Trump leaves China tariff deadline open, calls relationship 'testy'

webfact

Trump leaves China tariff deadline open, calls relationship 'testy'

By Jeff Mason

2019-06-12T163520Z_1_LYNXNPEF5B1Q3_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRADE-CHINA-G20.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump and China's President Xi Jinping meet business leaders at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, China, November 9, 2017. REUTERS/Damir Sagolj/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump declined to set a deadline on Wednesday for levying tariffs on another $325 billion of Chinese goods and called the relationship with Beijing good but "testy" after China walked back commitments for a trade deal.

The president, who said he still plans to meet with Chinese President Xi Jinping later this month, has repeatedly threatened to escalate an already months-long trade war by putting tariffs on nearly all of the remaining Chinese imports that are not already affected by U.S. levies, which include products such as cell phones, computers and clothing.

Asked if he had a deadline for China to make progress towards a deal before facing the further penalty, Trump said no.

"I have no deadline," he told a news conference, gesturing to his head. "My deadline is what's up here. We'll figure out the deadline. Nobody can quite figure it out."

Trump has said previously that he would decide after the G20 meeting in Japan at the end of June whether to carry out his threat.

Washington has already imposed 25 percent tariffs on $250 billion of Chinese goods, ranging from semi-conductors to furniture, that are imported to the United States.

Trump reiterated his belief manufacturers were pulling out of China under pressure from the tariffs that the United States has already imposed, in a boon to U.S. manufacturing.

"I think that we'll end up making a deal with China. We have a very good relationship, although it's a little bit testy right now, as you would expect. I think they really have to make a deal."

Though Trump has said he plans to meet with Xi at the G20 summit in Japan, Beijing has not confirmed any planned talks.

Trade talks between the world's two largest economies fell apart in May. Trump administration officials said China had watered down commitments it made on issues such as stopping intellectual property theft.

"We thought we had a deal, and unfortunately they decided that they were going to change the deal, and they can't do that with me. But something's going to happen and I think it's going to be something very positive," Trump said.

The United States wants China to change its trade practices by not requiring U.S. companies to share their technology in order to do business there, curbing subsidies for Chinese state-owned enterprises and increasing access to Chinese markets.

(Additional reporting by Steve Holland, Timothy Ahmann; Editing by Cynthia Osterman)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-13

Japanese electronics company Ricoh is planning to shift production of its printers that are shipped to the U.S. market from China to existing facilities in Thailand, according to a May 16 report by Japanese media Nikkei.

Currently, Ricoh makes these U.S.-bound printers in both the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen and Rayong, a province in southern Thailand. According to Nikkei, the shift in production will take place as early as this summer. Once the shift is complete, the Thailand production site will produce all its printers that are destined for the U.S. market.

1 minute ago, Longcut said:

Japanese electronics company Ricoh is planning to shift production of its printers that are shipped to the U.S. market from China to existing facilities in Thailand, according to a May 16 report by Japanese media Nikkei.

Currently, Ricoh makes these U.S.-bound printers in both the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen and Rayong, a province in southern Thailand. According to Nikkei, the shift in production will take place as early as this summer. Once the shift is complete, the Thailand production site will produce all its printers that are destined for the U.S. market.

Every company in the world that manufactures in China and exports to the USA  is researching a move.

41 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Every company in the world that manufactures in China and exports to the USA  is researching a move.

That's great news for Thailand. But sooner or later, Trump will kick them in the balls too.

But hopefully he'll be gone before getting that chance.

1 minute ago, neeray said:

That's great news for Thailand. But sooner or later, Trump will kick them in the balls too.

Please give me advanced notice when you actually want an adult conversation. HK has riots now, China has been lying to the world bank, companies are fleeing China. The Yuan has dropped and that is the reason nobody pays more in the USA for Chinese goods. When these companies leave China they will not come back.

5 minutes ago, neeray said:

So, are you saying that Trump is being unfair to China? Or are you just a Chinese sympathizer?

2 hours ago, webfact said:

"I have no deadline," he told a news conference, gesturing to his head. "My deadline is what's up here. We'll figure out the deadline. Nobody can quite figure it out."

Incoherent. And another lie. And another cave in. This man talks like somebody in the booby hatch.

14 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Please give me advanced notice when you actually want an adult conversation

555. If you don't like the conversation, don't respond.

15 minutes ago, Longcut said:

So, are you saying that Trump is being unfair to China? Or are you just a Chinese sympathizer?

Definitely not a Chinese sympathizer. You either misread my comments, read to your liking or can't read. I never said or implied any such thing.

2 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

have no problem schooling you on China and basic economics. Just try to step your game up a tiny little bit.

