Thailand: Academic suggests prostitution laws need change to be in line with reality

webfact

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

All sounds like it's a non issue. :jap:

Capture.JPG

Doesn't that picture and caption just say it all? There is a huge gaping chasm between what the Powers That Be want to pretend (and do pretend) and what is actual Reality, known around the entire world.

This perceptual chasm borders on the schizoid. No, sorry: it is well within the territory of the schizoid and the sick!

13 hours ago, bluesofa said:

That must be today's oxymoron: 'laws' and 'reality'

When has the government here ever been interested in reality? All of them spout what they want the population to believe.

Then the relevant departments and their minions simply reiterate what their superiors want them to say, not the truth.

Same as the recent police visit to Pattaya checking out prostitution and claiming there isn't any - saying what their superiors want to hear, in a face-saving exercise.

I believe the police found no 'street walkers' hawking their wares on Walking Street. Otherwise, what goes on behind closed doors is nobody's business. I think some EU countries have a similiar outlook. Working girls are rounded up in police sweeps along the beach. That said, I am therefore puzzled as to why such things as a very private happy ending or, in some clubs, a bare breast brings them running.

When a girl from an Isaan village goes to Pattaya or Bangkok, the whole village knows she is selling her body. If she comes back with a farang who builds her a new house, she becomes a local hero, and the target of some jealousy.

Time to end the BS.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

When a girl from an Isaan village goes to Pattaya or Bangkok, the whole village knows she is selling her body. If she comes back with a farang who builds her a new house, she becomes a local hero, and the target of some jealousy.

Time to end the BS.

4 girls from my Thai family work in Chon Buri - all are married to Thai men they worked alongside, and never sold their bodies

I do not think I am rich enough to elevate my wife to local hero status, we have a modest home and my wife works the farm same as the other wives in the village

Being handsome with a nice smile might perhaps on occasion draw a flicker of jealousy nothing more

Guess my Isaan village is different ????

17 hours ago, ezzra said:

Thailand has like million laws and decrees on it's books dating back to turn of the century, very few are relevant now days and even fewer are infoced, as for prostitution protection laws, there is no need for more laws, need for more enforcement and education of the people...

Sounds like the UK 

21 hours ago, 473geo said:

4 girls from my Thai family work in Chon Buri - all are married to Thai men they worked alongside, and never sold their bodies

I do not think I am rich enough to elevate my wife to local hero status, we have a modest home and my wife works the farm same as the other wives in the village

Being handsome with a nice smile might perhaps on occasion draw a flicker of jealousy nothing more

Guess my Isaan village is different ????

You may be right. However, Chon Buri is not Pattaya or Bangkok. Close, but no cigar.

As far as prostitution goes, farangs are the main clientele for women from Isaan. Thai men prefer white skins.

On 6/13/2019 at 7:12 PM, Lacessit said:

Time to end the BS.

It's somewhat localized. First ones to go would become a recruiting mamasan and soon the whole village was in the game. Some had no such pioneers.

On 6/14/2019 at 5:24 PM, Lacessit said:

You may be right. However, Chon Buri is not Pattaya or Bangkok. Close, but no cigar.

As far as prostitution goes, farangs are the main clientele for women from Isaan. Thai men prefer white skins.

Farangs are 5% of clients of Prostitutes from Issan 95% are Asian.  

On 6/13/2019 at 12:12 PM, Lacessit said:

Time to end the BS.

When an ignorant wealthy foreigner that never experienced anything close to the difficult life of some poor families here opens his big phony hypocritical mouth just to show how morally superior he is...  

Learn the language and go live in some poor places before you suggest big changes.

Time to end this virtual signaling BS.

7 minutes ago, LongTang said:

When an ignorant wealthy foreigner that never experienced anything close to the difficult life of some poor families here opens his big phony hypocritical mouth just to show how morally superior he is...  

Learn the language and go live in some poor places before you suggest big changes.

Don't know quite what you are getting at in this post. Are you saying that some farang do not know what is going on?

10 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Don't know quite what you are getting at in this post. Are you saying that some farang do not know what is going on?

Well. there are two options i guess..

They know but still prefer to earn some virtual morality points.

They don't know as they never witnessed the life course of some poor families here.

Personally i want to believe its the latter.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I assume you have proof of this assertion somewhere.

Check with the lady who runs the Empower foundation, United nations ngo's or anyone who has been here a long time like me.  In 1968 the industry was well established and it was not for soldiers.  Or Thai Visa has many threads.  

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

Sex workers should be free to refuse to provide a service and they should have the right to be fairly treated and paid in the workplace.

Yes, what about the social security for prostitutes? 

Check Empower foundation for a model of what they propose.  

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

Check with the lady who runs the Empower foundation, United nations ngo's or anyone who has been here a long time like me.  In 1968 the industry was well established and it was not for soldiers.  Or Thai Visa has many threads.  

