4G for home internet? Is it possible?

Thomas J

16 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Drinking the koolaid eh?  I bought a kit and tested my water.  It's fine.  My electricity never goes out for any length of time that would drain my UPS.  My INTERNET (3bb) is faster (500/500) than any of my children in the USA and I have 5G for my WiFI.  Maybe I live in a different Thailand than you.   

You don't have 5G for WiFi. You don't have any idea of what you are writing. 5G has no correlation to the 5 GHz waveband used by your Wireless router.  5G is short for fifth generation cellular network. Nothing to do with the 5 GHz waveband.

I've had electricity go off at least once almost every time I am on when on holiday in Thailand. Not just for five minutes either.

Is everything properly earthed in every property that you have visited in Thailand.

You don't live in a different Thailand, you live on a different planet.

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

Thailand is not a Third World country either by the historical or modern definition.

Google the definition and you might be surprised as was I.

The definition of a third world country is one who exports natural resources like food or oil, imports finished products like cars and television sets and does so on borrowed money.  Guess What.  That is the USA. 

6 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

The definition of a third world country is one who exports natural resources like food or oil, imports finished products like cars and television sets and does so on borrowed money.  Guess What.  That is the USA. 

Actually the term 3rd world is out of date.  Terms such as “developing countries” and “low and lower-middle-income countries” are now often used in its place.

The op mentioned living in a 'sub-division'.    I live 18km outside Udon, in the jungle, and have fiber optic.  I thought Udon was one of the last places to expand the fiber optic network.  The government does seem to be making a concerted effort to get everyone connected.  If you haven't been to your TOT or 3BB office in the past 6 months, I'd visit.  The TOT office can look at any address and see if it's near their networks.

You might be surprised.

As for speeds.......once my internet reached youtube/netflix/streaming US channels on VPN, the speeds no longer make a difference to me.  For 690 Baht a month with TOT, my speeds are as good as I need them.  When the power goes off, I'm fortunate to live within 800m of the nearest cell tower and have a strong enough signal to do most anything I want on my mobile phone.  

Thailand may not yet be a developed country, but I marvel at some of the progress they've made over the 23 years we've been here.  

2 hours ago, BigT73 said:
2 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

3BB International is a farce. You get nothing but an additional B200 on your bill. //

how do you know its a farce?  I have the fastest vdsl 50mb and international package, my speedtest thru testmy.net report 52mb to singapore and 36mb to aust and US is similar. The username is xxxx@3bbinter so not same as other users

Hi. Sorry but I agree with BigT73. "International package" does not makes real difference on download speed. (May be useful for some specific Internet usage though ?? :ermm:)

I have the cheapest of the 50 Mbps VDSL packages by 3BB (so Not international package). I get over 50 Mbps as well inside Thailand than to servers I use in Singapore and in France. :thumbsup:

8333686447.png

8333693075.png

1 minute ago, Pattaya46 said:

Hi. Sorry but I agree with BigT73. "International package" does not makes real difference on download speed. (May be useful for some specific Internet usage though ?? :ermm:)

I have the cheapest of the 50 Mbps VDSL packages by 3BB (so Not international package). I get over 50 Mbps as well inside Thailand than to servers I use in Singapore and in France. :thumbsup:

8333686447.png

8333693075.png

I wish I had something even remotely close to that.  I can not envision why you are getting upwards of 50 and I am getting 3 

1 hour ago, Thomas J said:

I assume that package gave you cell phone service as well so you don't have to buy two packages one for your cell phone and one for your home internet? 

The prepaid sim in the router only had the 4G package.

In my phone I had another prepaid sim from DTAC with no package, but about 100 Bath for regular calls.

The 4G modem/router is super compact (usb-dongle) and in combination with a powerbank I could make a hotspot anywhere.

