Immigration busy fining Thais and foreigners - US man pays 5,000 baht fine for not doing 90 day report

webfact

14 minutes ago, essox essox said:

can not one do 90 day report ONLINE????

Why ruin a good bash session with facts? I do it by mail and When it comes back they also send with it all my photocopies and a new form for the next report . I even have a post office in the Condo block, 10 mins work..

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, madmen said:

Why ruin a good bash session with facts? I do it by mail and When it comes back they also send with it all my photocopies and a new form for the next report . I even have a post office in the Condo black, 10 mins work..

This. 

People on here acting like you have to walk up Doi Inthanon to do a 90 day report. My most recent ones have been less than an hour door to door from the time I left home. I could also, as you've pointed out, do it by mail. Either way, it's really not that hard. 

2 minutes ago, SammyT said:

Or just leave if you despise it that much? I presume you hate your home country more? I struggle to see how a 90 day check in is everything to do with revenue when it costs literally nothing if you do it every 90 days. 

It's not the 90 day report alone. It's that Thailand hasn't figured out that maybe there's an easier and more convenient way to establish where someone lives, especially when you've been living in the same damned house for the last 20 years. It's also that foreigners are the ones that are being forced to make the "landlord" comply with the TM-30 report, and that this report has to be refiled everytime you stay overnight in another province. Again, it is the foreigner who most often is being fined if the report is not properly filed, not the landlord. It's also highly aggravating because the 90 day report and TM-30 (both of which are intended to establish where a foreigner is living) are totally redundant forms. One is filed by the foreigner, the other (supposedly filed by a Thai landlord, but more often than not filed by the foreigner as well) is supposed to "confirm" the accuracy of the 90 day report. Because the 90 day report follows a 90 day interval after you enter the country or since your last 90 day report, and the TM-30 report has to be filed within 24 hours of entering the country or following an overnight stay in another province, the filing of these two reports follow separate time tables, and can necessitate incessant reporting to immigration if you travel frequently. Instead of designing a reasonable reporting program which is easy to understand and comply with, immigration has this totally inefficient (not just for foreigners, but for immigration officers) system which is exhausting to comply with, inhibits travel, and results in poor compliance. This poor compliance has provided plenty of opportunities for levying fines and penalties, which unfortunately is why there appears to be little incentive to simplify the system.

23 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Feel the Love and respect for the ex-pat community.

can't you feel it growing,  day by day.

Thailand, Welcomes your wallet, but not you. 

The Thai government do not want westerners living in Thailand anymore.  Their loony requirement to deposit 800,000 in a Thai bank is an example of how to rid westerns from Thailand.  

Westerners tend to pose a problem for police state governments.  Westerners think they are entitled to free speech, right to a fair trial and other crazy ideas, which police states bristle at the mere thought of.  The party is over for westerners.  The Thai leaders would prefer to have Chinese citizens to replace them.  These people are used to living in a restrictive environment. ???? 

11 minutes ago, SammyT said:

This. 

People on here acting like you have to walk up Doi Inthanon to do a 90 day report. My most recent ones have been less than an hour door to door from the time I left home. I could also, as you've pointed out, do it by mail. Either way, it's really not that hard. 

My wife as house owner reports me on my return from overseas

She actually makes a point of it rather than pay the *******ers a satang... her words not mine

Believe me  immigration is disliked as much by Thais as foreigners, i suggest you remove your rose colored googles

14 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

you do realize the wallets leave with the expats?!

no expats, no wallets

They don't consider we contribute any real money to the Thai economy.

Or is just extreme xenophobia,  we are seeing now days.  50/50 i would say.

42 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Because it's the equivalent of going to naples italy, sitting on the beach and a bunch of mafiosi in black suites turn up behind you, it's not you, it's them.

Same kind of people -.- I was really happy when i was in london earlier this year and i could just ask a cop for the way to the next pub and guess what, he said have a good holiday and didnt rob me, it's amazing.

Near end of his shift and no OT allowed on that day.

????????????

