Immigration busy fining Thais and foreigners - US man pays 5,000 baht fine for not doing 90 day report

webfact

My last 90 day report made at Phuket immi, I spent a total of 17 seconds at the drive through window from open to hand in my passport to getting it back with a new advice notice stapled in it.

Now this drive-through has had a possitive effect on the quick processing of the 90 day reports here.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

they  keep this up, thai's wont rent to Farangs anymore ;-(

Very true already where I stay they won’t have any foreigners and I myself have to do the checkins I’m only there still because I’ve been there years and I do my own checks or pay the fines.

2 minutes ago, paulbrow said:

I've got another question about this topic. I live with my legal Thai wife in her home. I do my 90 day reports religously. Is she supposed to do this TM-30 report or is that only if she's renting to a non-related foriegner?

Yes, she has to report you every time you come back from somewhere else and stayed there for 24hours+. She has 24hours todo so after you returned to her home.

This is also the case for every foreign guest that visits her/you there and stays overnight.

40 minutes ago, SammyT said:

Yawn, not everyone signs up for TVF on their first day in Thailand - I'm sure you can comprehend that. I've lived here significantly longer than I've been a TVF member.

Also, not a Thai cheerleader at all, I just look upon with bemusement westerners who choose to live here but vocally express their hate for the place, the government and the people on a continual basis. If I hated Thailand as much as some here, I'd probably just head back to my home country so I didn't spend my days bitter and angry. Apparently that's not an option for many. 

We've all known about the 90 day rules for some time. I struggle to see how people defend those who breach them, when the rest of us just get on with it and do it. CNX immigration is a lot better now than it was when I first got here, so while I'm not an "imm cheerleader" as you righteously choose to describe me, I will give them credit for making changes that mean I no longer have to line up at stupid o'clock in the morning to get a number, or have to wait a few hours to get re-entry permits or do 90 day check ins. 

Making rational observations and expressing your opinion does not make you bitter or a hater.  Some people simply believe in human rights, fair play and democracy.  Obviously others are happy to quietly shut up and let the chips fall where they may and continue to view their world through rose colored glasses.

17 minutes ago, SammyT said:

"Man moves to growing Asian hub and is surprised that traffic has got worse and rules have changed in two decades"

Now who isn't being logical here.

Surprised that rules have changed, please confirm for me that you would be willing to accept any rule changes, no matter what they were.

At the moment you are happy to defend the rules because they have little effect on you but what will you do when the new rules start buggering about with your life?

Besides, over and again in this thread you have stated that everyone knew the rules when they got here (you even included my employers in this) and then go on to talk about rule changes.

How could everyone have known the rules if they have changed?

Foreginers plus Thai should follow the law, but what makes me laugh is the fact that Thai created this mess, lawlessness, as with mostly everthing; just look out onto the roads, in the first place simply for greed. They can only blame their own actions. 

The Thai saying goes "NO PROBLEM, CAN DO EVERYTHING". 555! LOL!

Nothing lasts. The bubble is deflating. The dream is coming to an end...

3 hours ago, lazeeboy said:

I was registered and stayed at a hotel one night next 90 day report fined 1600 baht 

That has nothing to do with a 90 day report. that is because you didn't do your tm.30

30 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Yes, she has to report you every time you come back from somewhere else and stayed there for 24hours+. She has 24hours todo so after you returned to her home.

This is also the case for every foreign guest that visits her/you there and stays overnight.

It depends which immigration office you are reporting to. some do not require a new TM 30 if the person has not actually left the country.

21 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

Surprised that rules have changed, please confirm for me that you would be willing to accept any rule changes, no matter what they were.

At the moment you are happy to defend the rules because they have little effect on you but what will you do when the new rules start buggering about with your life?

Besides, over and again in this thread you have stated that everyone knew the rules when they got here (you even included my employers in this) and then go on to talk about rule changes.

How could everyone have known the rules if they have changed?

