Thailand: Academic suggests prostitution laws need change to be in line with reality

webfact

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, zhounan said:

1. I am the last person to say radical leftist, because founder of Julius Evola Foundation in Rome. 

2. Are poor family's girls work as waitress stupid?

3. If I bought with sacrifice a condo, WHY should I have hookers and perverts 24/7 under my door?

4. You don't know the social problems created by eastern women works in European countries.   

2 -

First i never said that, Secondly Life is complex.

Some have children others don't, some simply don't have the looks, and other just don't want to work with men.

The choice is theirs to make and we should respect that.

3-

How about checking the area prior to buying the condo??

Also, why should the uncomfortable feelings of a wealthy farang should be of any concern to them? This is the reality here, if you don't like it you can always leave(a privilege that most locals do not have).

Calling everyone hookers and perverts is not the attitude that will lead to anything positive.

4-

The problems arose as the countries were too lazy to enforce their own anti-trafficking laws and failed to create a safe environment for these women to work at. (i assume they just saw everyone as hookers and perverts just like you said, so why bother..)

On 6/13/2019 at 12:13 PM, Baerboxer said:

Where did you get your degree in Thai Law?

You believe the current laws applying to prostitution are fit for purpose??

Many countries have vague laws on prostitution and choose to turn blind eyes; enlightened countries like Germany and Netherlands legalize it; hypercritical neanderthals like Sweden and France criminalize it more and pretend they'll eliminate it!!

There can't be more blind eyes anywhere than Thailand.

I think you mean hypocritical, but what laws would you suggest that would be fit for purpose here?

Prostitution should be legal here, and everywhere. As long as two consenting adults engage, that is all that should be required, as long as it is done with mutual respect. They are trying to make prostitution legal in New York right now. It will be the first state, in a puritanical nation, that is very, very confused about its sexuality. Hope it happens. I am sure the fake puritans are fighting it all the way. But, what do they know about life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?

Prostitution is just another occupation. Not a very good one, has it's time limits, approximately a decade to make your wealth, and can be fairly dangerous. I'd say on par with a 7-11 cashier. Entry level jobs.

On 6/16/2019 at 5:56 AM, lamyai3 said:

It was well established in 1698 too, to the fascination of early European merchants. It's always ridiculous when sexually squeamish Western cultures vent their moral opprobrium on ways of thinking they can't hope to understand. Unfortunately, the current moral outrage of the Thais that we're seeing in all sorts of spheres is a product of the west. 

But it's also driven by a strong Thai long-term behavioral trait of trying to make everything look beautiful and perfect and the desire to 'Look beautiful and perfect' is a strong desire. A different but still relevant example; Thai international is obsessed with how beautiful everything looks but totally (even unconsciously) ignores that the realities underneath are flawed / seriously flawed. 

Also true, many Thais hate that Thailand has a reputation for prostitution but privately they would quietly recognize prostitution is everywhere, all countries. 

I recall meeting a Thai lady from a wealthy background just after I came to Thailand to live she spoke perfect English and had several degrees (from abroad) in Sociology and Anthropology.

She liked to speak openly, she shared that as a teenage girl her mother and her grandmother had taught her well that when she married she would have to accept that her husband would have additional part-time women for sex, because 'men have special needs, one woman is not enough'. A quiet acceptance of prostitution. 

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

But it's also driven by a strong Thai long-term behavioral trait of trying to make everything look beautiful and perfect and the desire to 'Look beautiful and perfect' is a strong desire. A different but still relevant example; Thai international is obsessed with how beautiful everything looks but totally (even unconsciously) ignores that the realities underneath are flawed / seriously flawed. 

True. this applies to everything here from cosmetic surgery, to social behaviour and public morals, to shoddy infrastructure and building standards. They seem to believe that, contrary to the old western proverb, you really can judge a book by it's cover. 

Prostitution should be legal here, and everywhere. As long as two consenting adults engage, that is all that should be required, as long as it is done with mutual respect. They are trying to make prostitution legal in New York right now. It will be the first state, in a puritanical nation, that is very, very confused about its sexuality. Hope it happens. I am sure the fake puritans are fighting it all the way. But, what do they know about life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?
The act of paying someone for sexual services is not illegal itself in Thailand, if done so unpromiscuously. It's the acts surrounding prostitution that are illegal - soliciting, brothels, trafficking and underage providers. Prostitution is deeply ingrained in Thai culture and has been for centuries.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

33 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The act of paying someone for sexual services is not illegal itself in Thailand, if done so unpromiscuously. It's the acts surrounding prostitution that are illegal - soliciting, brothels, trafficking and underage providers. Prostitution is deeply ingrained in Thai culture and has been for centuries.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I get that. But, I would also estimate that the percentage of prostitution in Thailand that engages in trafficking and underage girls is rather low. Sure, it needs to be fought and the perpetrators need to be pursued. But, that is no reason to not legalize the profession. They are trying in the US. I sincerely hope they are able to do so in New York. It would sure be a shock to the American system, which is laden with fake puritanism, prudishness, and nonsensical prosecutions. I suspect some of that nonsense applies here too, especially with the hapless army. 

5 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Prostitution is just another occupation. Not a very good one, has it's time limits, approximately a decade to make your wealth, and can be fairly dangerous. I'd say on par with a 7-11 cashier. Entry level jobs.

Assuming you were not being sarcastic with the 7-11 comparison, I would say the cashier example is on par with a waitress job and not the mentioned profession.

Contrary to the 7-11 cashier that earns about 9000 bath a month(just renting a room is about 3-4k), has to stand on her feet all day(no chairs for cashiers) and work alternating nightshifs..

The bargirl\freelancer can make exponentially more money than that a month(enough to build her poor family and children a decent house after a few years and take care of all their medical and educational needs), can generally sit as she please, and if we are talking about a freelancer, than she is completely her own boss and can decide on her working schedule and customers without taking orders from anyone.

No wonder the oldest profession is flourishing here, And the Thai government have did wisely by not forcefully suppressing it.

Although if the "morally superior" west keeps nagging them about it, they might start doing so Just as to Save Face..

(as was apparent in the "there is no prostitution in walking street" saga)

its that whole reality thing that strikes me about that statement, suspect its a lie or that academic is not really a Thai person

reality is more shrine more talisman , more face, more bribery

reality ? 

you might need a real democracy 

1 hour ago, observer90210 said:

But what are these trouble makers  talking about ?  No prostitution have in Thailand !  Case close. :jap:

1 hour ago, manchega said:

its that whole reality thing that strikes me about that statement, suspect its a lie or that academic is not really a Thai person

reality is more shrine more talisman , more face, more bribery

reality ? 

you might need a real democracy 

As unfortunately real democracy and better wealth distribution are nowhere to bee seen, The more the West mocks Thailand's prostitution, The worse and more dangerous it will be for the poor women working at it. As they will simply be forced to work in hidden out of sight places..

Archived