Thailand: Academic suggests prostitution laws need change to be in line with reality

webfact

Academic suggests prostitution laws need change to be in line with reality

girl-1149933_960_720.jpg

Law lecturer Akawat Laowonsiri said on Wednesday (June 12) at a seminar entitled “Review of the prevention and suppression of prostitution laws project”, held at Thammasat University’s Tha Prachan campus, that he is drafting new laws to introduce zoning for sex related activities under the authority of the Department of Local Administration.

He went on to explain that Thailand is obliged to protect the rights of sex workers and is a signatory to  international commitments like the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW). In addition, the Constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand (Interim), B.E. 2557 Amendment (No. 4), B.E. 2560 (2017) Section 40 guarantees the rights of a person to enjoy the liberty to engage in an occupation.

The researcher said that updating the laws will tackle the issue of the health and well-being of all the stakeholders in the sex industry. For example, a law to protect the rights of a wife whose husband has a sexually-transmitted disease is needed, in accordance with the principle of universal coverage. Sex workers should be free to refuse to provide a service and they should have the right to be fairly treated and paid in the workplace.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/academic-suggests-prostitution-laws-need-change-to-be-in-line-with-reality/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-06-13

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thailand has like million laws and decrees on it's books dating back to turn of the century, very few are relevant now days and even fewer are infoced, as for prostitution protection laws, there is no need for more laws, need for more enforcement and education of the people...

33 minutes ago, webfact said:

Academic suggests prostitution laws need change to be in line with reality

That must be today's oxymoron: 'laws' and 'reality'

When has the government here ever been interested in reality? All of them spout what they want the population to believe.

Then the relevant departments and their minions simply reiterate what their superiors want them to say, not the truth.

Same as the recent police visit to Pattaya checking out prostitution and claiming there isn't any - saying what their superiors want to hear, in a face-saving exercise.

Thailand can have, make and change as many laws on prostitution as it wants, but if the police, army and assorted other uniformed agencies can descend upon Walking Street in Pattaya during a busy evening, and find no evidence of it (prostitution) then clearly they will never be, and are never intended to be, enforced.

Wouldn't the first change have to be to make prostitution legal? The constitutional amendment cited states that a person has the right to engage in an occupation, but surely that would have to be a legal occupation. Otherwise, I could say I have the right to sell yaba, because that's my occupation.

21 minutes ago, JAG said:

descend upon Walking Street in Pattaya during a busy evening, and find no evidence of it (prostitution)

My Gawd don't let this word get out and spread internationally. If it does, the biggest whore house in Thailand (aka Pattaya) will be out of business in a month.

But is it worth all the trouble as according to police there is very little prostitution in Thailand? Remember the recent police/army blitz that confirmed absolutely NO prostitution in Pattaya's Walking Street. Good news indeed for all the family tourists flocking there.

8 minutes ago, neeray said:

My Gawd don't let this word get out and spread internationally. If it does, the biggest whore house in Thailand (aka Pattaya) will be out of business in a month.

I firmly believe that there are just a lot of very friendly, horny girls in Pattaya, who happily accept monetary gifts. I am also a firm believer in unicorns.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

He went on to explain that Thailand is obliged to protect the rights of sex workers and is a signatory to  international commitments like the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women

How do you introduce a law for the protection of something that Thailand adamantly states does not exist?

As recently proven with a "walk through" of Walking street.

No evidence of prostitution was found!

They have an impressive ability to ignore all the shortcomings of their society. 

Any Thai raised in Thailand MUST be aware of the propensity to ignore laws and for enforcement to be haphazard. 

Yet, Thai authorities pretend to address problems by pretending they are in a developed, law abiding society. 

Funny

Get real. Thailand protects its long time money making institutions; and Prostitution is one of them. The Thai Army owns or controls the land where these establishments are located (there are for far far more serving the Thai's than Farang's); and collects revenue. The Touristy areas are controlled by the Police; and is one of their major sources of Revenue. I see absolutely "0" change with this.  

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

How do you introduce a law for the protection of something that Thailand adamantly states does not exist?

As recently proven with a "walk through" of Walking street.

No evidence of prostitution was found!

Well, in my home state of Oregon I believe I heard they passed a law putting bigfoot on endangered species status, making it illegal to shoot something that has yet to be proven to exist....