I think that anyone who moves to a growing country can expect that there will be rule changes. There have been material rule changes in my time here (which is considerably shorter than yours), so I don't get why you'd expect to move to a country and stay for 18 years, yet still be surprised and outraged when the rules change?

I would accept rule changes which don't materially affect me or my liberties. For example, I'm okay with 90 day check ins, visa process changes etc - they're an annoyance, but don't take up too much of my time in the scheme of things. If suddenly travel restrictions, for examples, were placed on foreigners or they moved from 90 day check ins to 7 days check ins or something like that, then perhaps I would decide Thailand is no longer the place for me, and, *shock horror*, I would leave. 

Like I said earlier, people are acting in this thread like they don't have any other places in the world they can live (the most obvious choice being their home countries, but there are also other places). Ultimately as a non-Thai citizen, nothing is guaranteed in terms of living arrangements, and everyone knows that when they come here. That's the same in any country, to a degree. In my home country, visas can and do get pulled out from under people when their circumstances change. I liked the idea that someone mentioned earlier about PR being offered for people with Thai wives who have been married x amount of years with no issues - it wouldn't affect me, but it would certainly clear a lot of people's issues up. If people feel strongly enough about it (which they clearly do on here), I'd be interested to know what sort of advocacy is being done outside of this messageboard. 

12 minutes ago, Seismic said:

The question is, why was the American fined 5000 baht, when the fine for not doing your 90 day report is only 2000 baht ???????

Because he was done for not doing the TM30. 

Get up against the wall Foreigner, get your papers out.

they better be in order.

Welcome to Thailand. have a nice day.

43 minutes ago, paulbrow said:

I've got another question about this topic. I live with my legal Thai wife in her home. I do my 90 day reports religously. Is she supposed to do this TM-30 report or is that only if she's renting to a non-related foriegner? We been here for thw last 19 years and have never heard anything about the TM30 until yesterday while reading this thread.

Short answer YES!

mine never heard of it either but the option of doing it or paying a fine(paid from either me or her)galvanized her.

Her simply attitude pay nothing to Immigration /Government as they give me nothing! 

A few beers activate entertaining  rants of how she is funding  Little P and his mates plus other unmentionable unquestionables!

24 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

For those that do NOT know, YOU can file a TM-30 as "POSSESSOR"_ strike out the other two titles on the signature line.

I did my 90 day report after returning from OS, and a TM-30 at the same time. Fined 800bht for not filing TM-30 within 24 hrs after arrival, which I thought was fare as it could have been up to 2000bht.

Besides the TM-30 form and copies of owner's House book and ID card, there was another NEW form, duplicated in a book, had to be signed by the owner as well. The IO said my GF who was present, could copy the signature of the owner, on the form. IO promoted forgery..

I now have an undated extra copy of everything so I can do another TM-30 when necessary without the owner having to visit me again and do same same again.

You are suggesting that if I strike the form as POSSESSOR that I personally could do the complete TM-30 paperwork without involving the landlady? I'd presume that just with a copy of my current lease, that would suffice? Anything else that's required? 

Yesterday I went to Chaeng Wattana immigration office to do my extention of stay for 1 year. 

They asked me if I had the 90 days report which I had then they asked me to go to desk "B" to check if I was registered in the computer for notification of return from overseas trip to immigration?  I was not registered into the computer even if my landlady says that she has already registered all foreigners in this building, I was fined 800 Baht.  Last time I had left for 1 week overseas was in 2017...

Apparently in the future I have to return to immigration at Chaeng Wattana to register my travel overseas within 5 days of my return, failing that I will have to pay again a fine of 800 Baht.  This is for each travel overseas!

Who will do this knowing that only a trip to Chaeng Wattana involves waiting in line for approximatively 4 hours to enter the building and another 1 hour to register my trip at counter "B"?  This is if you leave home very early in the morning at around 6 AM!  Transportation by Taxi is 600 Baht.

This is outrageous, not unlike wearing an electronic bracelet around the leg as they do for criminals on house arrest. 

Everybody yesterday that went to Chaeng Wattana were fine 800 THB for not being registered in the place of domicile computer at counter "B" or failing to draw a map of our place of stay location..

