About that mandatory health insurance

For now, few are concerned with the mandatory health insurance required for those seeking a non OA visa. 

But this could change if the requirement was extended to other types of visas and extensions, so better be prepared. 

The part in the requirement that many are questioning concerns the outpatient coverage, up to 40,000 baht. 

At first sight, this amount seems outrageous and unrealistic, yet there may be an explanation, which I found in my own insurance policy. 

This policy says that I have an outpatient coverage up to 1,500 baht, but... 

... but it is also said that this outpatient coverage can be used up to 30 times per year, thus reaching a total of 1,500 x 30 = 45,000 baht. 

There you have it! 

My policy's inpatient coverage is 450,000 baht, hence the ratio 1/10 outpatient/inpatient, which is the same as in the requirement for non OA visa (40,000/400,000). 

That is probably not a coincidence.

Of course, this deduction would need to be confirmed by people who have actually applied for a non OA visa, but I am quite sure this is the explanation for the 40,000 baht outpatient requirement. 

Having said all that, and for those who can't get an insurance because they are too old, the insurer I use, which is a wellknown international company, is accepting new customers aged up to 75 and keep on insuring its customers up until 90... PM if you want more information. 

That will be all for the good news today... 

Since I am one of those who think that everyone should have a proper health coverage my only concern is how they going to take into account existing contracts. I we end up having to buy one of their crappy contracts on top of what we already have we would have the proof that the only concern was to drum up business for the inferior Thai insurance system.

38 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

So this is an advert?

Undoubtably, with this sentence the give away:

"But this could change if the requirement was extended to other types of visas and extensions, so better be prepared."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pagallim said:

Undoubtably, with this sentence the give away:

"But this could change if the requirement was extended to other types of visas and extensions, so better be prepared."

It seems that some members read too many spy novels, leading them to search for hidden clues when there are none. 

The quoted sentence is just an aside, part of my introduction to the core issue which is about how to interpret the 40,000 baht requirement, yet it seems that no one among the early risers has read beyond the first paragraph... 

Edited by Brunolem

Advert or not, this issue of insurance should be taken seriously for those over 60 for whom insurance is expensive and/or unobtainable. There are only a limited number of plans that accept older new customers and the earlier you get in the better. The economic disconnect is that much of routine health care in Thailand, relatively speaking, is incredibly cheap. It is tempting to not want to buy insurance at all. 

• Like 1