal usage requirements. The biggest issues are cost and bandwidth consumption. Even uncapped plans, where available, will probably have some sort of bandwidth management applied to overuse.

So yes, it is "possible". And where there are no other options, then yes, it's awesome.

I'd sort out the xDSL issue(s), and/or investigate Fiber options, even if you have to pay for a last mile install.

12 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

My friend's condo does not have fibre either. He called 3BB and they ran a fibre line to his unit. Give it a try.. nothing to lose.

I wonder how much he paid for the installation as most condos have fiber running to the building control box and then switches to VDSL by telephone copper line to each unit.

I'm not sure about never condos but the cost to pull fiber line to each unit will be high unless its done from the building construction stage as fiber cables are sensitive and cannot be bent.

Just now, mtls2005 said:

Mobile data (4G) is rarely a viable substitute for most consumer broadband services. Yes, it can be used in a pinch, as a back-up, as a supplement, even full-time for minimal usage requirements. The biggest issues are cost and bandwidth consumption. Even uncapped plans, where available, will probably have some sort of bandwidth management applied to overuse.

So yes, it is "possible". And where there are no other options, then yes, it's awesome.

I'd sort out the xDSL issue(s), and/or investigate Fiber options, even if you have to pay for a last mile install.

I have no idea what is going on the the VDSL.  When I first tested speeds I was getting between 10 MBPS and 25 MBPS.  Now I just tested and I am getting 3 MBPS.  3BB has been contacted and out to the site twice.  They say everything is fine.  We are going to try a different router first.  The Fiber Optic we had investigated by two sources.  AIS said it was not possible.  3BB said it would be $150 Baht per meter to install.  We probably have upwards of 100 meters to get to the house.  We have the house for sale so we hate spending the money for something we may only use for a short time. 

19 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Drinking the koolaid eh?  I bought a kit and tested my water.  It's fine.  My electricity never goes out for any length of time that would drain my UPS.  My INTERNET (3bb) is faster (500/500) than any of my children in the USA and I have 5G for my WiFI.  Maybe I live in a different Thailand than you.   

11 minutes ago, shady86 said:

I wonder how much he paid for the installation as most condos have fiber running to the building control box and then switches to VDSL by telephone copper line to each unit.

I'm not sure about never condos but the cost to pull fiber line to each unit will be high unless its done from the building construction stage as fiber cables are sensitive and cannot be bent.

He is in the penthouse and was charged B2500 to drop the cable. BTW his condo is about 20 years old.

26 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I am in the middle of 'the jungle' 30km from Phitsanulok. Have 3BB fibre direct to my router....220mb/s @ Bht 749 per month. But connect via Express VPN it is down to 50. Works perfectly, just watched Killing Eve 8 episodes one after another !

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Drinking the koolaid eh?  I bought a kit and tested my water.  It's fine.  My electricity never goes out for any length of time that would drain my UPS.  My INTERNET (3bb) is faster (500/500) than any of my children in the USA and I have 5G for my WiFI.  Maybe I live in a different Thailand than you.   

You just don't get it. There are villages that do not have public water or electricity like you and I do. 

Seems the Gov doesn't care and has done nothing about it.

So enjoy your KoolAid 

9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You have 5G?  From whom ?  and yes I am from the USA and can attest that the speeds here are both faster and cheaper than what is provided in the USA. 

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I am in the middle of 'the jungle' 30km from Phitsanulok. Have 3BB fibre direct to my router....220mb/s @ Bht 749 per month. But connect via Express VPN it is down to 50. Works perfectly, just watched Killing Eve 8 episodes one after another !

That's great. I have a Nvidia Shield and a SkyStream 2 Android box. My kids have some cheap box in their room as well.

There are times all 3 are connected and I never have a single issue.

I do not use a VPN. I don't see the value.

2 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

That's great. I have a Nvidia Shield and a SkyStream 2 Android box. My kids have some cheap box in their room as well.

There are times all 3 are connected and I never have a single issue.

I do not use a VPN. I don't see the value.

The value is that I can watch UK and USA terrestrial stations. And feel safer when doing my online banking.

3 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

You have 5G?  From whom ?  and yes I am from the USA and can attest that the speeds here are both faster and cheaper than what is provided in the USA. 

Not sure about that. My x wife has Google fibre 1000 x 1000 and pays about $35.

That's pretty fast and cheap.

Archived