Sneaky way for the BTS system to make more money?

StayinThailand2much

I remember, when purchasing my BTS card years ago, that the terms mentioned that the issuing fee would be reimbursed upon return of the card.

However, with the new ID registration, it turns out that a new card is given out for a fee of 50 baht, as the 'old' one is declared "expired", but without the money (100 or 150 baht?) being returned for the original card.

Have they found a new way to fleece people, by not honoring the terms of purchase for the old cards?

my old mrt card failing to be read. asked for replacement and they charged 50 baht and transferred balance. asking them why charge me since their card failed went nowhere in classic acephaly style. i was happy to pay and get away fromvthem.

My Bangkok bank atm card is also a rabbit card which I can add to through on line banking. I am sure when it hits it’s 5 year expiration date I will also be charged to replace it but for 5 years I don’t have to deal with lines at the bts counter.

once the bkkbank atm at esplanade mall died with my atm card inside. i went immediately to bkkbank esplanade brach upstairs to tell them what happened. they wanted 200 baht for a new card so i just asked they retrieve my card from THEIR machine.  result; no charge for replacement card .    even the ones that can think are often too lazy to think.

My BTS Rabbit Card from 5-6 years ago still works. The Yellow/Orange coloured one. Your one doesn't still work? Or did the staff tell you they can't top it up anymore and asked you to get a new one?

How much was the issuing fee & deposit for the old Yellow/Orange Rabbit Card? I forgot how much it was.

Also, I never had to register this card. I just top it up at the window with 100 baht each time no problems.

My adult bts card puts my one way commute at 22 baht (according to https://www.bts.co.th/eng/files/uploads/tickets/pdf/Rbbit_Adultv2.pdf) when buying a ticket would be 24 bahts. I must have taken the bts a few hundreds time by now with this same card so it kind of balances the scam. I also didn't have any problem or fee when I topped up and had to register my passport.

Archived