13 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

I wish I had something even remotely close to that.  I can not envision why you are getting upwards of 50 and I am getting 3 

If you are connecting to your router using wifi, it can be channel congestion, especially in a condo block. Everyone has there router set to the default channel and the spectrum is full. Switch to a free WiFi channel and it can make a world of difference 

24 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

If you are connecting to your router using wifi, it can be channel congestion, especially in a condo block. Everyone has there router set to the default channel and the spectrum is full. Switch to a free WiFi channel and it can make a world of difference 

I am a bit technical but you have lost me on this one.  My television is a smart TV.  I connect via wireless router.  Are you indicating that there is an alternative channel that the router setting that would help? 

3 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

I am a bit technical but you have lost me on this one.  My television is a smart TV.  I connect via wireless router.  Are you indicating that there is an alternative channel that the router setting that would help? 

Yes, your router has 14 channels it can send and receive on. The channels can get very congested in a condo block and the speeds can be really bad. In my condo block everyone has the same tot router and the default channel is 11, I get 5mbps if I use that channel, on an empty channel I get full speed.

Your router will have a webpage you can log into to change the channel. Or company will send a tech out

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, your router has 14 channels it can send and receive on. The channels can get very congested in a condo block and the speeds can be really bad. In my condo block everyone has the same tot router and the default channel is 11, I get 5mbps if I use that channel, on an empty channel I get full speed.

Your router will have a webpage you can log into to change the channel. Or company will send a tech out

Well the tech suggested the router might be bad and to swap it out.  When I do, I will have them set it to a different channel.  Thanks for the information.

2 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Well the tech suggested the router might be bad and to swap it out.  When I do, I will have them set it to a different channel.  Thanks for the information.

Can you test it via an ethernet cable ratehr than by WiFi?  It could be an issue with the channel selected for your WiFi but if it's still slow via an ethernet cable and without a VPN then I'd blame the ISP.

8 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

Can you test it via an ethernet cable ratehr than by WiFi?  It could be an issue with the channel selected for your WiFi but if it's still slow via an ethernet cable and without a VPN then I'd blame the ISP.

I have tested it via an ethernet cable and wireless.  No difference.  

5 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

You just don't get it. There are villages that do not have public water or electricity like you and I do. 

Seems the Gov doesn't care and has done nothing about it.

So enjoy your KoolAid 

There are places like that in most countries.  Most people who retire to Thailand would never live there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunger_in_the_United_States

I live in Thailand because I live much better here for much less than I would in America including health care.  

You don't seem to understand people retire here because it is better than living in a cold water flat in a slum in the West.  And if you want to talk about an uncaring government look at what America has now.  

I'm afraid it is you who don't get it.  This thread is about Internet speed and I said mine is faster then my kids in America which it is and my power never goes out.  Internet and electricity Thailand is certainly not 3rd world.  

If any poor Thai people want a job and what I have tell them to go to an industrial estate as opposed to sitting on the porch waiting for the next rice harvest.  

14 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

There are places like that in most countries.  Most people who retire to Thailand would never live there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunger_in_the_United_States

I live in Thailand because I live much better here for much less than I would in America including health care.  

You don't seem to understand people retire here because it is better than living in a cold water flat in a slum in the West.  And if you want to talk about an uncaring government look at what America has now.  

I'm afraid it is you who don't get it.  This thread is about Internet speed and I said mine is faster then my kids in America which it is and my power never goes out.  Internet and electricity Thailand is certainly not 3rd world.  

If any poor Thai people want a job and what I have tell them to go to an industrial estate as opposed to sitting on the porch waiting for the next rice harvest.  

As someone who has retired here from the USA, Thailand like most other countries has positives and negatives.  The government back in the USA can be as frustrating as working with government agencies here in Thailand.  I do think that more can be done to spruce up the appearance of Thailand.  If you go to Singapore you can eat off the streets while in Thailand a good share of the streets look like landfills.  The people here though are nice and friendly.  Some food products are inexpensive  but a huge number are far more expensive than in the USA.  Items like television, internet, cell phone service are noticeably less than the USA. Items like dairy products, beef, and yes wine are much more expensive.  I don't believe there is a "perfect" spot.  The USA has long been advertised as Nirvana but it too has its issues.  

