Immigration busy fining Thais and foreigners - US man pays 5,000 baht fine for not doing 90 day report

webfact

32 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

Can you please name the Immigration Office that today requires new TM30 "following an overnight stay in another province"? This has been asked at Immigration Offices around the country over and over again and they always instruct new TM30 needed only if new TM6, new entry to this country, not travel within the country. 

Chiang Rai, even if you stay in a hotel WITHIN Chiang Rai province!

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bangkok....
and everthing else that follows section 38.

If it had anything todo with the TM6 then hotels wouldn't need todo TM30 too... Doesn't matter if you stay in a hotel or private home, they want to know where you are.

That is not true. Bangkok does no such nonsense. Actually very few people have been fined in Bangkok for TM30. Some still lately got yearly extensions approved in BKK and have never done TM30.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

That is not true. Bangkok does no such nonsense. Actually very few people have been fined in Bangkok for TM30. Some still lately got yearly extensions approved in BKK and have never done TM30.

Ok cool,

i went there to do my 90 day report last week and that's what they told me.

Might differ per day, person ask and time of day and how good their food was tho...

Chiang Rai, even if you stay in a hotel WITHIN Chiang Rai province!

Were you fined in CR for this? Did they really instruct to do new TM30 everytime you return your residence from a hotel? Or is your residence a hotel as well? That might explain the confusion. Maybe you should have shown the instructional video on Youtube released by immigration about TM30 to them when getting fined.

48 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

well last i checked there are 195 countries in the world and so far only 4 refuse to issue income affidavits.

so do you want me to do the maths or would you like to borrow my calculator?

edit: haha just realized thailand is one of the countries so i guess i was wrong..

190 managed it.

there ya go feel better now?!

Replying was easy enough; understanding the reply was unfortunately outside my control...

Ok cool,

i went there to do my 90 day report last week and that's what they told me.

Might differ per day, person ask and time of day and how good their food was tho...

And were you fined for something last week?

And what was it you were exactly told last week?

All this reporting is online now so not much worries of officer’s daily moods here. According to what you have said so far I won’t be able to do my next 90 days report online cos I have stayed in several hotels all around Thailand since my TM30, reported online earlier this year. And this would have somehow changed situation about my residence. I can’t see how it could be possible so you must be clearly wrong. Or BKK has changed the instructions last week. So which is it?

daft situation with 90 day and the renewal of 1yr visa !   I did my visa renewal and my 90 day was due after 2 weeks so I asked if I still have to come back ?? answer yes as the two are not connected !!  why on earth not ??   surely if I attend the immigration and renew my visa that counts as reporting ??  hmmmmm oh well

42 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

And what was it you were exactly told last week?

All this reporting is online now so not much worries of officer’s daily moods here. According to what you have said so far I won’t be able to do my next 90 days report online cos I have stayed in several hotels all around Thailand since my TM30, reported online earlier this year. And this would have somehow changed situation about my residence. I can’t see how it could be possible so you must be clearly wrong. Or BKK has changed the instructions last week. So which is it?

If your tm30 is not up to date you won't be able to make a 90 day report without having an up to date tm30. Many here have reported that their last hotel was still in the immigration computer as the last reported address and that caused issues.

You can only do tm30 online if your landlord/wife/houseowner or urself as the owner registers there and let's you do it, most here don't have that luxury.

"cos I have stayed in several hotels all around Thailand since my TM30, reported online earlier this year."

Well yes, how would they know where you are currently without you doing a tm30 report? They can't. That's why they might want you do a tm30 again, usually.

What's the difference between traveling inland or international in terms of your residence?! There's none. They want to know where you are and need a tm30 for that.

Tm30 has nothing todo with residence, that's tm28, if you move your residential apartment you have to do a tm28. 

You can read more about this clusterfuck here: http://donslifeinthailand.com/TM28_Imm_Law.html and on thaivisa itself.

10 people here can ask them and we would get 5 different answers, just prepare for the worst ???? 

Nope, made a tm30 before i went there as i never done one before.

https://dancham.or.th/important-notice-on-notification-of-residence-tm-30/

Here's the Danish Thai chamber listing Bangkok as "strictly" enforcing, whatever that means.

https://www.dejudomlaw.com/asean-today-march-2019/ here's some more info from a lawfirm, also stating that we as tentants are not liable, same thai elite told me - still they screw us over tho.

