BANGKOK 26 June 2019 00:43
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Trump confident Hong Kong and China will 'work things out' after protests

3 hours ago, usviphotography said:

It is neither vague nor meaningless. And it is in line with what every China Expert is saying right now. Trump has a way of getting to the heart of the matter. Nobody thinks a Civil War is going to erupt in Hong Kong. There will be protests, China will mostly get what it wants with maybe some mild concessions thrown in for HK leaders to save face, and everything will die down and yes, it will all "work out". 

The "outrage" from certain quarters on this issue is laughable. Everyone knew harmonization of HK and Chinese law would be an inevitable outcome of the handover. This ship sailed 22 years ago. And I don't remember any of these "suddenly concerned about what goes on in Hong Kong" arguing against the handover in 1997. Entire world was pretty much on board with selling Hong Kong out. Prince Charles even showed up in fancy white suit with Tony Blair to see it off. But now you guys want to complain about it?

Yet again the core issue is Rule of Law which trump has repeatedly demonstrated minimal respect; underlined by this OP.  Under the 'One country, two systems' agreement Hong Kong was guaranteed to keep it's way of life in-place until 2047. The current attempt by PRC to impose transfer of detainees to the oppressive PRC judicial system is in breach of the Agreement, therefore a contrary to the Rule of Law. It is a great shame the current President of the USA fails in his duty to represent the 'Free World'.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, usviphotography said:

It is neither vague nor meaningless. And it is in line with what every China Expert is saying right now. Trump has a way of getting to the heart of the matter. Nobody thinks a Civil War is going to erupt in Hong Kong. There will be protests, China will mostly get what it wants with maybe some mild concessions thrown in for HK leaders to save face, and everything will die down and yes, it will all "work out". 

The "outrage" from certain quarters on this issue is laughable. Everyone knew harmonization of HK and Chinese law would be an inevitable outcome of the handover. This ship sailed 22 years ago. And I don't remember any of these "suddenly concerned about what goes on in Hong Kong" arguing against the handover in 1997. Entire world was pretty much on board with selling Hong Kong out. Prince Charles even showed up in fancy white suit with Tony Blair to see it off. But now you guys want to complain about it?

I lived in HK for a number of years, but left before the handover.   I can assure you that a great number of people were complaining about the return of HK.   At the time, however, there was a hope that China would leave HK alone.   HK was very rich and China was still relatively poor.   HK was the goose that laid the golden egg, so to speak.   As China has begun to prosper, HK is less and less important to the mainland.  

So, I agree it will 'work out', but I suspect it will be a very uneven work out in China's favor.   I understand the outrage, but China is the overlord and not much that anyone can do about that.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Scott said:

I lived in HK for a number of years, but left before the handover.   I can assure you that a great number of people were complaining about the return of HK.   At the time, however, there was a hope that China would leave HK alone.   HK was very rich and China was still relatively poor.   HK was the goose that laid the golden egg, so to speak.   As China has begun to prosper, HK is less and less important to the mainland.  

So, I agree it will 'work out', but I suspect it will be a very uneven work out in China's favor.   I understand the outrage, but China is the overlord and not much that anyone can do about that.  

nor will anyone worldwide do anything even if there was wholesale slaughter to combat the protests, not even loony trump would take on China militarily.. 

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This seer, and prophet, knows they will work things out. One never knows what it really means, when Trump utters such a statement. Perhaps he has spoken to his close friend Xi, due to the very special relationship they have. Trump does not appear to be fond of democracy, and as we all know, he coddles and greatly admires dictators. So, perhaps his version of work things out, means that Hong Kongers will lose all rights to protest, demonstrate and criticize the government. No doubt, something Trump would be very  grateful for if it happened in the US.

Yep, and I'm wondering if he even knows where Hong Kong is on the world map.

• Like 1

A post which contained a profane acronym has been removed as per the following forum rule:

8.) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.