BANGKOK 19 June 2019 13:45
webfact

Trump leaves China tariff deadline open, calls relationship 'testy'

Trump leaves China tariff deadline open, calls relationship 'testy'

By Jeff Mason

2019-06-12T163520Z_1_LYNXNPEF5B1Q3_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRADE-CHINA-G20.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump and China's President Xi Jinping meet business leaders at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, China, November 9, 2017. REUTERS/Damir Sagolj/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump declined to set a deadline on Wednesday for levying tariffs on another $325 billion of Chinese goods and called the relationship with Beijing good but "testy" after China walked back commitments for a trade deal.

The president, who said he still plans to meet with Chinese President Xi Jinping later this month, has repeatedly threatened to escalate an already months-long trade war by putting tariffs on nearly all of the remaining Chinese imports that are not already affected by U.S. levies, which include products such as cell phones, computers and clothing.

Asked if he had a deadline for China to make progress towards a deal before facing the further penalty, Trump said no.

"I have no deadline," he told a news conference, gesturing to his head. "My deadline is what's up here. We'll figure out the deadline. Nobody can quite figure it out."

Trump has said previously that he would decide after the G20 meeting in Japan at the end of June whether to carry out his threat.

Washington has already imposed 25 percent tariffs on $250 billion of Chinese goods, ranging from semi-conductors to furniture, that are imported to the United States.

Trump reiterated his belief manufacturers were pulling out of China under pressure from the tariffs that the United States has already imposed, in a boon to U.S. manufacturing.

"I think that we'll end up making a deal with China. We have a very good relationship, although it's a little bit testy right now, as you would expect. I think they really have to make a deal."

Though Trump has said he plans to meet with Xi at the G20 summit in Japan, Beijing has not confirmed any planned talks.

Trade talks between the world's two largest economies fell apart in May. Trump administration officials said China had watered down commitments it made on issues such as stopping intellectual property theft.

"We thought we had a deal, and unfortunately they decided that they were going to change the deal, and they can't do that with me. But something's going to happen and I think it's going to be something very positive," Trump said.

The United States wants China to change its trade practices by not requiring U.S. companies to share their technology in order to do business there, curbing subsidies for Chinese state-owned enterprises and increasing access to Chinese markets.

(Additional reporting by Steve Holland, Timothy Ahmann; Editing by Cynthia Osterman)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-13

Japanese electronics company Ricoh is planning to shift production of its printers that are shipped to the U.S. market from China to existing facilities in Thailand, according to a May 16 report by Japanese media Nikkei.

Currently, Ricoh makes these U.S.-bound printers in both the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen and Rayong, a province in southern Thailand. According to Nikkei, the shift in production will take place as early as this summer. Once the shift is complete, the Thailand production site will produce all its printers that are destined for the U.S. market.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Longcut said:

Japanese electronics company Ricoh is planning to shift production of its printers that are shipped to the U.S. market from China to existing facilities in Thailand, according to a May 16 report by Japanese media Nikkei.

Currently, Ricoh makes these U.S.-bound printers in both the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen and Rayong, a province in southern Thailand. According to Nikkei, the shift in production will take place as early as this summer. Once the shift is complete, the Thailand production site will produce all its printers that are destined for the U.S. market.

Every company in the world that manufactures in China and exports to the USA  is researching a move.

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, neeray said:

That's great news for Thailand. But sooner or later, Trump will kick them in the balls too.

But hopefully he'll be gone before getting that chance.

Please give me advanced notice when you actually want an adult conversation. HK has riots now, China has been lying to the world bank, companies are fleeing China. The Yuan has dropped and that is the reason nobody pays more in the USA for Chinese goods. When these companies leave China they will not come back.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, neeray said:

That's great news for Thailand. But sooner or later, Trump will kick them in the balls too.

But hopefully he'll be gone before getting that chance.

So, are you saying that Trump is being unfair to China? Or are you just a Chinese sympathizer?

Edited by Longcut
  • Confused 3

14 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Please give me advanced notice when you actually want an adult conversation

555. If you don't like the conversation, don't respond.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, neeray said:

555. If you don't like the conversation, don't respond.

have no problem schooling you on China and basic economics. Just try to step your game up a tiny little bit.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Longcut said:

So, are you saying that Trump is being unfair to China? Or are you just a Chinese sympathizer?

Definitely not a Chinese sympathizer. You either misread my comments, read to your liking or can't read. I never said or implied any such thing.

• Like 1

A troll post containing a trolling representation of Trump's name has been removed. 

A post containing a profane acronym has been removed:

8.) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

If trade wars are so easy to win , as Trump famously boasted , why are US farmers suffering to the extent that tax payers are bailing them out ?

• Thanks 1