"Starting March 28, 2019, all foreigners who plan to file the above applications at the Immigration Bureau at Chaengwattana must ensure that the owner or lessor of their residence has completed the notification process and properly filed the form TM 30 with the Immigration Bureau. Without the official TM30 receipt, any of the above applications filed by a foreigner will be rejected or delayed." 

Nope, made a tm30 before i went there as i never done one before.

First you said gets fined in BKK but now you were not. Now you are all might and could. Please stop confusing people here with your imaginary nonsense. Bangkok does not require you to leave a new TM30 after staying in hotel in Thailand. It does not change the status of your residence you have notified on TM30

Also, most offices reported asking a new TM30 if moved to a new address. TM 28 you mentioned is not currently needed in most of offices I have heard of.

11 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Greedy control freaks. Very very little to do with effective law enforcement, and everything to do with revenue. The only power you have here is spending power. Stop spending money until they start treating you like a human being.

Reminds me of corporate America or the IRS.....or North Korea.

Why would i get fined if my tm30 was ok, you don't make any sense.

Just send it via postal service and include your rental contract, there's a thread about that on here. Can't fine anyone that doesn't go there...

whole thread about getting fined at CW...

12 hours ago, EricTh said:

There are still tons of foreigners who still want to stay long term in Thailand after all these harassment akin to a police state.

Clearly......

But gone past the ' akin ' state though.   It's real enough now.

But hey ...... I'm sure glad Thaksin has been disposed of.  I sleep a whole lot better knowing happiness has been returned to everyone and populist policies  are done with.

12 hours ago, SammyT said:

Rubbish. "Maybe he got sick" - for 22 days? You can go 15 days before or 7 days after and still complete the check-in. But you already knew that and that was the best excuse you could come up with for why someone might miss their 90 day check in?

Also, great strawman argument you show there with your suggestion I must enjoy living in a Police state because I pointed out that the 90 day check in isn't that much of an issue if you do it right. Nope, I don't see it as a police state, but then again, I don't see a 30 minute appointment, once every three months as overly restrictive either. Why? Because it's not. 

I'm a British journalist who until slipping into semi-retirement used to have a journalist visa for the US. It allowed me unlimited time in the country and the visa was valid for 10 years, until my passport needed renewing and then I got another. Not once did a friend or colleague have to report me staying with them.

In Thailand, I have been married to and supporting a Thai for over 25 years, and I am still told I must get out of the country every 90 days. From what I understand, my wife could be in trouble for not reporting that I am at the address I have already given immigration when I arrive in the country. I also understand that I could be stopped in the street at any time and my passport demanded. The Nazis used to do that before and during World War 2. "Show me your papers!" Now, that is a police state in any sensible person's mind, and I know of no other country where you can just randomly be stopped in the street by the police and have them demand ID under no provocation at all. Your rose-coloured glasses hide that from you. It's all about control and serves no other purpose.

Quite a contrast, hmm?

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm a British journalist who until slipping into semi-retirement used to have a journalist visa for the US. It allowed me unlimited time in the country and the visa was valid for 10 years, until my passport needed renewing and then I got another.

In Thailand, I have been married to and supporting a Thai for over 25 years, and I am still told I must get out of the country every 90 days. From what I understand, my wife could be in trouble for not reporting that I am at the address I have already given immigration when I arrive in the country. I also understand that I could be stopped in the street at any time and my passport demanded. The Nazis used to do that before World War 2. "Show me your papers!" Now, that is a police state in any sensible person's mind. Your rose-coloured glasses hide that from you. It's all about control and serves no other purpose.

Quite a contrast, hmm?

Just carry a pic in your phone ya big sissy. Chances of being randomly pulled over just for an ID check alone is to close to zero to worry about.

42 minutes ago, madmen said:

Just carry a pic in your phone ya big sissy. Chances of being randomly pulled over just for an ID check alone is to close to zero to worry about.

But it’s not zero. Even former communist counties gave up on this kind of nonsense years ago. Here on the other hand, regression on a daily basis. Calling someone a sissy in this way says more about you than him btw.

5 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

But it’s not zero. Even former communist counties gave up on this kind of nonsense years ago. Here on the other hand, regression on a daily basis. Calling someone a sissy in this way says more about you than him btw.

