Immigration busy fining Thais and foreigners - US man pays 5,000 baht fine for not doing 90 day report

webfact

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, The Preacher said:

You can actually do that.  The fine is a flat rate.  So miss all the days you want, then go in an pay 5 grand.  But if they catch you out, the fine goes up.  How about this? Go into any immigration office and offer to take one of the officers out to lunch.  Suggest that if you do an online bank transfer of 5,000 from your account to his every three months (strictly a gift -- no receipt), then, upon seeing the deposit, he automatically sends you the completed 90 day report slip.  A win win for everybody.  You are happy, the officer is VERY happy.  You never have to go in.

I know another guy that claims that when he goes in for his marriage extension every year, he never has the 400 grand in the bank.  Instead, he stays, he hands over an envelope with 6,000 baht inside in lieu of the bank deposit.  He says he has been doing it for years.  I do not know if it is true.

Personally, I stay squeaky clean.  I go by the book and I neither ask for favors nor pay bribes.  People that do are asking for problems down the road and they'll get no sympathy from me.

The immigration officer is happy and you are happy UNTIL you both are caught as nothing last for ever which means he loose his job and your visa will be annulled - not a wise thing to do if you are looking for a happy ending ... :shock1:

So yes - as you said, you have all to win and nothing to lose by doing it the correct way from the very beginning ... :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, SammyT said:

This. 

People on here acting like you have to walk up Doi Inthanon to do a 90 day report. My most recent ones have been less than an hour door to door from the time I left home. I could also, as you've pointed out, do it by mail. Either way, it's really not that hard. 

I find it hard because I wasn't used to being treated like a criminal till I came here.

I thought the maximum fine for not reporting on 90 day was 2,000 baht .
They make a difference between going there yourself and reporting to them and you getting caught outside of the immi office.
First one is 2000 thb, second is 5000. Same for tm30 reports.

It's written down on the bangkok immigration website this way.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, tlandtday said:

I recall a number of apologists commenting that the new visa retirement changes disallowing the income letter had nothing to do with xenophobia or a crackdown on farang.  These people are truly delusional.  It's open season on farang lol.

Forgive them, for they know not what they do... 

7 hours ago, SammyT said:

Surely move to London then, if you love it that much? Or would you rather stay here and complain about everything, just because the cost of living and the cost of romance is cheaper? Take the good with the bad, my friend. 

"Surely move to London then, if you love it that much?"

Nowhere is perfect, so someone along the line is bound to complain about something - that doesn't mean that they should be given the "if you don't like it, go home" ultimatum.

And I do not see the logic in the following comment:-

"complain about everything, just because the cost of living and the cost of romance is cheaper?"

Surely you mean "even though" rather than "just because"?

2 hours ago, SFO2BKK said:

At immigration they told me I can register myself on line and do my own reports, which since I travel a lot, I do not trust my landlord to do. Trying to do that now. So there is an online option for doing the notification of residence. 

I rent a house. I looked at the online registration for filing the TM 30. Under foreigner living in a house, there are only two options for registration: either you are a) the owner or b) the House-master. I'm not sure what the latter is, but it still requires you to submit ownership documents and the registered house number. Sounds like an employ of the owner, rather than a renter, to me. My landlady is 72 years old and has Parkinson's. I can't believe they want to make her travel from Phutthamonthon to Chaeng Wattana and sit/stand in line for four or five hours. What I have decided to do is go ahead and have her fill out a TM 30 hardcopy, send it by mail, and offer to pay any fine they might come up with. Although I "think" I did a TM 30 back in 2015. Since then, I've not traveled anywhere out the province for over 24 hours except for a trip to Singapore. I still think this is nothing but another revenue catcher they've just discovered. If so, they'll never let it go.

7 hours ago, SammyT said:

Do your 90 day check in then, like the rest of us do. It's not rocket science. It's not even particularly hard.  

You are absolutely right but the fines are ridiculous considering the offence;  especially for long term residents  that may forget sometimes even if they use the same address for 20 years !

But, as you remark is xcorrect  , the law is the law and no common sense in the application is needed.