I am using True 4G unlimited 4 Mbps prepaid sim 1 year. I share my internet over wifi and I and my girlfriend watches youtube at the same time and we use more than 1000 gb every month. The first year i paid 2500 baht for the sim. Later the price was reduced to 2000 baht and finally to 1100 baht for the 1 year sim. I am currently using the sim i bought for 1100 baht and it will expire in the end of this year. I am happy With the speed and everything Works fine. I am even able to do wifi calling trouch VPN with iphone to connect to my home countrys cellular mobile network and i can call and receive calls at the same price as if i was in that country. The wifi calling works perfekt every time. I would never ever think i want to have VDSL or fiber installed in my home. Soon there will be 5G and probably the prices of the True yearly internet sim will stay the same but with increased speed.

8 hours ago, Trollmann said:

I am using True 4G unlimited 4 Mbps prepaid sim 1 year. I share my internet over wifi and I and my girlfriend watches youtube at the same time and we use more than 1000 gb every month.

Cool. You're using your phone as a router? You're watching Youtube videos on your phones? Let me guess, 1080p?

The first year i paid 2500 baht for the sim.

Yes, this is the current MSRP, seems widely available for 1,790. Can be purchased now - maybe a good idea - think they can be registered as late as Feb. 2020?

I am happy With the speed and everything Works fine.

Well, there you go. This is all that matters.

I would never ever think i want to have VDSL or fiber installed in my home.

Meh. AIS Fiber, 200/100, 748/month; HOnestly I couldn't go back to 4 Mbps. That's like circa 2008 here?

Soon there will be 5G

Define "soon"? "Zero" chance of this happening soon.

2 hours ago, pieeyed said:

Supposedly I have 5G internet through True.

Pretty sure that is 5 GHz, which along with 2.4 GHz, are spectrum used for WiFi (WLAN). So the router they gave you supports both.

And not Fifth Generation mobile.

4 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Pretty sure that is 5 GHz, which along with 2.4 GHz, are spectrum used for WiFi (WLAN). So the router they gave you supports both.

And not Fifth Generation mobile.

That's a common misunderstanding.  PC Magazine in the US did a survey last year (before any 5G phones existed) and they found that something like 25 percent of people thought that they had 5G already.

In Thailand, it's hard to tell when 5G will arrive and what the specs will be.  AIS has run some tests on mmWave 5G in Bangkok but it seems likely that when 5G gets rolled out that in most of the country it would be sub-6GHz 5G.

16 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

That's a common misunderstanding.  PC Magazine in the US did a survey last year (before any 5G phones existed) and they found that something like 25 percent of people thought that they had 5G already.

In Thailand, it's hard to tell when 5G will arrive and what the specs will be.  AIS has run some tests on mmWave 5G in Bangkok but it seems likely that when 5G gets rolled out that in most of the country it would be sub-6GHz 5G.

It's interesting you should write that, as I too have found that every person who insisted they had 5G was from the USA. 

So what you write correlates with my experience.

1 hour ago, JamJar said:

It's interesting you should write that, as I too have found that every person who insisted they had 5G was from the USA. 

It might be because while people worldwide mistake 5GHz Wifi with 5G, in the US there’s the additional factor that AT&T deceptively markets its fastest 4G as being “5G Evolution”. 

However the most spectacular confusion over 5G seems to come from England.  A particularly interesting example of that is in a place called Gateshead, which sounds like a place that a century ago would have been blaming all of its problems on witches.  Around a year ago there were reports of still births, nose bleeds, bees dying, and trees being cut down, so a local engineer claiming to have expertise in EMF stepped forward to accuse the Gateshead Town Council of secretly turning on 5G.  They hadn’t, but that case went far enough that a court ruled that he had the right to testify at Town Council meetings.  That guy has become a hero in anti-5G circles, and now that 5G really is available in parts of the UK (albeit on the 3.6GHz band rather than at mmWave frequencies) people in the “Stop 5G UK” facebook group have been reporting all sorts of ailments, some of them quite debilitating.

5 hours ago, JamJar said:

It could be due to At&T advertising 5G E. Which stands for 5G evolution.  It was intended to "fake" out customers that they had 5G.  

https://www.cnet.com/news/at-t-settles-5g-e-false-advertising-lawsuit-with-sprint/

Archived