Look at other nations - netherlands has a museum in amsterdam for sex work and the industry as a whole including erotic media and toys is actually a working sector that pays tax so why prohibit something that is obviously good for mental wellbeing and produces money for the gov

Its really a no brainer look at zoning it like he said and then collect some tax and build some nice parks and high tech facilities for the education of our youth and put some money into some gov hospitals - why the hell not

I will never get why they do not embrace money they should look at successes like amsterdam, vegas london and new york if they want to get rich allow sex and allow gambling it would be for the best otherwise it happens behind doors and its exploited so they should regulate and allow card games and topless waitresses and lapdance areas - watch the numbers fly up and tax coffers fill from the tourists all that would need is legal dispensaries and i would be fully bullish thai stocks to be honest that would be one hell of a mixture herb an hoes with card games on the beach <deleted> yes it would sell out

someone enlighten me how they dont know what cowboy and nana is famous for ... im just a stupid american right? 

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Thailand has like million laws and decrees on it's books dating back to turn of the century, very few are relevant now days and even fewer are infoced, as for prostitution protection laws, there is no need for more laws, need for more enforcement and education of the people...

Where did you get your degree in Thai Law?

You believe the current laws applying to prostitution are fit for purpose??

Many countries have vague laws on prostitution and choose to turn blind eyes; enlightened countries like Germany and Netherlands legalize it; hypercritical neanderthals like Sweden and France criminalize it more and pretend they'll eliminate it!!

40 minutes ago, MartiniMan said:

Look at other nations - netherlands has a museum in amsterdam for sex work and the industry as a whole including erotic media and toys is actually a working sector that pays tax so why prohibit something that is obviously good for mental wellbeing and produces money for the gov

Its really a no brainer look at zoning it like he said and then collect some tax and build some nice parks and high tech facilities for the education of our youth and put some money into some gov hospitals - why the hell not

I will never get why they do not embrace money they should look at successes like amsterdam, vegas london and new york if they want to get rich allow sex and allow gambling it would be for the best otherwise it happens behind doors and its exploited so they should regulate and allow card games and topless waitresses and lapdance areas - watch the numbers fly up and tax coffers fill from the tourists all that would need is legal dispensaries and i would be fully bullish thai stocks to be honest that would be one hell of a mixture herb an hoes with card games on the beach <deleted> yes it would sell out

someone enlighten me how they dont know what cowboy and nana is famous for ... im just a stupid american right? 

Prostitution is not completely legal in London or anywhere else in the UK. 

Thailand should legalize prostitution like Germany very wisely did. This is the only real way to protect women from exploitation and abuse.

The main problem here is that by doing so, may government  officials will stop receiving their regular envelops as their protection will no longer be needed..

Prostitution is not completely legal in London or anywhere else in the UK. 
Paying for sex is not illegal in the UK, but soliciting, brothels, trafficking and underage prostitution is. Thailand is similar, with "promiscuous" prostitution illegal but no clear rules about what that is; and gogos and massage places licensed for the services they provide.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

education of the people...

....and here is the point:   even the teachers of primary schools are uneducated. No English. No knowledge what's going on outside Thailand. The way of teaching is outdated. The circle is self revolving. 

Prostitution has to remain technically illegal, otherwise the police might have to do some work. Example: say you have a woman to your room and later notice your watch is gone. If you try to report it you will be told you were doing something illegal and have no standing. So if it were legal they would have to be involved in the details all the time. They will never want to do that work. The way it is now they can deny it and let anarchy take its course, as it does on the highways.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Sex workers should be free to refuse to provide a service and they should have the right to be fairly treated and paid in the workplace.

Um? Isn't it all about the money? Who in there right mind would freely accept sex with a fat, old, overweight German? And what's the going rate for fairly paid? They obviously try for as much as they can get. As for fairly treated, what's the proper conduct for treating a whore? "Excuse me, may I ask the price of a <deleted> and S**K? Does one accept Euros?"

19 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Who in there right mind would freely accept sex with a fat, old, overweight German?

A woman who's planning ahead. She might hit the jackpot and get married to the old, fat and overweight gentleman who eventually will buy her a house, car etc. The older the better...

Archived