12 minutes ago, zydeco said:

I rent a house. I looked at the online registration for filing the TM 30. Under foreigner living in a house, there are only two options for registration: either you are a) the owner or b) the House-master. I'm not sure what the latter is, but it still requires you to submit ownership documents and the registered house number. Sounds like an employ of the owner, rather than a renter, to me. My landlady is 72 years old and has Parkinson's. I can't believe they want to make her travel from Phutthamonthon to Chaeng Wattana and sit/stand in line for four or five hours. What I have decided to do is go ahead and have her fill out a TM 30 hardcopy, send it by mail, and offer to pay any fine they might come up with. Although I "think" I did a TM 30 back in 2015. Since then, I've not traveled anywhere out the province for over 24 hours except for a trip to Singapore. I still think this is nothing but another revenue catcher they've just discovered. If so, they'll never let it go.

You may need to use another browser as there are more than the 2 options you mention , if you scroll down.

image.png.5dc9945a4194cecf7dca3e639e57e5d7.png

A group of us used to jump in our trucks and cars and have a travel around two or or three times a month or just when we got bored until they started this b*llox. I am saving on average around twenty to thirty thousand baht a month on hotels ,diesel ,meals ect. So are the others plus I was going to buy a new truck last year but didn't bother as I don't need it now. We all got sick of an extra three days month wasted in a cramped immigration office

6 hours ago, SammyT said:

I have no reason to have rose coloured goggles - I just don't see the point of most of the moaning expats here who act like the Thai government owes them a favour. We all know what the system is like, but we still make an informed choice to live here.  

Yes, the immigration system isn't perfect. But a 90 day check-in isn't the enormous hassle that 60% of the posters on here are making out like it is. Would I prefer not to do it? Absolutely. Do I have to do it to live here? Absolutely. Is it worth losing sleep and getting angry over something that takes an hour out of my day, once every three months? Absolutely not. 

It just seems some expats find any reason to get angry about things. Me personally, I'd rather focus on the things I like about Thailand and not come across as the bitter man with the "white people smart, Thai people stupid" complex that plenty on here have. 

Lucky you, yes it only takes you an hour once every 3 months, it doesn't take me that long as I am close to my immigration office, but I have friends that have to take the best part of a day to do the 90 Day report, it also costs in fuel & wear and tear on their vehicles, one friend was very unlucky and got rear ended at a set of lights one time.

He can't do 90 days online as he has no idea about the internet and stuff like that.

And anyway, the 90 days and TM30 are archaic and outdated, lastly, stop being another Thai apologist like others on here, my Thai daughter in law works in the UK, never has this shit to deal with. When will you idiots wake up !!

8 hours ago, EricTh said:

There are still tons of foreigners who still want to stay long term in Thailand after all these harassment akin to a police state.

What exactly are these "harassment akin to a police state" that you are mentioning about?

5 hours ago, SammyT said:

Given the 90 day check in rule has been around a while, I'm sure your employers probably knew of the rules when they established your position or hired a westerner, so it would be strange if they were to get too bent out of shape about it. My employers understand the Thai immigration system and afford me all the time I need to ensure I am here legally. They see it as going hand-in-hand with employing a westerner in Thailand. 

When I start my own police state, I am going to make sure it is filled with lots of people like you who will bend over and take whatever I care to dish out! :cheesy:

2 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Lucky you, yes it only takes you an hour once every 3 months, it doesn't take me that long as I am close to my immigration office, but I have friends that have to take the best part of a day to do the 90 Day report, it also costs in fuel & wear and tear on their vehicles, one friend was very unlucky and got rear ended at a set of lights one time.

He can't do 90 days online as he has no idea about the internet and stuff like that.

And anyway, the 90 days and TM30 are archaic and outdated, lastly, stop being another Thai apologist like others on here, my Thai daughter in law works in the UK, never has this shit to deal with. When will you idiots wake up !!

Well then... all foreigners in Thailand should choose to move to the UK to avoid "this shit to deal with" and to get away from sleeping idiots! 

I think this is more common out in the small provinces , where the local police are told to do it. THey will find the few farangs that live there, 

In Chonburi/Pattaya not that many reports about this, the immigration officials are just happy to get money from the agents .  

1 minute ago, ravip said:

What exactly are these "harassment akin to a police state" that you are mentioning about?

I think he means there is no central database or listing for the specific requirements of each office.  The uncertainty of this drives a lot of old people insane or causes nervous disabilities.  You can see this in the attitude of TV posters.  