Thanks but don't need your biased schooling. You have your opinion, I have mine.

A troll post containing a trolling representation of Trump's name has been removed. 

A post containing a profane acronym has been removed:

8.) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

7 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

If trade wars are so easy to win , as Trump famously boasted , why are US farmers suffering to the extent that tax payers are bailing them out ?

Nothing is done overnight.  Relax the Trump Derangement Syndrome and it's clear to see China is feeling the heat and rightly so.  Keep turning up the pressure....

5 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

And how many of them are going to be relocating their manufacturing facilities in the USA? Which is what Trump said would happen. In fact, lots of manufacturers were doing the next best thing: moving production to Mexico. There's a positive spillover effect on the adjacent economy north of the border. You think any major manufacturer is going to risk setting up production in Mexico, given that Trump has made his retreat on imposing tariffs on Mexico conditional?

5 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Please give me advanced notice when you actually want an adult conversation. HK has riots now, China has been lying to the world bank, companies are fleeing China. The Yuan has dropped and that is the reason nobody pays more in the USA for Chinese goods. When these companies leave China they will not come back.

On top on that China has strict capital control in place, including their social point system, to track who takes money out of the country, in not the Yuan would go further down the toilet.

The Chinese might not need American soybean right now, but once the truth about the African Swine Fever gets out, they will be begging to import pork direct from the US of A.

"In some instances, individuals have even been punished for publicizing outbreaks. A hog manager in Shandong province was allegedly arrested for reporting infected pigs to the national government after his efforts to alert local officials were ignored."

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2019-eliminating-african-swine-fever

2 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

On top on that China has strict capital control in place, including their social point system, to track who takes money out of the country, in not the Yuan would go further down the toilet.

The Chinese might not need American soybean right now, but once the truth about the African Swine Fever gets out, they will be begging to import pork direct from the US of A.

"In some instances, individuals have even been punished for publicizing outbreaks. A hog manager in Shandong province was allegedly arrested for reporting infected pigs to the national government after his efforts to alert local officials were ignored."

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2019-eliminating-african-swine-fever

Right, There have been hardly any stories about African swine fever in China and its devastating effect and economic significance. I went to google news and went through 5 pages of stories about it. I jumped to page 14 and it was still wall-to-wall swine fule stories. Oddly enough, Fox News wasn't listed as reporting on the subject in the first 5 pages. Maybe that's why you think it's under reported?

6 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

And the Hong Kong riots are relevant to this topic how?

isnt trump (the leader of America) also under investigation for bank fraud and lying?

companies are not fleeing China because of tariffs... Chinese minimum wages have doubled in the last ten years, so cheap Charlie companies who have been exploiting Chinese labor markets are considering moves to even cheaper markets.

a drop in the yuan from 6.7:1 to 6.9:1, considering trumps aggressive rhetoric and Sabre rattling is hardly worth discussing

most of “these” companies appear to be planning on staying in China, making Chinese goods for Chinas markets, which seems logical as China is a huge and expanding marketplace.

Meanwhile, your claim that prices in the US has not changed is easily refuted. Research also suggests retailers (or wholesalers) not effected by tariffs, are also raising their prices, giving the American consumer a double whammy, which is a despicable practice

https://qz.com/1564566/trumps-trade-war-has-cost-the-us-at-least-19-billion/

winning... yay.... maga. I bet mr trumps net worth has increased. (At the expense of the people’s)

yes indeed... when your ready for an adult conversation vs regurgitation of trumps tweets, let us know.

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Yes... well.... mmmm

china has already been cancelling import orders from the US, so US gains due to the swine fever are limited

Meanwhile, Canadian exports have risen dramatically and British pork exports to China has also risen by 16%... , and, as the EU is the main Chinese supplier, undoubtedly their import volume will increase. Little ol Australia will also probably benefit. Thanks Donald.

also.... whilst China might have to pay more for a small percentage of its pork imports, it is also an exporter of pork products, so importers of pork products from China can reasonably expect China to pass on the increased cost due to trumps tariffs.

trade wars... so easy.... trump economics 101... take a business, shake it up n down, and then bankrupt it. Maga.

4 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Nothing is done overnight.  Relax the Trump Derangement Syndrome and it's clear to see China is feeling the heat and rightly so.  Keep turning up the pressure....

Nothing is done over night? Considering the US economy is now starting to slow under the great ones biggly wins the pressure now coming on as always predicted will be handled a lot better by the Chinese under their hardened upbringing than that of soft Americans. Americans in addition to having to supplement lost production sales to China through subsidies are also losing market share as the Chinese source from other countries. We trade into China from an American source which we have currently ceased as tariffs have it at break even where as our supply chain from the South Pacific is holding at same historic values in spite of increased Russian supply. 