1 minute ago, poohy said:

My wife as house owner reports me on my return from overseas

She actually makes a point of it rather than pay the *******ers a satang... her words not mine

Believeme  immigration is disliked as much by Thais as foreigners, i suggest you remove your rose colored googles

I have no reason to have rose coloured goggles - I just don't see the point of most of the moaning expats here who act like the Thai government owes them a favour. We all know what the system is like, but we still make an informed choice to live here.  

Yes, the immigration system isn't perfect. But a 90 day check-in isn't the enormous hassle that 60% of the posters on here are making out like it is. Would I prefer not to do it? Absolutely. Do I have to do it to live here? Absolutely. Is it worth losing sleep and getting angry over something that takes an hour out of my day, once every three months? Absolutely not. 

It just seems some expats find any reason to get angry about things. Me personally, I'd rather focus on the things I like about Thailand and not come across as the bitter man with the "white people smart, Thai people stupid" complex that plenty on here have. 

Immigration could substantially reduce their workload by abolishing the 90 day physical appearance (mine doesn't do online) and granting PR to retired/married/employed residents after three trouble-free years in the Kingdom.

A further incentive would be to include a  'no drink-driving' clause to deter the many that indulge in the practice when they wouldn't dare do it at home.

16 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

Their loony requirement to deposit 800,000 in a Thai bank is an example of how to rid westerns from Thailand.

Permanently in Thailand since 2000, on an extension of stay based on retirement. 

Never, and still don't need any money in a Thai bank account, nor have to transfer monthly a minimum of 65000.

Hundreds (Thousands?) like me are in the same situation.

I don't feel like they are trying to reject me, pretty sure many of the hundreds/thousands feel the same. 

But I can assume the citizens of America, Australia, Great Britain, which embassy don't deliver a Letter of Income/Affidavit anymore feel frustrated, and some blame Thailand for this. 

Went to SIL in a Surin village recently for a few nights. Told her that legally she needed to go into Surin, a 2 hour round trip to fill in a form to tell them she had a foreigner staying, she did not believe me and really thought I was making it up!

5 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Permanently in Thailand since 2000, on an extension of stay based on retirement. 

Never, and still don't need any money in a Thai bank account, nor have to transfer monthly a minimum of 65000.

Hundreds (Thousands?) like me are in the same situation.

I don't feel like they are trying to reject me, pretty sure many of the hundreds/thousands feel the same. 

But I can assume the citizens of America, Australia, Great Britain, which embassy don't deliver a Letter of Income/Affidavit anymore feel frustrated, and some blame Thailand for this. 

yep all true thailand didn't change the rules until forced too after various govs refused to provide the evidence needed by them. they could have just said "your problem" and made everyone affected switch to 800K method (or go home) but came up with another avenue that should only have been a minor inconvenience to those applying within the current rules.

no one is forcing anyone to use it though or making things tougher (more money,etc)

thats my take anyway

This xenophobia is becoming strange with regards to continuously updating your whereabouts. 

Just as a recent comparison, my wife and I lived in England for two years. During those two years in the country she had to go to the immigration office once to show them her UK ID card, letter from her university confirming her attendance and a utility bill with her address on. That was it. 

We have been living back in Bangkok now for under two years. In that time I have been to immigration 3 times and had my passport taken on many other occasions for the 90 day report. I have also had to visit the MoL. And now according to this new rule I should have also informed them about my recent hotel visits to Kanchanaburi and Phuket for weekends away ????.

I would love to know whose idea this is and their justification for it. 

43 minutes ago, SammyT said:

Nope, if you come on an open forum and discuss how much you hate the Thai law enforcement but loved British law enforcement, it's a logical question to ask why you don't leave the country you appear to hate so much. If those sorts of questions bother you, I'd suggest you take your own advice? As you said, it's an open forum. 

Every expat knows the 90 day reporting rule. Some choose to ignore it so immigration target them. It's not really the robbery you suggested. 

No one here said they hate Thailand or thais. Absolutely no one. You just make stuff up.

We dislike corruption. Corruption is cancer.

And no, it's not a logical question at all, it's just a dumbass comment based on assumptions without knowing anyones reason on here to be here.

The thought police is strong today ????