It would be simple to alleviate by posting a list of the requirements and costs of all the Immigration services by office on line from the government or perhaps some smart entrepreneur could start a website called "Getting a Thai Visa" or something like that and post the requirements of each office without trying to make money from the insecurities of the old fellas.    

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Very naive uneducated comments.

There are many factors related to the traffic deaths here.  Few of them are related to the police "enforcing road safety".

The no seatbelt, no helmet blah blah.  There are checkpoints set up all over the popular cities enforcing this.  It is big money for the Thai police as they get a "bonus" at the end of each month for the number of paid citations written.  So in fact, there is tremendous incentive for them to "enforce the law". 

But of course, then all the whiners regarding these police check points will complain and cry about why the police are not out "stopping real crime".

But hey, when in doubt blame it on the police.

Certainly a world wide small box phenomenon..,

Naive? After 12 years living here there’s not much I don’t know about this s***hole. The only reason I’m still here at all is to please my wife, who likes to be near her children and grandchildren.

3 minutes ago, Stoker58 said:

Naive? After 12 years living here there’s not much I don’t know about this s***hole. The only reason I’m still here at all is to please my wife, who likes to be near her children and grandchildren.

If you refer to Thailand as a, "s***hole" I think you know very little about the country.  I know hundreds of Pinoys, Cambodians, Burmese, Laotians, Australians and Brits who are trying desperately to stay here instead of going home.   Perhaps they know much that you don't.  Just a thought to consider.  

8 hours ago, SammyT said:

Do your 90 day check in then, like the rest of us do. It's not rocket science. It's not even particularly hard.  

I have just got back from doing my 90 day report, lovely people at the immigration office kind polite and very helpful. I have a problem with walking and a few months ago the road was closed outside the offices, i was in a bit of a state when i at last got there. The lady office noticed this and i explained the problem. When i got all my papers back she took me by the arm to the pickup and drove me back to mine, saying ''we have to help our friends''. Let's see what the bashers have to say about that.

9 minutes ago, Stoker58 said:

Yawwnnn..everybody says that. I would get <deleted> out if not for ..( insert BS excuse here)

If you really wanted out you grab your wife and take her to first world, give 2 trips a year back home for as long as she wants. :coffee1:

90 day check ins are no big deal to me. Gives me a reason to go to

tne big city. Better tan complaining like your on the rag when everyone has done 90 day check ins. You can build a relationship with IMO. Most are retired .... take life easy. 

I saw one guy trying to tell them he was only doing a visa run they kept asking for his address.  He said I am not staying. They said the same words over and over.

Last time I went I saw a black guy speaking to the officer in English (better than the officer) he wanted her to speak to someone on his phone.  All the officers were laughing at him and then a policeman appeared from nowhere.  I went off to the toilet but when I came he had gone.  Disgusting people.

2 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

90 day check ins are no big deal to me. Gives me a reason to go to

tne big city. Better tan complaining like your on the rag when everyone has done 90 day check ins. You can build a relationship with IMO. Most are retired .... take life easy. 

Oh dear. When the hilight of my three months becomes a trip to the big city.......

Once the army came to eat at the same trough as police and government officials they found masses of swill in it which wasn't theirs before- so now with three groups troughing together, more money has to be found to feed everyone. Hence the milk cow farangs are the closest to and easiest target to hit first. With the triumphant election of the Good General, I wouldn't expect it to go away anytime soon. The TM30 rental shake-out is almost an evil genius move to poke their noses where they didn't before and smell the cash. Johnny Walker Black Label, mia nois and VIP Poseidon cards all round ! 

8 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Feel the Love and respect for the ex-pat community.

can't you feel it growing,  day by day.

Thailand, Welcomes your wallet, but not you. 

As ex work colleague in Bangkok, has been here 25 years.

Says, "Thanks for the contribution".

There's always been something you have to pay for...

8 hours ago, SammyT said:

Wow, amazing display of compassion. The fella has already paid 5000 baht for his education, no need for your lecture.

I hope that all this BS has settled down before I arrive in October, I am tempted to ask my host make a TM30 and send it to immigration unsolicited. Last year the big cheese was Big Joke, now he has been fired from the police.   Agents didn’t go out of business but we are stuck with a bunch of new restrictions imposed by him on our incomes and deposits. 

Archived