Comparing Thailand to Nazi germany says way more about him and you defending him than it does about me and you managed to offend the Jews without even knowing it

Thats the type of post that should be reported to the Thai authorities !! it's beyond sick..I bet my condo somebody will 

19 minutes ago, madmen said:

Comparing Thailand to Nazi germany says way more about him and you defending him than it does about me and you managed to offend the Jews without even knowing it

Thats the type of post that should be reported to the Thai authorities !! it's beyond sick..I bet my condo somebody will 

The one you don't pay taxes on? Would be a liability for the new owner. 

2 hours ago, madmen said:

I got stopped 2 times in one week

8 hours ago, edwardflory said:

The onus is on YOU ( per regulations ) to insure ALL YOUR PAPERWORK is in order.  I agree 100% it is the landlords "responsibility" to file the TM-30, but YOU get fined if the landlord doesn't.  Before all this crazed TM-30 stuff, MANY offices did NOT bother with a TM-30 or a TM-28 - ( SOME offices substituted the TM-47 for the TM-28 ) 

Now we have to live with the polices / regulations that are NOW being enforced OUR LOCAL IO.

In a thread like this one, frequently reverting to capitals to try and make your point stronger comes across as intellectually weak and unusually officious - it's like the internet equivalent of barking out orders. Are you sure you don't work for immigration? 

8 hours ago, SammyT said:
8 hours ago, singking said:

I'm about to move to Thailand and I’ve noticed one overriding factor with a lot, not all, Thai Visa members that they bitch and scream endlessly about their problems in Thailand. Why do you guys come here or live here??
I totally understand the whinging POM analogy because that’s what Pommies do, but if you don’t like what your confronted with, then why on earth did you come to Thailand in the first place? Research is as easy as it gets these days. So I can only assume ignorance is bliss. If you came here for a cheap chic or to boost your failing ego then try America out! It’s soon to be a 3rd world country

Those same guys who time and time again keep threatening to take their massive pension payments to another country that wants them more are still here. 

Fascinating. We seem to have an "if you don't like it here go home" comment from someone who hasn't even arrived yet! This is then heartily endorsed by another poster who's clearly fresh off the boat...

8 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

As mentioned in an earlier post, while Thailand acts like they have a major security breach on their hands if a foreigner doesn't report his address within 24 hours, they completely ignore the millions of Thais who remain registered on their birthplace house registry for decades after they have established permanent residence elsewhere. Why is where foreigners are domiciled being so closely monitored when they represent such a tiny percentage of the total population? Those are legitimate questions.

According to the infantile cartoon produced by immigration recently, because of the belief that we're sat in an unregistered location assembling bombs. This was their reasoning, seriously.

Unofficially however, they're milking the biggest cash grab scheme they've seen in years until public uproar reaches it's inevitable tipping point. 

15 hours ago, quandow said:

I live in Jomtien, and when the mood hits me, I rent a room near LK Metro so I don't have to worry about drunk driving. Am I required to do a new TM30 every time I rent a room?

IMHO no. I asked the Hat Yai Immigration, if I had to do an new TM 30 after traveling to BKK for two days and they said no.

It is not the immigration folks working in their local stations, who made the rules. They just doing their jobs. I stored the regular forms on my PC and only have to edit the dates, or the number of the arrival card, and print them out. They are happy with an easily readable form and even did not fine me twice for being a little late with my 90 day report.

8 hours ago, rexall said:

Huh? No, Thailand didn't change the rules. Not such an easy thing to do, and why bother if the embassies stop issuing income affidavits? It is quite clever and elegant, actually. Do you really think the motivation to stop issuing affidavits spontaneously occurred in the several countries during the same two week period? They just woke up one morning and decided to stop issuing affidavits?  Of course not!  There must have been  some kind of a deal or politics or  pressure applied by the Thais, and the embassies chose to comply.  I would love to know more about what actually went on and how the decisions came about.

I certainly seems it was political and came from the top rather than being a procedural matter of tightening up potential loopholes. It's surely no coincidence that it was the three major English language speaking countries that were penalised here, who've been so vocally critical of the administration here in the world media in the past five years. And why (Denmark aside) did they suddenly back off from further enforcing it on any of the other embassies? The UK especially dealt a blow to the country's image and reputation, in denying the extradition request for the ousted former PM and instead granting her a ten year visa. Any coincidence that this happened last May - the same month the extraordinary meeting between immigration and the embassy took place informing them of the new rules? 

I thought the fine was 2000 baht fine,I was told from friends in cm it was that for missing the report date.my elderly American friend forgot about the date this year and the fine was 2000.not a big issue just don,t do it again and you will be fine was what he was told.where did the 5000 baht figure come from

Archived