Trump is bluffing himself with his own bull crap. 

Hold on now. He has said on many occasions how special his relationship with Xi is. Now he is changing his tune?

China holds all the cards. Mr. "I cannot negotiate my way out of a paper bag" seems to be getting nervous. 

The issue here is that Xi holds 70-80 additional IQ points over Trump. Trump is simply outclassed. Trump negotiating with Xi, is a bit akin to Brittany Spears playing chess with Boris Spassky. Checkmate!

40 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Hold on now. He has said on many occasions how special his relationship with Xi is. Now he is changing his tune?

China holds all the cards. Mr. "I cannot negotiate my way out of a paper bag" seems to be getting nervous. 

The issue here is that Xi holds 70-80 additional IQ points over Trump. Trump is simply outclassed. Trump negotiating with Xi, is a bit akin to Brittany Spears playing chess with Boris Spassky. Checkmate!

Xi needs to learn to play first. 

What cards do China holds? 

1.jpg

2.jpg

14 hours ago, bristolboy said:

The 2020 elections for one.

Is there an election in China in 2020? Great.

Put your X next to i, and go and eat a pie.

I should run Xi's election campaign. Who is he running against? I don't need his name, just his size, for the casket.

1 hour ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Is there an election in China in 2020? Great.

Put your X next to i, and go and eat a pie.

I should run Xi's election campaign. Who is he running against? I don't need his name, just his size, for the casket.

Just because the elections are being held in the USA, that doesn't mean they're a card Trump is holding. Unless you believe that something that makes you vulnerable to pressure is an ace in the hole.

19 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Xi needs to learn to play first. 

What cards do China holds? 

1.jpg

2.jpg

China possesses countless cards.

1. They have cut their total worldwide exports to the US from over 50% 15 years ago, to less than 21% total. They are far less dependent on the US, than the US is dependent on them. 

2. Xi has over 70 IQ points over Trump. Easily. Trump cannot negotiate his way out of a paper bag. A horrible negotiator and deal maker.

3. China is far more visionary than the US. US foreign policy extends about 6 months into the future. China? 50 years.

4. China growth in 2018 was 6.5%. US growth was barely 3%. Experts predict the Chinese economy will eclipse the US economy in a matter of years, and by 2030, will surpass that of the US. It is also possible India will surpass the US five years after that. The US is in decline. It is just a matter of time. I say this as an American, with some objectivity. Some less conservative economists project the size of China's economy to be double that of the US, by 2040. Not that far away. US influence is in decline, and Trump has precipitated that decline dramatically. 

China is on course to be the world’s biggest economy by 2030, according to analysis that challenges Donald Trump’s claim that the U.S. is not about to be overtaken.

The forecast was made by economists at HSBC Holdings Plc in a new study of 75 nations published on Tuesday. It also saw the Chinese as remaining the single biggest contributor to global growth over the next decade. The projections suggest China’s gross domestic product will stand at $26 trillion in 2030, up from $14.1 trillion today. The U.S. meanwhile will see its GDP rise more slowly to $25.2 trillion from $20.4 trillion.

5. The US holds $22 trillion in acknowledged long term debt. Since Cheney passed that heinous resolution that allowed the US to conduct both the Iraq and Afghanistan campaign entirely off the books, the real debt is probably somewhere between $27 trillion and $32 trillion. China? Private debt is high, largely due to speculation in real estate. But, federal debt is relatively low, and China is sitting on over $3 trillion in cash, while the US has perhaps under a billion in actual cash. It continues borrowing from one program, to pay for another. Not a sustainable M.O.

By mid-2017, the total amount of official debt owed by the federal, state and local governments was more than $19.4 trillion. That figure was $22 trillion, as of Feb. 17, 2019. Some experts add more than $120 trillion in unfunded future liabilities on the federal government balance sheet.

Of the $22 trillion in government debts, more than $5 trillion (a little less than one-third) is actually owned by the federal government in trust funds. These are accounts dedicated to Social Security, Medicare and other entitlements. In other words, the government wrote itself a really big IOU and bankrupted one account to finance another activity. IOUs are formed and financed through joint efforts of the U.S. Department of the Treasury and the Federal Reserve.

Much of the rest of the debt is owned by individual investors, corporations and other public entities. This includes everyone from retirees who purchase individual U.S. Treasurys to the Chinese government.

China took the top spot among foreign creditors at $1.123 trillion, followed by Japan, at $1.042 trillion, as of December 2018. 

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/080615/china-owns-us-debt-how-much.asp

Archived