45 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

It's not the 90 day report alone. It's that Thailand hasn't figured out that maybe there's an easier and more convenient way to establish where someone lives, especially when you've been living in the same damned house for the last 20 years. It's also that foreigners are the ones that are being forced to make the "landlord" comply with the TM-30 report, and that this report has to be refiled everytime you stay overnight in another province. Again, it is the foreigner who most often is being fined if the report is not properly filed, not the landlord. It's also highly aggravating because the 90 day report and TM-30 (both of which are intended to establish where a foreigner is living) are totally redundant forms. One is filed by the foreigner, the other (supposedly filed by a Thai landlord, but more often than not filed by the foreigner as well) is supposed to "confirm" the accuracy of the 90 day report. Because the 90 day report follows a 90 day interval after you enter the country or since your last 90 day report, and the TM-30 report has to be filed within 24 hours of entering the country or following an overnight stay in another province, the filing of these two reports follow separate time tables, and can necessitate incessant reporting to immigration if you travel frequently. Instead of designing a reasonable reporting program which is easy to understand and comply with, immigration has this totally inefficient (not just for foreigners, but for immigration officers) system which is exhausting to comply with, inhibits travel, and results in poor compliance. This poor compliance has provided plenty of opportunities for levying fines and penalties, which unfortunately is why there appears to be little incentive to simplify the system.

Nail. On. The. Head. 

5 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

No one here said they hate Thailand or thais. Absolutely no one. You just make stuff up.

We dislike corruption. Corruption is cancer.

And no, it's not a logical question at all, it's just a dumbass comment based on assumptions without knowing anyones reason on here to be here.

The thought police is strong today ????

I'm not talking about just this thread. I'm talking about the general mood of many expats across many threads (abundantly obvious from many of your comments I've seen on other threads). Nevermind though. Let's move on...

2 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

they  keep this up, thai's wont rent to Farangs anymore ;-(

Only the thick ones. Once they realize that only farang's can afford their rentals, registering one's property as a rental home and filing the tenant's presence online will be a minor inconvenience.

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

There are still tons of foreigners who still want to stay long term in Thailand after all these harassment akin to a police state.

Which was the last police state you lived in so that allows you to make such a claim?

Look at those two farmers in the OP picture

You think those guys ever knew they were to report because some never enforced till now

side booked law from 1979??

At the end of the day those two Imm vultures collecting from them are just grabbing beer money

Well I guess they will eat their own too not just falangs ????

3 minutes ago, madmen said:

OP had 21 days to file the report and still fudged it.

Im curious though I thought it was 2k and not 5k

Me too. What's stopping people not bothering & simply paying the fine @ renewal?

(It isn't an 'overstay' as such).

1 hour ago, GeorgeCross said:

no, only when you go back home. the hotel reports your stay comrad

... and if they don't?  (because many smaller hotels don't bother).  Who will they fine?  The hotel owner should be the person paying the fine.  But I bet the immigration guys will come after the foreigner as well.

I recall a number of apologists commenting that the new visa retirement changes disallowing the income letter had nothing to do with xenophobia or a crackdown on farang.  These people are truly delusional.  It's open season on farang lol.

49 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

yep all true thailand didn't change the rules until forced too after various govs refused to provide the evidence needed by them. they could have just said "your problem" and made everyone affected switch to 800K method (or go home) but came up with another avenue that should only have been a minor inconvenience to those applying within the current rules.

no one is forcing anyone to use it though or making things tougher (more money,etc)

thats my take anyway

Thailand demanded cast iron guarantees that couldn't possibly be complied with; not least due to privacy laws in the real world and the increased man hours that would have entailed.

9 minutes ago, mania said:

Look at those two farmers in the OP picture

You think those guys ever knew they were to report because some never enforced till now

side booked law from 1979??

At the end of the day those two Imm vultures collecting from them are just grabbing beer money

Well I guess they will eat their own too not just falangs ????

Yes, because I'm sure when corrupt officials go and shake people down for "beer money", they also take the media with them or release the subsequent photos to the media. That sounds logical. I'd bet my left nut that the farang was issued with a receipt. 

Archived