Birthday, this upsets me

kevin612

Think yourself lucky she forgot ... on my birthday my GF remembered and had a big party with loads of food and drink and all her friends came and wished me happy birthday and sang songs all night on  the karaoke.  

Next morning I woke and thanked her for being so considerate and remembering my birthday . ..... Then she told me I had to pay for it all as she had got the lot from the local shop on strap , and that this is customary In Thailand , if it's your birthday you treat all your friends .

After that I stuck with tradition and reminded her of her birthday every year after , to her disgust 555

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

but it would be wise to find out one way or the other why she didn't consider your special day very special.

Birthdays can be fun and all of course, yet the idea that gifts and such are necessary ended somewhere around the age of 21 for me.

A "special day" makes more sense when it is something shared, such as the day you met,  when you moved in together, when your had your STD checks done....romantic stuff you know 55 

More fun would be to celebrate the day you were conceived by re-enacting all the ways it could have happened

Mate, treat yourself to something you have always wanted. Then, knock it off her allowance. In instalments if need be. 

Trust me, she will be fine with that and she will also feel so guilty. Sorted!

Disclaimer:

Any actions arising, as a result of this advise it entirely at your own risk.

2 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

I can do better than that!

A relationship for three years with a woman from Isaan, produced nothing for three years, for birthday, Valentines day (same as my birthday) Christmas, New Year's Day - Western, Chinese or Thai.

I did get "something" one year from her daughter on Father's day - a wai that lasted all of a pico second!

And yes, she received love and affection and many gifts on her Special Days, not to mention her mortgage, paying for two motor bikes, B40,000 for her best friend who found me for her!! It's true, I'm afraid!! And plenty more I won't bore you with!

In contrast, this year, my Thai wife booked flight tickets. and resort hotels in Krabi for my birthday - yes, we went together!! Not because she is rich but because she loves me!!

Am I reading this right ? You paid her friend 40k for introducing you to her ?? Please say no 

9 hours ago, kevin612 said:

On my birthday yesterday, no cake and no presents from girlfriend.

I still remember her friend's birthday, she wanted to buy that and that for her.

We walked night market twice and she always remembered her birthday.

when my birthday comes, NOTHING. This really bothers me. 

Perhaps I should break up.

SHE KNOWS THIS IS MY BIRTHDAY!!!

Edited 9 hours ago by kevin612

Do you get this upset if Santa doesn't come?

11 hours ago, kevin612 said:

Perhaps I should break up.

Yes, seems like a good reason to break up...????
–By the way I always invite my girlfriend, and a number of our mutual friends, to a birthday party, which don't need to be the ballroom in a five-star hotel every year, some years it can just be a simple and affordable small get together – she never forget my birthday, she even buy presents for me (just the intention is however enough to make me happy) – I just mention it, in case you change your mind about breaking-up, and try to give your relationship another chance...????

11 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Does she have her own money ?

or does she have to ask you for money ? 

If it's the latter then you know why, she can hardly ask you for money to get you something can she.

why not?

12 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Yep. Or maybe she didn't know? My wife forgot mine this year. 2 days later she remembered. I am still shaking from the sex she gave me! 

...OP should be a bigger man and say nothing.

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Thais generally don't celebrate birthdays, so neither should we when we're here.

Respect local culture.

Well I guess I must live in a different Thailand to you. I get invited to many adult and kids birthday parties. Seemingly every few weeks. 

Any excuse for a party in this area of Isaan. 

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Thais generally don't celebrate birthdays, so neither should we when we're here.

Respect local culture.

What!! Thais dont celebrate birthdays, your certainly having a laugh.

My wife always makes a fuss on birthdays, cake, small party, last year i said no fuss for my birthday, ok she says, on my birthday same as every other year, party.

Fire back when its her birthday by conveniently forgetting also.

Tit-for-tat. See how see likes, only way they'll learn never to do it again... but be prepared for hell, as you know, it's ok for a Thai to forget, but not a farang.

Me thinks she not lub you mak...

i think generally that the way it is here, Thai people dont hold the same values as us when it comes to birthday, Christmas etc. i just learn to except it and deal with it no big problem, i do the same with the Thais as they do ........dont bother.

On 6/13/2019 at 12:04 PM, kevin612 said:

I gave her 20k monthly, 6 months together and we both are young. Her birthday on oct.

So she had a birthday every month for 6 months right, and the big one is in October, can I cum...

You sound like a disappointed toddler, I forget my birthdays, I ignore Christmas, I forget the wifes birthday and my son reminded me it was his birthday recently, nobody gets anything. My two stepdaughters have birthdays near each other in December so the wife says we will have a birthday party at Christmas, we don't. "How old is Bon this year" I asked the wife regarding the youngest daughter. "15 or 16". "How old are you Bon" I ask, "17". "I knew it was somewhere around there"said the wife cheerfully.

22 hours ago, Macthehat said:

Am I reading this right ? You paid her friend 40k for introducing you to her ?? Please say no 

Can't say "no", I paid it at B2000 per month. This was about 8 years ago. Yes, I know what you are thinking!

On 6/13/2019 at 5:28 PM, Skallywag said:

Birthdays can be fun and all of course, yet the idea that gifts and such are necessary ended somewhere around the age of 21 for me.

A "special day" makes more sense when it is something shared, such as the day you met,  when you moved in together, when your had your STD checks done....romantic stuff you know 55 

More fun would be to celebrate the day you were conceived by re-enacting all the ways it could have happened

555!!!

Archived