FACT from someone who knows- R&R in Thailand, "There was nothing that wasn't for sale or any act classed as being despicable in providing for R&R grunts fresh from  Vietnam along Petchaburi Road, their every concievable wish was catered for. During the R&R Days there were plenty of good cheap hotels and certainly no shortage of brothels. The kind where sometimes up to one hundred girls dressed in their evening gowns sit behind a soundproof glass window in plush surroundings watching TV, chatting with their mates, reading magazines and waiting for their number to be called ( The Nightspot, ABC Room, Bali Bar and Thai Heaven). A 24 hour prostitute would cost around 400 - 500 Baht $A20-25, with an option to extend. Beers cost around 20 baht or $A1.00 which was damned expensive! It provided about 7% of Thailands GDP. And still does!!!!

On 6/13/2019 at 6:12 AM, neeray said:

My Gawd don't let this word get out and spread internationally. If it does, the biggest whore house in Thailand (aka Pattaya) will be out of business in a month.

Will they be extending cover to include girls who ask for help with the taxi fare when arranging dates online?

23 minutes ago, porphyry said:

FACT from someone who knows- R&R in Thailand, "There was nothing that wasn't for sale or any act classed as being despicable in providing for R&R grunts fresh from  Vietnam along Petchaburi Road, their every concievable wish was catered for. During the R&R Days there were plenty of good cheap hotels and certainly no shortage of brothels. The kind where sometimes up to one hundred girls dressed in their evening gowns sit behind a soundproof glass window in plush surroundings watching TV, chatting with their mates, reading magazines and waiting for their number to be called ( The Nightspot, ABC Room, Bali Bar and Thai Heaven). A 24 hour prostitute would cost around 400 - 500 Baht $A20-25, with an option to extend. Beers cost around 20 baht or $A1.00 which was damned expensive! It provided about 7% of Thailands GDP. And still does!!!!

I was stationed in Thailand during the Vietnam war.  Beer and cigarettes and Whiskey were free on the military base.  You got a ration card and it was punched each month.  There is no R&R now.  Most prostitution in Thailand is for Thais and other Asian people.  Check the tourist numbers.  The GDP of Thailand from foreign exchange is beneficial but since most of the money for prostitution comes from Thai people it is just re-circulation.  I don't live in a tourist town and there are a couple of thousand prostitutes working a short drive from my office.  There are 30 ladies working around the Lotus mall and have all Thai customers.  

as long as there are customers there are prostitutes, as long as the wives of Thai perverts do not open their mouths there will be no changes in Thai prostitution. Without mentioning the Police interests in this business and probably more powerful elites 

29 minutes ago, zhounan said:

as long as there are customers there are prostitutes, as long as the wives of Thai perverts do not open their mouths there will be no changes in Thai prostitution. Without mentioning the Police interests in this business and probably more powerful elites 

This kind of rotten radical left thinking brought a lot of misery to poor eastern European women who were working to feed themselves and their families in rich western European countries (excluding Germany and the Netherlands that should be praised for that).

Its a TWO way street, Supply AND Demand, go learn history and see what happened in the US when they tried to ignore this formula, Everything went underground and the organized crime flourished.

If you really want to tackle this problem, then you have to deal with the elites to increase the wealth distribution , But since this is out of our reach, then we better keep our western ideals to ourselves before we just do more damage to the poor people here.

P.S:

Talking about wealth distribution.. this is from this week.

Don't forget that old people here get around 500-800 bath a month from the government, Only a brick head will not understand the implications of such poverty on family members..

4 hours ago, LongTang said:

This kind of rotten radical left thinking brought a lot of misery to poor eastern European women who were working to feed themselves and their families in rich western European countries (excluding Germany and the Netherlands that should be praised for that).

Its a TWO way street, Supply AND Demand, go learn history and see what happened in the US when they tried to ignore this formula, Everything went underground and the organized crime flourished.

If you really want to tackle this problem, then you have to deal with the elites to increase the wealth distribution , But since this is out of our reach, then we better keep our western ideals to ourselves before we just do more damage to the poor people here.

P.S:

Talking about wealth distribution.. this is from this week.

Don't forget that old people here get around 500-800 bath a month from the government, Only a brick head will not understand the implications of such poverty on family members..

1. I am the last person to say radical leftist, because founder of Julius Evola Foundation in Rome. 

2. Are poor family's girls work as waitress stupid?

3. If I bought with sacrifice a condo, WHY should I have hookers and perverts 24/7 under my door?

4. You don't know the social problems created by eastern women works in European countries.   

9 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

In 1968 the industry was well established and it was not for soldiers.

It was well established in 1698 too, to the fascination of early European merchants. It's always ridiculous when sexually squeamish Western cultures vent their moral opprobrium on ways of thinking they can't hope to understand. Unfortunately, the current moral outrage of the Thais that we're seeing in all sorts of spheres is a product of the west. 

10 hours ago, owl sees all said:
10 hours ago, LongTang said:

@LongTang is talking about virtue signalling (virtual would change the meaning somewhat):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtue_signalling

Archived