Immigration busy fining Thais and foreigners - US man pays 5,000 baht fine for not doing 90 day report

webfact

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Only the thick ones. Once they realize that only farang's can afford their rentals, registering one's property as a rental home and filing the tenant's presence online will be a minor inconvenience.

Which was the last police state you lived in so that allows you to make such a claim?

I work in Singapore which is often described as a "Totalitarian State"...

• No reporting of your address apart from informing Ministry of Manpower (via an online site) if you move
  • Work Permits are from 2 - 5 Years with no need to report to anybody except when renewing (Even then it can be done via an Agent so you don't need to visit MoM)
  • SingPass gives you access to all of the government services (Including paying your Income Tax, which you do from the May after the year you earned it) - No need to visit any departments
  • Biometric (Thumb print) Arrival/Departure & no TM6 style Arrival/Departure cards (Even short term visitors can now use Automated Thumb Print gates when departing but need to complete an Arrival Card / see an IO when arriving).
  • Best Airport in the world (Especially for short immigration lines & baggage delivery)

So why is it I spend as much time as I can in my Bangkok Condo (Though have never done a TM30 or 90 Day report)

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Only the thick ones. Once they realize that only farang's can afford their rentals, registering one's property as a rental home and filing the tenant's presence online will be a minor inconvenience.

Which was the last police state you lived in so that allows you to make such a claim?

Spot on to both points. 

People crying "Police state" need to go live in an actual police state before making such a claim. 

All my landlords have told me they like farang tenants because they pay the rent on time and don't generally damage things. I'd say those two points are enough to ensure that Thais will still rent to farang for years to come. 

1 minute ago, Mike Teavee said:
  • Work Permits are from 2 - 5 Years with no need to report to anybody except when renewing (Even then it can be done via an Agent so you don't need to visit MoM)
  •  

Thai work permit is 2 years, and I haven't had to report anything to anyone. It is renewed through an agent. Last time I had to go to the work permit place was when I first got it. 

2 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Best Airport in the world (Especially for short immigration lines & baggage delivery)

I've only been through Changi once, albeit a few years back and I remember backing the wrong horse in the immigration lines and waiting for about an hour. That said, I'm heading through there in a couple of weeks, so looking forward to seeing what it's like, because I've heard good things recently...

1 hour ago, SammyT said:

This. 

People on here acting like you have to walk up Doi Inthanon to do a 90 day report. My most recent ones have been less than an hour door to door from the time I left home. I could also, as you've pointed out, do it by mail. Either way, it's really not that hard. 

My nearest post office is next to the Immigration office and I am currently unable to get the online report working, so I really don’t have any other choice but to do my 90 day report in person at the Immigration office

My local Immigration office (Samutprakarn) is 10 kms way (according to Google maps) and because of long running road works (mainly the new BTS lines) a trip to Immigration can take an hour each way.

As Samutprakarn has many industries, my local Immigration covers office has to process many SEA migrant workers, which leads to longer waiting times, my report took over 2 hours last week.

I have to stop work and waste 4+ hours making this report, something that does not please my employers.

While you may be in the fortunate position of being able to carry out your 90 day report with ease, for some people it really is ‘that hard’.

28 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

yep all true thailand didn't change the rules until forced too after various govs refused to provide the evidence needed by them. they could have just said "your problem" and made everyone affected switch to 800K method (or go home) but came up with another avenue that should only have been a minor inconvenience to those applying within the current rules.

no one is forcing anyone to use it though or making things tougher (more money,etc)

thats my take anyway

Wrong and wrong again. Thai imm demanded (as stated in the previous post) that the various govs could not reasonably provide.  

Imm did not come up with a new avenue to accommodate. The combination method was widely used instead by people who lacked the means or the desire to lend 800K to a Thai bank. 

3 minutes ago, SammyT said:

Spot on to both points. 

People crying "Police state" need to go live in an actual police state before making such a claim. 

All my landlords have told me they like farang tenants because they pay the rent on time and don't generally damage things. I'd say those two points are enough to ensure that Thais will still rent to farang for years to come. 

You are living in a country that has had countless military coups and has operated for years at a time under martial law and you are questioning what is a police state... roflmao

2 minutes ago, SammyT said:

Spot on to both points. 

yes of course they will,   money number one. do you not understand Thailand !!!!!!

But it is still a police state, growing day by day. 

8 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

You are living in a country that has had countless military coups and has operated for years at a time under martial law and you are questioning what is a police state... roflmao

I don't think you understand the true definition of a police state. I've been able to live my life hassle and worry free, throughout all coups and martial law. 

33 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

This xenophobia is becoming strange with regards to continuously updating your whereabouts. 

