BANGKOK 19 June 2019 15:59
webfact

Boris Johnson not ruling out parliament suspension to force no-deal Brexit - newspaper

Boris Johnson not ruling out parliament suspension to force no-deal Brexit - newspaper

2019-06-12T223230Z_1_LYNXNPEF5B2AK_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-LEADER-JOHNSON.JPG

Conservative Party leadership candidate Boris Johnson gestures as he talks during the launch of his campaign in London, Britain June 12, 2019. REUTERS/Henry Nicholls

(Reuters) - Boris Johnson, the front-runner in the race to succeed British Prime Minister Theresa May, has told pro-Brexit lawmakers he would leave open the possibility of suspending parliament to force through a no-deal exit from the European Union, The Times reported on Thursday.

At a private meeting last week, Johnson assured the European Research Group, a group of lawmakers who support a hard Brexit, that he would not explicitly rule out such a move, the newspaper said, citing an unnamed "senior Brexiteer."

(Reporting by Maria Ponnezhath in Bengaluru, Editing by Rosalba O'Brien)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-13

49 minutes ago, webfact said:

Boris Johnson, the front-runner in the race to succeed British Prime Minister Theresa May

Talk about out of the ashes and into the fire.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Another blow to sterling, hard to believe this guy is the front runner, says little for the other candidates.

Don't worry. I doubt he will get the votes when the time comes regardless of polls.

Can somebody explain to me what Johnson has to loose from taking whatever deal he has/or gets and placing it back to the electorate in a ‘this deal or Remain’ referendum?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, vogie said:

I tried to explain to you before and it confused you. The only deal we have is Mays deal which nobody wants, so basicly we don't have a deal that is to anybodys liking, so by the terms of art 50 'if no deal is reached by a supposedly 2 year period, we leave by default' ie, a no deal. As I said before Juncker will not renegotiate, so we have no choice but to honour the outcome of the referendum and leave. So for you to suggest we put Mays deal and Remain on another referendum is a win win situation for the remainers, would I be correct in that conclusion?

That wasn’t the question I asked.

Let me put it another way.

The nation is deeply divided over Brexit, but nobody knows for sure if Remain or Leave are the majority.

If Johnson comes In, says this isn’t my mess but I’ve done my best, then let’s the electorate choose, he has naturally pleased the majority.

So what does he have to loose?

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1