BANGKOK 26 June 2019 01:02
Thomas J

4G for home internet? Is it possible?

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

You just don't get it. There are villages that do not have public water or electricity like you and I do. 

Seems the Gov doesn't care and has done nothing about it.

So enjoy your KoolAid 

There are places like that in most countries.  Most people who retire to Thailand would never live there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunger_in_the_United_States

I live in Thailand because I live much better here for much less than I would in America including health care.  

You don't seem to understand people retire here because it is better than living in a cold water flat in a slum in the West.  And if you want to talk about an uncaring government look at what America has now.  

I'm afraid it is you who don't get it.  This thread is about Internet speed and I said mine is faster then my kids in America which it is and my power never goes out.  Internet and electricity Thailand is certainly not 3rd world.  

If any poor Thai people want a job and what I have tell them to go to an industrial estate as opposed to sitting on the porch waiting for the next rice harvest.  

Edited by marcusarelus

14 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

There are places like that in most countries.  Most people who retire to Thailand would never live there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunger_in_the_United_States

I live in Thailand because I live much better here for much less than I would in America including health care.  

You don't seem to understand people retire here because it is better than living in a cold water flat in a slum in the West.  And if you want to talk about an uncaring government look at what America has now.  

I'm afraid it is you who don't get it.  This thread is about Internet speed and I said mine is faster then my kids in America which it is and my power never goes out.  Internet and electricity Thailand is certainly not 3rd world.  

If any poor Thai people want a job and what I have tell them to go to an industrial estate as opposed to sitting on the porch waiting for the next rice harvest.  

As someone who has retired here from the USA, Thailand like most other countries has positives and negatives.  The government back in the USA can be as frustrating as working with government agencies here in Thailand.  I do think that more can be done to spruce up the appearance of Thailand.  If you go to Singapore you can eat off the streets while in Thailand a good share of the streets look like landfills.  The people here though are nice and friendly.  Some food products are inexpensive  but a huge number are far more expensive than in the USA.  Items like television, internet, cell phone service are noticeably less than the USA. Items like dairy products, beef, and yes wine are much more expensive.  I don't believe there is a "perfect" spot.  The USA has long been advertised as Nirvana but it too has its issues.  

I am using True 4G unlimited 4 Mbps prepaid sim 1 year. I share my internet over wifi and I and my girlfriend watches youtube at the same time and we use more than 1000 gb every month. The first year i paid 2500 baht for the sim. Later the price was reduced to 2000 baht and finally to 1100 baht for the 1 year sim. I am currently using the sim i bought for 1100 baht and it will expire in the end of this year. I am happy With the speed and everything Works fine. I am even able to do wifi calling trouch VPN with iphone to connect to my home countrys cellular mobile network and i can call and receive calls at the same price as if i was in that country. The wifi calling works perfekt every time. I would never ever think i want to have VDSL or fiber installed in my home. Soon there will be 5G and probably the prices of the True yearly internet sim will stay the same but with increased speed.

8 hours ago, Trollmann said:

I am using True 4G unlimited 4 Mbps prepaid sim 1 year. I share my internet over wifi and I and my girlfriend watches youtube at the same time and we use more than 1000 gb every month.

Cool. You're using your phone as a router? You're watching Youtube videos on your phones? Let me guess, 1080p?

The first year i paid 2500 baht for the sim.

Yes, this is the current MSRP, seems widely available for 1,790. Can be purchased now - maybe a good idea - think they can be registered as late as Feb. 2020?

I am happy With the speed and everything Works fine.

Well, there you go. This is all that matters.

I would never ever think i want to have VDSL or fiber installed in my home.

Meh. AIS Fiber, 200/100, 748/month; HOnestly I couldn't go back to 4 Mbps. That's like circa 2008 here?

Soon there will be 5G

Define "soon"? "Zero" chance of this happening soon.

Supposedly I have 5G internet through True.

2 hours ago, pieeyed said:

Supposedly I have 5G internet through True.

Pretty sure that is 5 GHz, which along with 2.4 GHz, are spectrum used for WiFi (WLAN). So the router they gave you supports both.

And not Fifth Generation mobile.

4 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Pretty sure that is 5 GHz, which along with 2.4 GHz, are spectrum used for WiFi (WLAN). So the router they gave you supports both.

And not Fifth Generation mobile.

That's a common misunderstanding.  PC Magazine in the US did a survey last year (before any 5G phones existed) and they found that something like 25 percent of people thought that they had 5G already.

In Thailand, it's hard to tell when 5G will arrive and what the specs will be.  AIS has run some tests on mmWave 5G in Bangkok but it seems likely that when 5G gets rolled out that in most of the country it would be sub-6GHz 5G.

16 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

That's a common misunderstanding.  PC Magazine in the US did a survey last year (before any 5G phones existed) and they found that something like 25 percent of people thought that they had 5G already.

In Thailand, it's hard to tell when 5G will arrive and what the specs will be.  AIS has run some tests on mmWave 5G in Bangkok but it seems likely that when 5G gets rolled out that in most of the country it would be sub-6GHz 5G.

It's interesting you should write that, as I too have found that every person who insisted they had 5G was from the USA. 

So what you write correlates with my experience.

1 hour ago, JamJar said:

It's interesting you should write that, as I too have found that every person who insisted they had 5G was from the USA. 

It might be because while people worldwide mistake 5GHz Wifi with 5G, in the US there’s the additional factor that AT&T deceptively markets its fastest 4G as being “5G Evolution”. 

However the most spectacular confusion over 5G seems to come from England.  A particularly interesting example of that is in a place called Gateshead, which sounds like a place that a century ago would have been blaming all of its problems on witches.  Around a year ago there were reports of still births, nose bleeds, bees dying, and trees being cut down, so a local engineer claiming to have expertise in EMF stepped forward to accuse the Gateshead Town Council of secretly turning on 5G.  They hadn’t, but that case went far enough that a court ruled that he had the right to testify at Town Council meetings.  That guy has become a hero in anti-5G circles, and now that 5G really is available in parts of the UK (albeit on the 3.6GHz band rather than at mmWave frequencies) people in the “Stop 5G UK” facebook group have been reporting all sorts of ailments, some of them quite debilitating.

5 hours ago, JamJar said:

It could be due to At&T advertising 5G E. Which stands for 5G evolution.  It was intended to "fake" out customers that they had 5G.  

https://www.cnet.com/news/at-t-settles-5g-e-false-advertising-lawsuit-with-sprint/