Boris Johnson not ruling out parliament suspension to force no-deal Brexit - newspaper

webfact

Boris Johnson not ruling out parliament suspension to force no-deal Brexit - newspaper

2019-06-12T223230Z_1_LYNXNPEF5B2AK_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-LEADER-JOHNSON.JPG

Conservative Party leadership candidate Boris Johnson gestures as he talks during the launch of his campaign in London, Britain June 12, 2019. REUTERS/Henry Nicholls

(Reuters) - Boris Johnson, the front-runner in the race to succeed British Prime Minister Theresa May, has told pro-Brexit lawmakers he would leave open the possibility of suspending parliament to force through a no-deal exit from the European Union, The Times reported on Thursday.

At a private meeting last week, Johnson assured the European Research Group, a group of lawmakers who support a hard Brexit, that he would not explicitly rule out such a move, the newspaper said, citing an unnamed "senior Brexiteer."

(Reporting by Maria Ponnezhath in Bengaluru, Editing by Rosalba O'Brien)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-13

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, webfact said:

[Boris Johnson] ...has told pro-Brexit lawmakers he would leave open the possibility of suspending parliament to force through a no-deal exit from the European Union

Maybe not being a Brit, I don't understand the system.  Also, I can understand the importance of finally resolving this how-to-Brexit issue. 

Still, is not having a functioning Parliament an important part of being a democracy, especially when important issues must be addressed?  Should not the reps of all of the people be there?

Also, as I understand it, the new PM is being decided by a small minority of the total electorate.  Yes, the referendum chose to "leave."  However, they did not decide how that was to be done, which will have an important affect on the country.

I wonder how many "leave" voters would still vote "leave" if they knew, and were given some kind of clue during the campaign, how this would all work out.  Maybe not all would change their vote, but maybe enough in the close and final tally to change the result. 

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Another blow to sterling, hard to believe this guy is the front runner, says little for the other candidates.

Don't worry. I doubt he will get the votes when the time comes regardless of polls.

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Good he is talking sense that 600 plus men/women can thwart the referendum result as they are self serving and arrogant. After all they are supposedly meant to represent the people, not themselves.

I hope he moves onto the House of Lords next.

Suggesting suspending Parliament is ‘talking sense’.

But you are correct, Parliament is supposed to represent the people, all the people, not just those you agree with.

Zealotry and tribalism are taking root in Brexiteer thinking,  and boasted as a good thing.

1 minute ago, Thakkar said:

Ivan White (‪@ivanwhite48‬)

11/6/19, 02:00

My enduring image of Boris Johnson is when, for a photo opportunity while campaigning to be London mayor, he held out a £20 note to give to a female busker. Once the photo had been taken, he put the note back in his wallet. That's him in a nutshell - promise anything then renege.

It seems to me that our economy will be in a safe pair of hands, maybe he will show the EU the £39 billion for photo shoot then retrieve it after the shot.

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Can somebody explain to me what Johnson has to loose from taking whatever deal he has/or gets and placing it back to the electorate in a ‘this deal or Remain’ referendum?

I tried to explain to you before and it confused you. The only deal we have is Mays deal which nobody wants, so basicly we don't have a deal that is to anybodys liking, so by the terms of art 50 'if no deal is reached by a supposedly 2 year period, we leave by default' ie, a no deal. As I said before Juncker will not renegotiate, so we have no choice but to honour the outcome of the referendum and leave. So for you to suggest we put Mays deal and Remain on another referendum is a win win situation for the remainers, would I be correct in that conclusion?

6 minutes ago, vogie said:

I tried to explain to you before and it confused you. The only deal we have is Mays deal which nobody wants, so basicly we don't have a deal that is to anybodys liking, so by the terms of art 50 'if no deal is reached by a supposedly 2 year period, we leave by default' ie, a no deal. As I said before Juncker will not renegotiate, so we have no choice but to honour the outcome of the referendum and leave. So for you to suggest we put Mays deal and Remain on another referendum is a win win situation for the remainers, would I be correct in that conclusion?

That wasn’t the question I asked.

Let me put it another way.

The nation is deeply divided over Brexit, but nobody knows for sure if Remain or Leave are the majority.