Just as a recent comparison, my wife and I lived in England for two years. During those two years in the country she had to go to the immigration office once to show them her UK ID card, letter from her university confirming her attendance and a utility bill with her address on. That was it. 

We have been living back in Bangkok now for under two years. In that time I have been to immigration 3 times and had my passport taken on many other occasions for the 90 day report. I have also had to visit the MoL. And now according to this new rule I should have also informed them about my recent hotel visits to Kanchanaburi and Phuket for weekends away ????.

I would love to know whose idea this is and their justification for it. 

Can you say, "Police State."  Thailand is getting more restrictive for westerners every year.  Their message is clear, they would like the westerners to leave Thailand.  The Thai government will keep increasing these restrictive rules until they purge Thailand of these pesky westerners.

6 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

I have to stop work and waste 4+ hours making this report, something that does not please my employers.

Given the 90 day check in rule has been around a while, I'm sure your employers probably knew of the rules when they established your position or hired a westerner, so it would be strange if they were to get too bent out of shape about it. My employers understand the Thai immigration system and afford me all the time I need to ensure I am here legally. They see it as going hand-in-hand with employing a westerner in Thailand. 

7 minutes ago, mania said:

Hahah so says the guy who is the new TV Thai cheerleader here all of 1 year 4 months ????

Enjoy your one nut life

Yawn, not everyone signs up for TVF on their first day in Thailand - I'm sure you can comprehend that. I've lived here significantly longer than I've been a TVF member.

Also, not a Thai cheerleader at all, I just look upon with bemusement westerners who choose to live here but vocally express their hate for the place, the government and the people on a continual basis. If I hated Thailand as much as some here, I'd probably just head back to my home country so I didn't spend my days bitter and angry. Apparently that's not an option for many. 

We've all known about the 90 day rules for some time. I struggle to see how people defend those who breach them, when the rest of us just get on with it and do it. CNX immigration is a lot better now than it was when I first got here, so while I'm not an "imm cheerleader" as you righteously choose to describe me, I will give them credit for making changes that mean I no longer have to line up at stupid o'clock in the morning to get a number, or have to wait a few hours to get re-entry permits or do 90 day check ins. 

1 hour ago, essox essox said:

can not one do 90 day report ONLINE????

NO.  Not if you get a new passport, You must first exit and re-enter the country.

My passport is good for 10 years. or 41 90-day reports.

1 hour ago, SammyT said:

Rubbish. "Maybe he got sick" - for 22 days? You can go 15 days before or 7 days after and still complete the check-in. But you already knew that and that was the best excuse you could come up with for why someone might miss their 90 day check in?

Also, great strawman argument you show there with your suggestion I must enjoy living in a Police state because I pointed out that the 90 day check in isn't that much of an issue if you do it right. Nope, I don't see it as a police state, but then again, I don't see a 30 minute appointment, once every three months as overly restrictive either. Why? Because it's not. 

It always surprises me to see a western expat attempt to justify the restrictive and idiotic rules and regulations on westerners who mistakingly wandered into one of the most restrictive countries in the world to live in.  

Maybe you are not a western but an immigration officer or one of their agents with decent English reading and writing skills.  That would certainly make more sense when I view your Thai immigration apologetic comments.  Your distain for westerners is certainly an eye opener.  

3 minutes ago, SammyT said:

Given the 90 day check in rule has been around a while, I'm sure your employers probably knew of the rules when they established your position or hired a westerner, so it would be strange if they were to get too bent out of shape about it. My employers understand the Thai immigration system and afford me all the time I need to ensure I am here legally. They see it as going hand-in-hand with employing a westerner in Thailand. 

Again you are making presumptions without knowing the reality (or even thinking logically).

I first started working for my company (18 years ago) and the local Immigration office allowed one of our company drivers to take in the 90 day report for me but for the last two years they have insisted that I have to go to the office myself.

Even if I had been carrying out my own reports, back then Samutprakarn Immigration was a lot quieter and a report would take only 10 minutes.

In my original post I also explained about the traffic situation, this was not the case 18 years ago and the journey time was much shorter.

When I first started working for my company I did not have to lose time, as the report was done for me.

If I did have to carry out my own report, back then it would have taken less than an hour, including travel time.

Maybe if you took off your blinkers you would understand that not everyone is in the same position as you.

3 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

It always surprises me to see a western expat attempt to justify the restrictive and idiotic rules and regulations on westerners who... 

It is always interesting to read an opinion. 

2 hours ago, missoura said:

My 90 day was about due so a trip to town was necessary. And I have to admit that my heart did skip a beat upon seeing the paddy wagon and I have been legal for years...

immigration truck.JPG

They're good as gold in Phitsanulok.

