BANGKOK 26 June 2019 01:18
webfact

Immigration busy fining Thais and foreigners - US man pays 5,000 baht fine for not doing 90 day report

6 minutes ago, evadgib said:

No they didn't.

The Consulate I use since 15 years, didn't change nothing in their way to check my income, put lately they put the words "It is hereby certified" in their Letter of Income. 

Everybody happy :

Immigration, me and Consulate (I pay 1500 Thb for this letter). 

Interesting to read about the 90 day report problems. I have not done one for years. Each time I renew my retirement extension, I also renew my multiple re-entry permit, and as a regular visitor to neighboring ASEAN countries (all within a 90 day period) I get a new TM6 every time on re-entry and, as you know, it is 90 days from the date on the latest TM6.

5 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

The Thai government do not want westerners living in Thailand anymore.  Their loony requirement to deposit 800,000 in a Thai bank is an example of how to rid westerns from Thailand.  

Westerners tend to pose a problem for police state governments.  Westerners think they are entitled to free speech, right to a fair trial and other crazy ideas, which police states bristle at the mere thought of.  The party is over for westerners.  The Thai leaders would prefer to have Chinese citizens to replace them.  These people are used to living in a restrictive environment. 😞 

So it is cheaper than 800K for chinese to stay. Do they get special exemptions against breaking the law ?  

35 minutes ago, asiaexpat said:

90 day report (TM47) does not replace the TM30 requirement. 

Or the TM-28 NOW being enforced by many offices.

Side note TM-47:  I ALSO agree that this paperwork is not efficient.  I have a friend living in the same house with the same Thai wife for over 20 years.  I would suggest if you live at the same location for say 3-5 years, you only report your address with your "extension renewal", UNLESS you move, more logical I would think.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A friend went to Immigration in Phitsanulok today.  He missed his 90 day report deadline.  The immigration officer told him the fine is 5,000 baht.  My friend said he thought it was 2,000 baht.  The immigration officer told him that is the price with no receipt.   He did not get a receipt.

Edited by Jai Dee
Oversized emoticons removed
  • Haha 1

I would opt in paying 5,000 baht every three months instead of wasting my time with reporting. Too bad one can't tell if there will be other consequences than the fine. Eg. more difficult to apply for a permanent residency.

3 minutes ago, rexall said:

This is the first honest thing you have said in this thread; and you are certainly entitled to your preferences for what you would rather focus on and how you would like to come across.  I seem to recall that Nazis, Soviets, Milošević's Serbia and other places were about as white as you can possibly get, but had no compunctions about instituting similar draconian measures regarding freedom movement and privacy as we see in Thailand today. 

As I have said before on these forums, I do a continuing cost-benefit analysis of my situation in Thailand, and if the red line ever tips more to the disadvantages column than the advantages, I out of here, and don't stand in the doorway lest you get trampled on my way out! However, just because I remain here and have things that I like and do not like, that does not mean that  I should shut my mouth and only focus on the things that you prefer me to focus on, thank you very much.  

Everything I've said in this thread is honest, so I'm struggling to see how you assess that is the first honest thing I've said. 

Agree with the fact it's a continual cost/benefit analysis and if it reached a tipping point I'd leave. My question is - what does griping on the internet messageboard achieve? Because I'm not telling you to shut your mouth as you're implying I am, all I'm saying is - has anything changed because you had a whinge on here? TVF has over 200k followers from all walks of life. Why not try and gather momentum and make meaningful change if you're that concerned. It would probably amount to nothing but at least you tried. 

Comparing one small aspect of 2019 Thailand to Nazi Germany, Soviets and Bosnia doesn't lend any credibility to your argument though. Has anyone put you in a concentration camp recently?

7 hours ago, SammyT said:

Do your 90 day check in then, like the rest of us do. It's not rocket science. It's not even particularly hard.  

Do it in person,online or by mail from nearest PO.Seriously I wonder how some people get through life

7 hours ago, SammyT said:

Yes they will. Just the lazy ones won't. My landlords during my time in Thailand have been great, and fully compliant with the law. In return I treat his house with respect. It's a relationship that works well.  

Yes they will but when it suits them and not having to drop everything if they are busy.  Imm. are being really pushy I think, saying it must be done within 24 hours. Many Thais will not like this. My landlady does it but last time it was a few days later, as I needed to go with her to register for the 1st time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nikov said:

I would opt in paying 5,000 baht every three months instead of wasting my time with reporting. Too bad one can't tell if there will be other consequences than the fine. Eg. more difficult to apply for a permanent residency.

You can actually do that.  The fine is a flat rate.  So miss all the days you want, then go in an pay 5 grand.  But if they catch you out, the fine goes up.  How about this? Go into any immigration office and offer to take one of the officers out to lunch.  Suggest that if you do an online bank transfer of 5,000 from your account to his every three months (strictly a gift -- no receipt), then, upon seeing the deposit, he automatically sends you the completed 90 day report slip.  A win win for everybody.  You are happy, the officer is VERY happy.  You never have to go in.

I know another guy that claims that when he goes in for his marriage extension every year, he never has the 400 grand in the bank.  Instead, he stays, he hands over an envelope with 6,000 baht inside in lieu of the bank deposit.  He says he has been doing it for years.  I do not know if it is true.

Personally, I stay squeaky clean.  I go by the book and I neither ask for favors nor pay bribes.  People that do are asking for problems down the road and they'll get no sympathy from me.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

The Consulate I use since 15 years, didn't change nothing in their way to check my income, put lately they put the words "It is hereby certified" in their Letter of Income. 

Everybody happy :

Immigration, me and Consulate (I pay 1500 Thb for this letter). 

That isn't disputed. I'm saying that your Income wasn't verified other than by your say so + whatever evidence you supplied in support.

5 hours ago, SammyT said:

I don't think you understand the true definition of a police state. I've been able to live my life hassle and worry free, throughout all coups and martial law. 

Not all "police states" are alike, and a state does not have to be Nazi Germany to be a police state:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/police-state

police state

noun

a nation in which the police, especially a secret police, summarily suppresses any social,economic, or political act that conflicts with governmental policy.
  • Thanks 1