Entitlement, privilege and utter rudeness.

Dexlowe

If there's one thing I have zero tolerance for it's rude people. Some seem to think it's their right to have their demands met instantly, without waiting politely like the rest of us. Sub species like shop assistants are expected to jump and other inferiors must step aside so they can go first.

I was at a fast-food place last night and in the middle of giving my order, when a woman with kid in tow talked right over the top of me to the assistant, as if I was not there - or maybe, being a foreigner, I was an unworthy. Let me describe this woman: about 30, nicely dressed and coiffed, well spoken and with educated English (her kid spoke perfect English - there was no Thai spoken between them), clearly upper middle class (hate to use "class", but sometimes it helps with description). Before she had got more than a few words out, I turned on her and, with a heavy, frustrated sigh said "Oh please". I said she was not being polite, that it was rude to talk over the top of people like that. She replied that she only wanted to talk to the assistant, and I snapped back that there were two other assistants standing there that she could talk to and to show some respect for others in future. She was quite taken aback at being admonished like this, as people with privilege like her expect inferiors to be krieng jai. She did apologise, to her credit, but I couldn't help thinking what an example she must be setting for her kid: "We are well-off, therefore entitled."

This is their country...they can and will be rude given the opportunity...sometimes I patiently wait my turn...other times I resume my rightful place in line...much to their dismay...

My favorite is the full sized truck and SUV drivers...try to intimidate because they have the larger vehicle...I move their butts back to their side of the road by moving my vehicle to the middle...if the try to intimidate by moving within a few feet of my bumper...I break hard and let them pee their pants...????

8 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

This is their country...they can and will be rude given the opportunity...sometimes I patiently wait my turn...other times I resume my rightful place in line...much to their dismay...

My favorite is the full sized truck and SUV drivers...try to intimidate because they have the larger vehicle...I move their butts back to their side of the road by moving my vehicle to the middle...if the try to intimidate by moving within a few feet of my bumper...I break hard and let them pee their pants...????

Don't forget, there are 10,000,000 yes, ten million privately owned guns in Thailand!

I've encountered similar situation, but its a rare less than once a year occurrence and for the most part the staff handle things very well themselves so we don't have to get involved. 

- Only once I've had to tell the staff... "No you don't serve him next, I was next in line and then another person (pointing to the other person) was behind me" I was in a McDonalds (with my Son)... the Thai guy (*looking low to middle class) who'd tried to push in was upset and stormed outside the shop, then started giving me the bird through the window, so funny and childish. 

(*if we're going to class on this)

- A poor person trying to push in, in front of me at 7-11, whose staff just ignore them and serve me before them. 

- Another poor person pushing in, in front of me, again at a 7-11, I tap them on the shoulder and point to the back of the line, they move to the back. 

- An Indian lady checking in, in KL for a flight to Bangkok, she's in front of me but then invites 8 or so friends to join her. I tell her its just her in front of me, or if she wants all of her friends to join her she moves to the back of the line, she moves behind me (in front of the Thai lady behind me) I say no, back of the line behind the Thai lady. The Thai lady thanks me. 

- A Thai lady (middle-upper class, just excited a chauffeur driven Toyota Alphard) comes into the shop in Bangkok, talks straight away (in Thai) asking for her order, the order is not ready, she admonishes the staff (and thrown in some English, I suspect for my my benefit). The staff are apologetic, she is rude. Then demands her order is dealt with there and then. The staff tell her that she will have to wait behind me, then the person who is behind me... She's not pleased, then the staff talk to me and ask what I am after, we converse in Thai, the woman, while angry starts to look a little sheepish for her outburst (she was partly right to be upset if she'd ordered ahead of time (it was a large order), but her outburst showed a sense of entitlement). 

11 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Come on boys your days are so boring that you are worried about some thai trying to cut in line. Then of course the message is they all do it.

I guess being in the CIA is much more exciting. I can see you twitching on your barstool.

40 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

for the most part the staff handle things very well themselves so w

I'm not so sure about that, mate. Before they react they first have to factor in krieng jai and then assess the persons they are dealing with. Most shop assistants (especially in fast-food outlets) are passive, trained to obey and not think and generally of a lower social standing than the lady in my incident. So there are a lot of confusing forces around them.

2 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Thai road behaviour is bad enough without westerners adding to it with that sort of conduct. You are as much a danger as most of the Thai drivers on the road.

As the well known phrase goes "Sh*t happens" , its only a problem if you allow it to be.

Your values/manners may not be theirs, but trying to educate/correct some people may prove problematic. 

I've had Thai people trying to cut in front of me at 7/11.  Before I have a chance to tell them in Thai that I'm there first, the young check-out girls always tell them that she's serving me.

Break checking some idiot Thai driver who is tail-gating or driving like a di..ck he..ad is a very stupid thing to do. Swallow your wounded pride pull over and let them pass and you will live long and prosper. Otherwise you run the very real risk of being shot at. Seems like a pretty easy choice IMO.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, lipflipper said:

Break checking some idiot Thai driver who is tail-gating or driving like a di..ck he..ad is a very stupid thing to do. Swallow your wounded pride pull over and let them pass and you will live long and prosper. Otherwise you run the very real risk of being shot at. Seems like a pretty easy choice IMO.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

There are different degrees of 'brake-checking'.... 

Applying the brakes and slowing suddenly to 'scare' the tailgating vehicle behind is stupid and dangerous. 

However, lightly 'touching the brake pedal' to illuminate the brake lights without slowing the vehicle is a reasonable option to warn the car behind that its too close. 

When excessively tailgated I just get out of the way.... but, when I can't I put on my hazard lights, if that doesn't work I wash my windscreen repeatedly and have a little fun as the wipers come on on tailgating vehicle.... and failing all of that I lightly 'touch' the brake pedal to illuminate the brake lights without slowing the vehicle.

Usually, its is only touching the brake pedal which works... Those tailgating are idiots... but really, there are so many idiots on the roads now its become the norm and none of it really bothers me, with a few exceptions for the most its just innocent ignorance of those who are genuinely unaware of the risks they are presenting. 

On 6/13/2019 at 10:22 AM, Puchaiyank said:

Genius move... Hello Kitty in his Honda Jazz braking hard in front of a full size truck or SUV... it'll be you peeing your pants when you get shunted off the road by the tailgating truck who's driver is too busy exfoliating his nostrils to see you brake and react in time.... 

Who do you think would really come off worse?

Showing your brake lights = acceptable. Braking Hard to scare the driver behind = total dick move.

Tailgating is dangerous and stupid ....

drivers think they are fine when only meters away from the car in front, however if the driver in front slams on the brakes the tailgater will almost certainly smash into the front car.

Archived