4 minutes ago, CALSinCM said:

Ubonjoe.

When did the fine for failing to file a 90 day report increase from 2000 THB to 5000 THB?  I had not heard of that change.

• If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying the Immigration Bureau or notifying the Immigration Bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000.- Baht will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, will be fined 5,000.- Baht and with an additional fine not exceeding 200.- Baht for each day which passes until the law is complied with.

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=90days

same for tm30 btw.

one of the problems with having a Thai landlord, is they do not want to have anything to do with the government, in case they have to pay tax. That can leave you up the creek. I have lived at the same address for 14 years. No problems until this year, when I presented a new passport. IO wanted a new form TM 28/30, refusing to simply staple the old one into the new passport. However he was very reasonable, by allowing me to fill in both forms. When it came time for the landlady to sign (she not being present) -  I asked what to do. ''Up to you'' I signed with my best impression of a Thai squiggle - and he said ''OK''.  

1 hour ago, Bert got kinky said:

My nearest post office is next to the Immigration office and I am currently unable to get the online report working, so I really don’t have any other choice but to do my 90 day report in person at the Immigration office

Do you have a wife/gf/bf? If so, use them.

8 minutes ago, yimlitnoy said:

Yesterday I went to Chaeng Wattana immigration office to do my extention of stay for 1 year. 

They asked me if I had the 90 days report which I had then they asked me to go to desk "B" to check if I was registered in the computer for notification of return from overseas trip to immigration?  I was not registered into the computer even if my landlady says that she has already registered all foreigners in this building, I was fined 800 Baht.  Last time I had left for 1 week overseas was in 2017...

Apparently in the future I have to return to immigration at Chaeng Wattana to register my travel overseas within 5 days of my return, failing that I will have to pay again a fine of 800 Baht.  This is for each travel overseas!

Who will do this knowing that only a trip to Chaeng Wattana involves waiting in line for approximatively 4 hours to enter the building and another 1 hour to register my trip at counter "B"?  This is if you leave home very early in the morning at around 6 AM!  Transportation by Taxi is 600 Baht.

This is outrageous, not unlike wearing an electronic bracelet around the leg as they do for criminals on house arrest. 

Everybody yesterday that went to Chaeng Wattana were fine 800 THB for not being registered in the place of domicile computer at counter "B" or failing to draw a map of our place of stay location..

If the land lady has access to the online system then get her to do a TM30 each time you go overseas. Or sign up yourself for the online system. 

4 hours ago, SammyT said:

Do your 90 day check in then, like the rest of us do. It's not rocket science. It's not even particularly hard.  

It's not hard, but sometime we can forget as me. 8 Days late: fined 2000 Baht.

21 minutes ago, yimlitnoy said:

internet, mail??

4 hours ago, missoura said:

My 90 day was about due so a trip to town was necessary. And I have to admit that my heart did skip a beat upon seeing the paddy wagon and I have been legal for years...

immigration truck.JPG

You didn't have any problems with the P/lok office, did you? 

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

There are still tons of foreigners who still want to stay long term in Thailand after all these harassment akin to a police state.

Some are stuck with a family or job. Others are feeding addictions. 

4 minutes ago, Borzandy said:

It's not hard, but sometime we can forget as me. 8 Days late: fined 2000 Baht.

Get a calendar on your smart phone or use the calendar that comes with your email provider. That's how the rest of the world manages appointments. Why give away 2k !

In Kanju sub-district of Muang, Petchabun three Thai householders were fined a total of 6,000 baht for failing to report foreigners staying at their addresses in contravention of Article 38, 1979. 

An American was fined 5,000 baht for not completing a 90 day report contrary to Article 37 (5), 1979. 

Yet a Thai male who failed to follow road rules, caught on CCTV by the police, initially denied it until shown the CCTV results. Managed to do 50,000 baht damage to two vehicles gets a fine of JUST 500 baht for wasting police time? Looking above at many thousands for not reporting makes a mockery of what they call law.

Archived