If Johnson comes In, says this isn’t my mess but I’ve done my best, then let’s the electorate choose, he has naturally pleased the majority.

So what does he have to loose?

3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Good he is talking sense that 600 plus men/women can thwart the referendum result as they are self serving and arrogant. After all they are supposedly meant to represent the people, not themselves.

I hope he moves onto the House of Lords next.

I like ol' BJ but I'm far from convinced that he is right for the job or able to pull it off. I can see McVey heading in Farages direction although perhaps not until a GE; & others (Raab? Baker?) might follow suit.

All guesswork of course as I currently have no idea where this is going.

49 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

That wasn’t the question I asked.

Let me put it another way.

The nation is deeply divided over Brexit, but nobody knows for sure if Remain or Leave are the majority.

If Johnson comes In, says this isn’t my mess but I’ve done my best, then let’s the electorate choose, he has naturally pleased the majority.

So what does he have to loose?

But you are talking about what we don't know, if we talk about what we do know, we know that more people voted to leave the EU and that outcome should be respected and honoured, we are treading on very stony ground when we choose to ignore what people voted for.

But what is the electorate choosing............what you suggested is Mays deal (which nobody wants, either remainer or leaver) or remain. The choice doesn't seem a fair one to me, but there again I believe in following the result of the referendum, which is if a deal hasn't been reached, we leave.

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

But you are talking about what we don't know, if we talk about what we do know, we know that more people voted to leave the EU and that outcome should be respected and honoured, we are treading on very stony ground when we choose to ignore what people voted for.

But what is the electorate choosing............what you suggested is Mays deal (which nobody wants, either remainer or leaver) or remain. The choice doesn't seem a fair one to me, but there again I believe in following the result of the referendum, which is if a deal hasn't been reached, we leave.

Well you tried, I’ll give you that.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Boris Johnson, the front-runner in the race to succeed British Prime Minister Theresa May, has told pro-Brexit lawmakers he would leave open the possibility of suspending parliament to force through a no-deal exit from the European Union, The Times reported on Thursday.

The inner fascist emerges

1 hour ago, vogie said:

It seems to me that our economy will be in a safe pair of hands, maybe he will show the EU the £39 billion for photo shoot then retrieve it after the shot.

What exactly would that achieve?

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Whatever has Johnson got to lose, his job.

Thanks Vogie, for getting the right word...."lose"!!

We're not supposed to complain about spelling on here (and no doubt someone we all know will be "reporting" this opinion pdq), but in my view someone who can't spell correctly is more than likely to be unable to think correctly (especially on so complex an issue as parliamentary procedure).  It's all so confusing...

33 minutes ago, vogie said:

Great gratification. But fear not not, when Nigel Farage sets his stall out in the EU Parliament they will be paying us to leave.

Trolling as governance. Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

6 hours ago, Thailand said:

Another blow to sterling, hard to believe this guy is the front runner, says little for the other candidates.

Don't worry too much - he lies to everyone, tells each group what he thinks the want to hear but does whatever he fancies at the time. That's his track record.

Sad reflection on the standards of British politicians today that this moron is favorite to be next PM!

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

Don't worry too much - he lies to everyone, tells each group what he thinks the want to hear but does whatever he fancies at the time. That's his track record.

Sad reflection on the standards of British politicians today that this moron is favorite to be next PM!

Boris is nothing but a head fake to sucker the Brexit supporters then he will turn on them and kill it just watch...

38 minutes ago, blazes said:

Thanks Vogie, for getting the right word...."lose"!!

We're not supposed to complain about spelling on here (and no doubt someone we all know will be "reporting" this opinion pdq), but in my view someone who can't spell correctly is more than likely to be unable to think correctly (especially on so complex an issue as parliamentary procedure).  It's all so confusing...

That like saying someone with nice hand writing is more intelligent and capable of better thinking!

Your ideas are in-sync with Victorian era educational thinking. 

Just now, losworld said:

Boris is nothing but a head fake to sucker the Brexit supporters then he will turn on them and kill it just watch...

You may well be right! He will do what's best for Boris and his backers at the time. End of. He doesn't give two figs about anything else.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Honestly Vogie I’m impressed you at least tried, but my question wasn’t only to you.

You made a sterling effort, let’s see if anyone else wants to have a go.

What was the question again? 

Archived