Age of Consent and Extortion - Statutory Rape

Thomas J

54 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They are if they're married.

It's so much easier in Muslim countries where if you're married you can have sex, and if you aren't married sex is a criminal offence.

Lets not even go into the thought process of Muslim countries where if a woman is raped she can be stoned to death.  

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Thomas J said:
2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

They are if they're married.

It's so much easier in Muslim countries where if you're married you can have sex, and if you aren't married sex is a criminal offence.

Lets not even go into the thought process of Muslim countries where if a woman is raped she can be stoned to death.

The Thai law actually mention "if married" as option, even the legal marriage age is 18 years; however some Thai village marriages up Isaan – not at all Muslim, but Buddhist – are with girls aged around 15 years, but the marriages are not registered. The Thai law seem to take that into consideration as kind of legal. In some cases the girls are younger, I met a girl that got village married at 12, and had two children when she was 14, her cousin (or so) at 16 – who after finishing school got a job as maid by us – was considered extremely weird by the villagers, as she was not married.

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

The Thai law actually mention "if married" as option, even the legal marriage age is 18 years; however some Thai village marriages up Isaan – not at all Muslim, but Buddhist – are with girls aged around 15 years, but the marriages are not registered. The Thai law seem to take that into consideration as kind of legal. In some cases the girls are younger, I met a girl that got village married at 12, and had two children when she was 14, her cousin (or so) at 16 – who after finishing school got a job as maid by us – was considered extremely weird by the villagers, as she was not married.

You're completely wrong, you can get married at any Amphur office from age 13 with a permission letter from a judge.

On 6/13/2019 at 9:28 AM, Thomas J said:

What is the age of consent here in Thailand?

Age of consent is 16. There is no "statutory rape law". If he has to go to court he most likely is set free, depending on testimony of his GF. If they are engaged ... well, how could that be "rape"?

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

In most countries you can marry - with consent of the parents - with age of 14. I would not be surprised if in Thailand it is 13. Never dug into it, does not interest me. The rest of your post is close to racist. Why do you funky think that laws in Thailand or Isaan are not laws? Hu? 

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You're completely wrong, you can get married at any Amphur office from age 13 with a permission letter from a judge.

Marriage Law of Thailand...

Section 1448. A marriage can occur only when the man and woman have finished their seventeenth year of age. But the Court may, in case of having appropriate reason, permit them to marry before attaining such age.

To my knowledge, village marriages with young teens are not registered, like many other Thai-Thai village marriages.

1 hour ago, Enki said:

In most countries you can marry - with consent of the parents - with age of 14. I would not be surprised if in Thailand it is 13. Never dug into it, does not interest me. The rest of your post is close to racist. Why do you funky think that laws in Thailand or Isaan are not laws? Hu? 

Thanks for your comment, but why do you think its racist..?

12 hours ago, Enki said:

Age of consent is 16. There is no "statutory rape law". If he has to go to court he most likely is set free, depending on testimony of his GF. If they are engaged ... well, how could that be "rape"?

In many western countries, (not sure about Asian statutes ) there is a crime of "rape in marriage" non consensual intercourse, seems that is not the case here though.

5 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

In many western countries, (not sure about Asian statutes ) there is a crime of "rape in marriage" non consensual intercourse, seems that is not the case here though.

I've heard that If the wife (Thai law, marriage) refuses sex, it's deemed a just cause for divorce......

On 6/16/2019 at 9:59 AM, pgrahmm said:

I've heard that If the wife (Thai law, marriage) refuses sex, it's deemed a just cause for divorce......

There are no "just" or "unjust" causes. Either you divorce in common agreement, or one goes to court and a judge makes the divorce ... thats it.

Archived