15 minutes ago, SammyT said:

Yawn, not everyone signs up for TVF on their first day in Thailand - I'm sure you can comprehend that. I've lived here significantly longer than I've been a TVF member.

Also, not a Thai cheerleader at all, I just look upon with bemusement westerners who choose to live here but vocally express their hate for the place, the government and the people on a continual basis. If I hated Thailand as much as some here, I'd probably just head back to my home country so I didn't spend my days bitter and angry. Apparently that's not an option for many. 

We've all known about the 90 day rules for some time. I struggle to see how people defend those who breach them, when the rest of us just get on with it and do it. CNX immigration is a lot better now than it was when I first got here, so while I'm not an "imm cheerleader" as you righteously choose to describe me, I will give them credit for making changes that mean I no longer have to line up at stupid o'clock in the morning to get a number, or have to wait a few hours to get re-entry permits or do 90 day check ins. 

I no longer have to line up at stupid o'clock in the morning to get a number, or have to wait a few hours to get re-entry permits or do 90 day check ins. 

And yet you fail to accept that others do have to suffer this.

1 minute ago, Bert got kinky said:

Maybe if you took off your blinkers you would understand that not everyone is in the same position as you.

Like that, so much people think that everybody has a hard time with Immigration. 

2 hours ago, brokenbone said:

why not electronic ankle bracelet monitor to go with any kind of visa ?

Why making it so expensive an old fashion ..... just get skin chipped as your cat /dog in the west..:wink:

25 minutes ago, SammyT said:

I don't think you understand the true definition of a police state. I've been able to live my life hassle and worry free, throughout all coups and martial law. 

Step out side the frame work and you would be crushed to the size of an ant.

in double quick time. make no mistake about it. :jap:

This isn't anything new. If you miss your 90 day report then you have to pay a fine. It's always been like this. I missed mine by 2 days once and had to pay 1,500 baht fine. The immigration policeman said that I should not do it again or It could effect my chances in the future of obtaining another visa.

2 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

It always surprises me to see a western expat attempt to justify the restrictive and idiotic rules and regulations on westerners who mistakingly wandered into one of the most restrictive countries in the world to live in.  

Maybe you are not a western but an immigration officer or one of their agents with decent English reading and writing skills.  That would certainly make more sense when I view your Thai immigration apologetic comments.  Your distain for westerners is certainly an eye opener.  

LOL - accuse me of being Thai or an immigration officer because my perspective is different to yours. Nice one. 

Can confirm I'm western, not Thai - have lived here a few years. I'm not necessarily justifying or saying I agree with the rules, but they are rules I knew full well about when I decided to move here for an extended period of time. A quick google search would tell you exactly what the rules and regulations are in regards to Thai immigration laws and procedures. No one can reasonably say they didn't know without coming across as highly ignorant. 

If you "mistakenly" wandered into this country, surely you just wander right back out? Y'all act like you accidentally turned up here expecting you were flying to Spain and you don't have a choice as to whether you live here or not. I can tell you that you do. Every day on here I see the same old people saying "Thailand doesn't want us here, I'm gonna leave/Cambodia looks good right about now" yet months and years later they're still here. Go figure

I make the choice to live here, so I deal with the rules imposed by the Thai government. I'm certainly not an immigration apologist - I guess knowing the rules, choosing to live here and abide by them without whinging too much puts me in a minority for some strange reason.

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree trying to convince people on here that life is a lot easier here when you just abide by the rules that have quite clearly been in place since most of us moved here (check in every 90 days). Moving on. 

12 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

Again you are making presumptions without knowing the reality (or even thinking logically).

I first started working for my company (18 years ago) and the local Immigration office allowed one of our company drivers to take in the 90 day report for me but for the last two years they have insisted that I have to go to the office myself.

Even if I had been carrying out my own reports, back then Samutprakarn Immigration was a lot quieter and a report would take only 10 minutes.

In my original post I also explained about the traffic situation, this was not the case 18 years ago and the journey time was much shorter.

"Man moves to growing Asian hub and is surprised that traffic has got worse and rules have changed in two decades"

Now who isn't being logical here.

3 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

they  keep this up, thai's wont rent to Farangs anymore ;-(

Excellent point!  And farang won't bother with Thailand anymore, I am sure many are not already as they make arrangements to leave this xenophobic country for good! 

I've got another question about this topic. I live with my legal Thai wife in her home. I do my 90 day reports religously. Is she supposed to do this TM-30 report or is that only if she's renting to a non-related foriegner? We been here for thw last 19 years and have never heard anything about the TM30 until yesterday while reading this thread.

Archived