Pond pump!

Tagged

I just cant get my centrifugal pump primed, and now Im wondering if I should buy a new one. Maybe gasolin one! 

Any idea or suggestions what to do, or buy? 

I have to move water 120 meter horisontal and about 10 meter elevation.

E230516A-13E9-429C-ADDF-C5CC8E66F962.jpeg

A gasoline pump would be a lot safer than having electrical

cables strewn across the field,electrics and water are not

a good mix,just the other day a German guy died messing

about with his pump. P.S. you would need bigger pipes,1.5 -2 Inch

regards Worgeordie

Nothing wrong with an electric pump when installed correctly. A gasoline pump will do for your application. Wife got this as an anniversary gift???? from a DIY store for 4800 baht. As for electric as I said if installed correctly it is ok and safe. Do not let negative comments put you off. The pump you show is to small. Take a look my thread 

This is the anniversary gift.

image.png.52d71f7ff6128a6dd685a3f26ec277e1.png

hello....the type of pump that you have pictured do not have great suction characteristics. 

even where your suction pipe goes down and up again invites that pump to create a suction air block.

have you filled the suction pipe completely with water before turning the pump on. also do you have a foot valve on the end of the suction line.....

you will find near all of the petrol pumps are self priming and also high discharge capacity....there may be a problem with the outlet pipe being too small diameter.....but try it first and see for yourself....the self primers are very robust pump....you will not do any damage to it...

Mate, that dog just ain't going to hunt, you need a bigger pump,

You mention elevation of 10m, if that is on the suction side that is a fair lift, moveing the water 120m is the least of your problems. Have you the chance to move the little pump closer to your water supply?

Not sure where your elect supply is but extension cords will also reduce the efficiency of the pump in your photo.

An irrigation supplier will be able to point you in the right direction and I would be inclined to go for a transportable gasoline motor/pump combination. That way you can take it home when done.

Your biggest vairable is the lift capacity. The coefficient of friction is another consideration but at 120m is of less importance and 32 mm poly pipe would be OK in this situation.

56 minutes ago, John P Ryke said:

hello....the type of pump that you have pictured do not have great suction characteristics. 

even where your suction pipe goes down and up again invites that pump to create a suction air block.

have you filled the suction pipe completely with water before turning the pump on. also do you have a foot valve on the end of the suction line.....

you will find near all of the petrol pumps are self priming and also high discharge capacity....there may be a problem with the outlet pipe being too small diameter.....but try it first and see for yourself....the self primers are very robust pump....you will not do any damage to it...

At the moment, it is less than one meter down to water surface on suction side, I have primed the low pressure side, but it only pumps for 30 sec before it cavicates. 

The pump should be able to lift 20 meter on the high pressure side, so Im not sure if this going to work. I was thinking placing a tank next to it and have double connections with valve for self priming when start?

I also primed the pump as well after filling the low pressure hose to the valve before the pump before hooking it on. It starts pumping, and then no success. 

1 hour ago, khwaibah said:

Nothing wrong with an electric pump when installed correctly. A gasoline pump will do for your application. Wife got this as an anniversary gift???? from a DIY store for 4800 baht. As for electric as I said if installed correctly it is ok and safe. Do not let negative comments put you off. The pump you show is to small. Take a look my thread 

This is the anniversary gift.

image.png.52d71f7ff6128a6dd685a3f26ec277e1.png

I need to try one more time. Thank you 

You may still have air in the suction side,i normally prime 3 or 4 times to get the air out.

Other than that you are leaking air somewhere on the suction side.

Or your foot valve is not sealing correctly or not opening.

You've got about 1m of PVC pipe on the suction then a flexible hose connected. Unless the flexible hose is steel wire reinforced suction hose it's going to pull flat somewhere. That or as FJ says, the tiniest leak of air on the suction hose will not prime. Move the pump as close to the pond as possible, try to use all PVC pipe on the suction side.

32 minutes ago, grollies said:

You've got about 1m of PVC pipe on the suction then a flexible hose connected. Unless the flexible hose is steel wire reinforced suction hose it's going to pull flat somewhere. That or as FJ says, the tiniest leak of air on the suction hose will not prime. Move the pump as close to the pond as possible, try to use all PVC pipe on the suction side.

I think that will be the solution as well yes. 

Going asap to fix and try again. Kind of lost it, when trying and trying over and over again, and I know from working offshore how shit a centrufugalpump can be, when you first loose suction on them. Especial when mixing on fly. But at least you have certified international connections and so on. 

13 minutes ago, Tagged said:

I give up, got 100 liter up, and then, f,,,,, it, new pump

39E7F812-6D2E-4473-AB3C-8A94EB3BECB7.jpeg

Don't forget, wire armoured 2" suction hose. Strainer at the pond, leather washer at the pumphead (or make washer from old wellie boot). Like your style, good luck. You can  interchange the pumphead for a concrete vibrator hose too if your going to be building (Hondas you can anyway). Two in one!

Archived